By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer Says Xbox One Isn't As Big In Japan Due to Preferring Games Like Persona 5 or Nioh

He knows what the problem is but he refuses to address said problem by getting Japanese games on Xbox. Oh well, not that i care; got my PlayStation 4.

Around the Network
WC4Life said:
GribbleGrunger said:
'Persona' is definitely the problem but not in the way Spencer thinks.

I think Spencer knows but this is PR-mode. It's very rare, almost non-existant that CEOs, corporate chiefs, division leaders...you know big shots, would go out there and publicly talk about the ugly facts when there is no need to give such an answer. These sort of interviews are always the same, no matter the company, it's puppet talk.

They would be fired if they said anything other than what their bosses allowed.

If they want to gain ground in Japan, MS should cut licensing fees on games sold there to near-zero so publishers have a greater incentive to publish games for the platform. They should slash the price of the XB1 console to encourage sales, either as a second system, or to be a much cheaper way for a consumer to get a current generation system. And, finally, they should shell out for a couple of mega-AAA Japanese exclusives per year. Go with this strategy for a few years and see where things stand.

It isn't as big in Europe or the rest of the world either.

Lawlight said:

Well they have a decent footing/audience in Europe; Japan is pretty much non existent, though; think Xbone is still around  50k sold or so, which is a huge drop off compared to the 1+ million they sold last gen. 

Around the Network

For any Japanese developer's sake, it's a good idea never to have an exclusive title on a MS system. Sakaguchi found out the hard way with Lost Odyssey despite the luck the 360 had at the beginning of the 7th gen against the PS3. It sold ok relatively speaking...but definitely nothing to be cheerful for. A HUGE step back from the sales his FF games were selling. What exactly is Sakaguchi even doing nowadays? Exactly.

I really wish he would come back to developing JRPGs for a Sony system but I heard he had a falling out or something.

Lube Me Up

NobleTeam360 said:
Lawlight said:

Well they have a decent footing/audience in Europe; Japan is pretty much non existent, though; think Xbone is still around  50k sold or so, which is a huge drop off compared to the 1+ million they sold last gen. 

I'm just commenting on his wording. He should have said non-existent as you did.

Make Lost Odyssy 2. Problem solved.

the only way it will beat PS4 in japan is selling all XBone with a free copy of FFXV