By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer Says Xbox One Isn't As Big In Japan Due to Preferring Games Like Persona 5 or Nioh

'Persona' is definitely the problem but not in the way Spencer thinks.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

The 360 did better in Japan because it had notable Japanese games. With that said, getting games Japan cares about is a waste of money for MS.

Big budget western focused games moves more hardware worldwide. If anything, MS should encourage ports but not fund big Japanese games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

WoodenPints said:
DannyDesario said:

Why do you think no 3rd parties care about the Wii U?  The ports aren't porfitable regardless of being on an extra platform (Batman, Mass Effect, ect), but they are time consuming.  If Wii U sales were lit, devs would be throwing shovelware on there left and right.  They won't make money off Xbox One if they can't even make their 10 million unit break even goal.  lol  The X1 port doesn't pay for itself.

Wii U is a different story all together for getting games ported to it compared to porting games between X1 and PS4 since it's vastly different in power and architecture, As an example If they need 10m to break even and they get that on the PS4 that's all good but then there is no profit in there for them but taking the time to make the games avaliable on Xbox One and PC even if the PS4 outsells them at 5/6 to 1 ratio thats an extra 1.5-2m sales on each of the platforms taking the total to 13-14m and the investment to make it avaliable on other platforms turns to profit.

Since they can just reuse assets, making DLC would be more profitable than throwing the game onto a platform that won't equal its port cost.  There's other paths to making profit than porting.  All I'm saying is I think Square realized they would make more money doing other things (like splitting FFVII into 3 parts and remastering games like FFX and KH2.8 at lower costs than a main game) than just relying on ports that won't meet expectations.  I just don't think an X1 port is worth it fiancially as the audience isn't there.  PC is a whole different beast since that industry is more porfitable as seen by Alan Wake making its money back in 48 hours.  Square just wastes too much money in general and the resources and money used to port to the Xbox One could go to other things like an idea similar to those garbage amiibos Nintendo makes bank off of, or other non-gaming things.  (No offense to those who buy them but they're a rip off, one has to be a huge Nintendo enthusiast to buy those)

Currently Playing: N/A

Anime and Studying is life RN

Persona 5 is the biggest jrpg-masterpiece in the last and next years. Cant wait of february !!! < 3

good japanese games are important for xbox, but Yakuza Zero, Kingdom Hearts 2.5 Collection, Ni-Oh, Persona 5 and Tales of Berseria coming only for PS4 in the first 2017-quarter. i think, phil spencer want the big games from japan in future. But.. the chance is not big in my opinion. Nier Automata, Shenmue 3, Death Stranding and World of Final Fantasy are coming for PS4 too, but not for X1. That is a big problem.

Qwark said:
Change isn't that big to litteraly non existing. But yes Japanese people enjoy different games than gamers in the West. Although big IP's like Uncharted, The Witcher, Star wars and a few others still sell decently in Japan.

Uncharted 4 did in Japan what Forza Horizon 3 did in the USA, Isn't that bad. There are over 3.5 millions of PS4 on Japan agaisnt 12+ millions of Xbox One on the USA.

The interesting thing is that not even Recore charted on Japan's software rank. It only needed to sell above 1500-2000 units, on launch, to chart.

It seems that the people who purchase the Xbox on Japan are mainly from western countries that want to play Xbox games.

Around the Network
WoodenPints said:
DannyDesario said:

Why do you think no 3rd parties care about the Wii U?  The ports aren't porfitable regardless of being on an extra platform (Batman, Mass Effect, ect), but they are time consuming.  If Wii U sales were lit, devs would be throwing shovelware on there left and right.  They won't make money off Xbox One if they can't even make their 10 million unit break even goal.  lol  The X1 port doesn't pay for itself.

Wii U is a different story all together for getting games ported to it compared to porting games between X1 and PS4 since it's vastly different in power and architecture, As an example If they need 10m to break even and they get that on the PS4 that's all good but then there is no profit in there for them but taking the time to make the games avaliable on Xbox One and PC even if the PS4 outsells them at 5/6 to 1 ratio thats an extra 1.5-2m sales on each of the platforms taking the total to 13-14m and the investment to make it avaliable on other platforms turns to profit.

I don't know much about the Wii U's hardware, but I think that it is more powerful than the PS3 and Xbox 360. Even so they released games for the previous gen and nothing for the Wii U. In the kickstarter campaing of a racing game, I think that was Project Cars, they included a Wiiu version, but I don't know if they already released that.

You need time to develop to other consoles.  The game need to marketed in both versions + production costs. Those companies need to make profit in the hundreds of millions with those games.

If it is an extra 15-20 millions to make the Xbox One version and it only sells 1 million with the profit rate of 30US$ per unit, it won't be enought for Square or for other big companies. 

Square is the tipe of company that makes big and small games, if they lend 30-50 people for the Xbox One's version, they would  get more money if those people work in another game instead. Like their mobile games, or  other games like World of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest builders/heroes etc. That will probably sell more  than the Xbox One's version of FFXV, Kingdom Hearts 3.

Mr Puggsly said:
The 360 did better in Japan because it had notable Japanese games. With that said, getting games Japan cares about is a waste of money for MS.

Big budget western focused games moves more hardware worldwide. If anything, MS should encourage ports but not fund big Japanese games.

This so much. Japan isn't that huge into console gaming anyways.

Wow I didn't see this coming

GribbleGrunger said:
'Persona' is definitely the problem but not in the way Spencer thinks.

I think Spencer knows but this is PR-mode. It's very rare, almost non-existant that CEOs, corporate chiefs, division leaders...you know big shots, would go out there and publicly talk about the ugly facts when there is no need to give such an answer. These sort of interviews are always the same, no matter the company, it's puppet talk.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

foodfather said:
Shame really. The 360 was the place to be in the early days of last gen with the fantastic Lost Odyssey. Still the best JRPG I've played since it released

Yeah and this gen that scene is almost entirely lost to Sony. They really did weather that storm last gen.