By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Religion/Politics Threads: This really needs to stop(plus a poll)

What is your opinion on this matter?

I'm fine with these threads. 74 28.68%

They seriously need to stop. 115 44.57%

Couldn't care less. 69 26.74%

Total:258

it's been a growing trend for the same users to make arguments about religion that have done nothing but raise silly insults and a nonstop back-and-forth style of conversation that does nothing but make the issue worse.

I don't mind if people want to discuss religion, but for the past few threads we've received, they've been nothing but toxic. Seeing these types of threads do nothing but push away new users and make current users want to leave due to these childish threads. 

I say a poll needs to be made on what everyone thinks about these current religious threads. If I'm the outlier, then these threads can continue. However, at the current rate, we'll continue to see these idiotic threads be churned out daily.

I'd also like to hear a moderator/moderator's piece on this.

Example of the toxic threads:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221321&page=1

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221365&page=1#

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221363&page=1

I don't want this place to become even more ruined. I just stopped making politics threads, and a lot of other people have done the same. I have realized that this significantly improved the website. Religious threads would be even worse than the political threads we were bombarded with a few months ago.

EDIT: For those saying I hate free speech or want to ban anything non-gaming related, that is not even close to what I said. Simply put, I expressed a dislike for the trollish religious threads that have been appearing recently. Instead of just giving the ban hammer to everything, I thought it'd be worth pointing this issue out and seeing if there's any valid solution

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

As an agnostic, I agree with this 100%!!! It would be nice to have discussion regarding intelligent design but it's pretty discouraging to touch on the topic when anyone who isn't an atheist is labeled as ignorant or stupid.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but we shouldn't have a poltical thread anymore. It causes far to many flame-wars, and does no good. If someone really needs to post something political, they can do it in a billion other places (neo-gaf, reddit, even 4chan is a better place since its not here). I get that people will still post relgious stuff on the "general" forum, but it will at least slow down this sort of crap. This community is surprising good for anything online, and if removing the political thread does any good, it should happen.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

aLkaLiNE said:
As an agnostic, I agree with this 100%!!! It would be nice to have discussion regarding intelligent design but it's pretty discouraging to touch on the topic when anyone who isn't an atheist is labeled as ignorant or stupid.

Exactly! Now look I have very very liberal in my views on science, but I'm still "Christan". I admit I don't attend church and have barely read anything in the bible, but I still believe in god. Maybe my views fit in more with a different religion, but people who do have religious views shouldn't be treated as "insane people".

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

The only people these threads will push away are those that participate in them but dont have the armor to deal with it. These kinds of threads are the least of this sites content problems. We need to re evaluate what draw/focus of this site is.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
I'm surprised there is no religion forum. I mean there is a politics one, but not religion?

Also there is no poll.

I'm a dumbass lmao

Just posted it. Thanks for the reminder

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

barneystinson69 said:

I can't believe I'm saying it, but we shouldn't have a poltical thread anymore. It causes far to many flame-wars, and does no good. If someone really needs to post something political, they can do it in a billion other places (neo-gaf, reddit, even 4chan is a better place since its not here). I get that people will still post relgious stuff on the "general" forum, but it will at least slow down this sort of crap. This community is surprising good for anything online, and if removing the political thread does any good, it should happen.

Not only does religious talk cause flame wars but many other gaming related threads.

OP- You can't really say this and this can't really be discussed because it's an open forum. There are not only religious threads that are toxic but also video game threads that are toxic and you can't stop something because you do not like it. My advice is just to ignore these threads. There's a way to stop political threads to not show in your hot topics.

Also voted that i could care less because i usually try to ignore them.

Some users seem to be trying to use this forum as a place to win converts to their side, be it religious, political, or "mainstream media is lying but this fringe website I found is totally telling the truth." It's turning these forums into a cesspool.

jason1637 said:
barneystinson69 said:

Not only does religious talk cause flame wars but many other gaming related threads.

OP- You can't really say this and this can't really be discussed because it's an open forum. There are not only religious threads that are toxic but also video game threads that are toxic and you can't stop something because you do not like it. My advice is just to ignore these threads. There's a way to stop political threads to not show in your hot topics.

Kind of where I wanted to start in previous post. I agree 100%. If we want to  get rid of toxic let start with primary purpose of site first.