By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - World Atheism will never happen. Why you can not kill God.

Tagged games:

Will worldwide atheism ever happen?

No, faith is part of being human. 79 49.07%

Yes, soon enough all men will be atheists. 82 50.93%

Total:161

Life has been on this planet something like 4 billion years of which only a few thousand years have had religion and its already getting to the point where new religions are almost impossible to start. In modern thinking societies it has become far less significant. Religion is a disease of the mind and we are gradually learning more how to vaccinate and protect against it.

Still admittedly it has influence and is the cause of much hatred, intolerance and persecution in the world.

Around the Network

Just because some religious ideologies will survive does not give them legitimacy. I mean we also still have nazis and other sects around despite our best efforts to eradicate them.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I don't think it will ever happen on a global scale. People became less religious, but most even when not following religion still believe in god or some form of it. And in times of despair even the some very hardcore theist hope for a deity to help them.

If it began naturally them it's part of human being and its society and very very hardly will cease to exist.

This question is like asking if prejudice will ever end or poverty, the first is a defense mechanism on human being so everyone is biased and prejudiced in some way or form. Same with poverty, everyone is born poor and dumb and through learning and work improve oneself.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

bonzobanana said:
Life has been on this planet something like 4 billion years of which only a few thousand years have had religion and its already getting to the point where new religions are almost impossible to start. In modern thinking societies it has become far less significant. Religion is a disease of the mind and we are gradually learning more how to vaccinate and protect against it.

Still admittedly it has influence and is the cause of much hatred, intolerance and persecution in the world.

I think we do not need religion to feel hatred and anger, and evil would still exist without religion or faith. But, then again, I do not think it is possible to erradicate faith.]

Even if the day comes when society decides to kill all people of faith and destroy all religious texts, it will still somehow survive and begin to grow again. 

A lot like THE BOOK OF ELI scenario

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

vivster said:
You are definitely living proof why religion of any kind will never die. Religion will only die together with humanity because only then we will have wiped out all ignorance.

I agree. But I do not ignore most of the things you know, it is just not conving to me. Ignorance means not knowing, I know the same data, but it is not convincing to me.

Just like most of you, 99% of you heard the gospel already, but it is not convincing to you.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
Cirio said:
Well the 2 major religions (Christianity and Islam) already disagree with you because according to them, religion and the belief in God will be almost entirely diminished. This will mark the end of the world and Jesus Christ will be brought back to fight in the Great War before the Day of Judgement.

So, according to both religion and current trends in society, religion will fade away.

The christian Holy Bible says that in the end of times the whole world will worship the Beast, part of a unholy trinity and the demonic worlwide religion will force people to have a mark to buy and sell, and they will behead people that refuse to worship the beast. So, no atheism what so ever, but a worldwide demonic teocracy.

Islam says the whole world will submit and worship Alah, and them that refuse to do so will be killed. So, not atheism whatsoever.

DonFerrari said:
I don't think it will ever happen on a global scale. People became less religious, but most even when not following religion still believe in god or some form of it. And in times of despair even the some very hardcore theist hope for a deity to help them.

If it began naturally them it's part of human being and its society and very very hardly will cease to exist.

This question is like asking if prejudice will ever end or poverty, the first is a defense mechanism on human being so everyone is biased and prejudiced in some way or form. Same with poverty, everyone is born poor and dumb and through learning and work improve oneself.

I agree, but I think it is more of a cyclical process, people may become more religions in a decade, less in the other.

Crisis always make people more religious as well, if a world war starts or something people suddenly realize how frail they are and remember God.

Then, when prosperity comes, they forget God again. Rinse and repeat.

"Militant atheism is also a form of brain washing, just like organized religion, it is a "us vs. them" paradigm that benefits no one but those that hold or aspire to power."

It's not brainwashing.  Brainwashing involves particular techniques.  For example, telling people at a young age, before they can think critically, that they will be tortured forever for not believing a certain way, is brainwashing.  Arguing with grown people that their way of thinking is wrong and (possibly) idiotic, is not.  Look into brainwashing, and tell me how any of the tactics used by atheists fit that criteria.

"People like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens taught us nothing but to hate people that believe in God, Jesus Christ or the supernatural in general."

This is straight up bullshit. Please show me something from either of these people that encourages us to hate all believers.

"For every smart atheist that appears, we have also a amazing christian apologist to answer with the same propriety. Like Frank Turek, John Lennox, Willian Lane Craig and even David Berlinki."

I haven't heard Lennox or Berlinki, but if Turek and Craig are your best examples of apologists, then you're making a poor case. I'll address Craig since I'm more familiar with him.

Craig is a trained parrot, who has memorized one argument (a weak version of the cosmological argument) and uses it on ANY topic relating to religion, whether he is discussing the problem of evil, the historocity of Jesus, or the existence of god. His entire premise rests on a complete misunderstanding of the big bang model, which at this point has to be intentional, since several notable physicists (Lawrence Krauss for instance) has pointed out its flaws.

The foundation of his argument is that the universe had a beginning, which is absolutely unproven. The big bang does not describe the creation of the universe, it describes its expansion from a singularity. Physicists have definitely not determined that the universe is not eternal, and many physicists believe that it is eternal.

Craig's arguments are only convincing to those who do not really understand even the basics of physics, and do not wish to try and learn as it may challenge their world view.

"As for world peace, just watch GO GOD GO cartoon from South Park, a amazing "what if " history of how a world without faith, if possible, would have war just the same."

If you want to be taken seriously, don't try to use South Park as an example. I'm a huge South Park fan, but it is ultimately a cartoon. The episode you're referring to is definitely not a "what if history" that attempts to actually show what a world without faith existed. I think that the war with a tribe of talking atheist otters should be a dead giveaway that this was not meant as any sort of actual prediction.

It kind of depends on what you mean by "world atheism". The world is far less religious today than at almost any other time in history. And atheism isn't a set or rules or ideas that you subscribe to, since it is the very lack of belief in imaginary entities. So, will the world move even further towards not believing in imaginary things? I think, and hope so.

Stephen Fry is a role model for anyone who is a non-believer, he can be extremely critical with religions but is not an antitheist, like Christopher Hitchens was.

Religions die, we've had religions for all of humanity.

But the difference is we have proper record keeping. New religions can't really start because we'll know that the world didn't flood or any divine shit happened.

So when these ones die no new ones will be able to replace it. So eventually Religion (mass scale religion) will die. And we'll be left with small cults.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'