By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation VR First Impressions

One more question: how much room will need? Hopefully, not very much. Gonna try to find one in the morning.

Around the Network

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/29/12321092/playstation-vr-space-requirement

I'm playing about 5ft (1.5m) away, with a space of about 4ft (1.2m) x 7ft (2.1m) and I haven't had any problems. Granted I haven't played games like Job Simulator which have a little bit of movement involved/may require the extra space.

I played DriveClub, still not a fan of that game, it took me such a long time to get the focus right and I just never feel a sense of speed when playing it, this didn't change that. Plus with the concessions made to the graphics, it's not nice to look at.

Battlezone felt really good, same with Eve Valkyrie but the games are too pricey for what you get.

Wayward Sky was a lot of fun, sitting on the first screen just messing with the different objects, tossing the play I had my I feel like a kid moment, so awesome will likely pick that up.

The London Heist, felt cool with the gun action, but again from what I've seen of what you get in PlayStation Worlds it's a bit pricey for me atm.

SvennoJ said:

Btw Hustle kings and super hypercube don't have a playable demo on the Canadian demo disc, only some info. Other than that it is still by far the best demo disc I've ever played. No need to pick a game up right away, easily 8-10 hours of fun out of that demo disc.

There's a Super Hypercube demo on the store, in the UK at least. We also seem to have a few missing games, the demo disk hadn't updated when I was playing so maybe more were added as downloads.

Don't ruin the moment

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PC/PS4), Dead Cells (PC)

LordyPlays on YouTube

What I like about PSVR is, that you can try out demo versions of most interesting PSVR games + apps.

I hate to buy the cat in the bag. For normal games review + youtube videos are good enough for me to assess, if I will like that game... but with VR games it is better to try before buying, if they make you uncomfortable.

After downloading the "PSVR Demo Disc" (US PSN version), you can already test these:

Allumette
Battlezone
DriveClub VR
Eve: Valkyrie
Gnog
Harmonix Music VR
Headmaster
Here They Lie
Job Simulator
PlayStation VR Worlds
Resident Evil 7
Rez Infinite
RIGS Mechanized Combat League
Thumper
Tumble VR
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
Wayward Sky
Within

I also found these demos at the PS Store:

Godzilla VR (PSN Japan)
Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live
Invasion!
LittleStar VR Cinema
Superhypercube
The Playroom VR
Tumble VR
Vrideo VR

Did I miss any?

There is a Danganronpa VR demo in the Japanese PS Store, but it seems to be exclusive for PS+ members :(((

And does anyone know, if the Japanese demo version of DoA Xtreme 3 has the PSVR mode already implemented? It got an update to version 1.11, but I couldn't find a PSVR option in the menues.

And how is the demo situation for PC VR games?

I browsed through the most popular/relevant VR games on Steam... almost none of them offered a demo version. Of course you could buy them and get a refund... but if you overdo that, your Steam account could be frozen.

I was really impressed by the image quality. I already tested it before, but that was way back when it was still called Morpheus. I don't know if they upgraded the screen since then or whatever. But I really liked it when trying out at a friend of mine. The image looks a good chunk better than on my Oculus and it also tops the Vive! Pixels are far less visible, also screen-door effect isn't as bad! I don't know which magic this is that lets it look better than my Oculus and Gear VR, both of which feature a significantly higher resolution. But I really liked it.

The resolution was a big bummer for me and I was kinda disappointed by VR. PSVR got me back in. Won't get it immediately though. I pre-ordered the PS4 Pro just yesterday, because I want the best VR experience possible. Also, PSVR seems to be sold out until November here in germany anyway. xP

Sony nailed it with this one, they blew my expectations away. I'm still not convinced VR will ever reach the mass market, but PSVR is by far the best offering right now if you ask me.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Great review, nice to hear that you enjoy it and even better games will come down the line :).

Around the Network
OdinHades said:

The image looks a good chunk better than on my Oculus and it also tops the Vive! Pixels are far less visible, also screen-door effect isn't as bad! I don't know which magic this is that lets it look better than my Oculus and Gear VR, both of which feature a significantly higher resolution. But I really liked it.

sony added RGB subpixels, which help smooth out the image.

also sonys headset can support 120Hz. The Rift and Vive use 90Hz displays.

OdinHades said:

I was really impressed by the image quality. I already tested it before, but that was way back when it was still called Morpheus. I don't know if they upgraded the screen since then or whatever. But I really liked it when trying out at a friend of mine. The image looks a good chunk better than on my Oculus and it also tops the Vive! Pixels are far less visible, also screen-door effect isn't as bad! I don't know which magic this is that lets it look better than my Oculus and Gear VR, both of which feature a significantly higher resolution. But I really liked it.

The resolution was a big bummer for me and I was kinda disappointed by VR. PSVR got me back in. Won't get it immediately though. I pre-ordered the PS4 Pro just yesterday, because I want the best VR experience possible. Also, PSVR seems to be sold out until November here in germany anyway. xP

Sony nailed it with this one, they blew my expectations away. I'm still not convinced VR will ever reach the mass market, but PSVR is by far the best offering right now if you ask me.

It's funny. My first impression was just the opposite of yours. I cancelled my pre-order after trying the PS VR out. It isn't bad for the lower price, but I also own the Rift, so it wouldn't make sense buy another device that would provide an inferior experience.

I would guess that the PS VR's magic may be the refresh rate. The PlayStation VR features a single 1920x1080 display, which boils down to 960 x 1080 per eye, although it does support a max refresh rate of 120Hz, compared to the Rift’s 90Hz.

The difference in resolution is very obviously apparent though. Maybe you liked the PS VR more because the Rift’s extra resolution make everything noticeably sharper. When Eurogamer reviewed Driveclub VR, they said it was like playing the game underwater. 

Don't get me wrong. It's nice that more people can try VR. I also don't believe that it will reach the mass market, but it's nice that Sony is at the least trying.  

even though rift has better res, the sony has the better display with rgb subpixels and 120hz

My biggest holdup on it (besides I'd like more games) is the display.

Does it look good or not when playing a game? I've seen exact opposite reactions on the internet which confuses the situation. Even in this thread we have opinions from it being 480pish looking to better than rift or vive.

I wish someone I know had bought this because for me it's a try before buy. It's not as though $500 is a lot of money but I see no reason to buy it if I get home and it looks like I'm playing the wii or something because I'll just toss it in a closet next to a very expensive racing wheel I bought once because I got excited (I don't even play racing games, go figure).

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Lrdfancypants said:

My biggest holdup on it (besides I'd like more games) is the display.

Does it look good or not when playing a game? I've seen exact opposite reactions on the internet which confuses the situation. Even in this thread we have opinions from it being 480pish looking to better than rift or vive.

I wish someone I know had bought this because for me it's a try before buy. It's not as though $500 is a lot of money but I see no reason to buy it if I get home and it looks like I'm playing the wii or something because I'll just toss it in a closet next to a very expensive racing wheel I bought once because I got excited (I don't even play racing games, go figure).

It is kind of a mixed bag right now. Things like Batman, The London Heist, Ocen Decent, Battlezone, Job Simulator, all look really good. Then you have stuff like Luge, RIGS, Driveclub, and a few others that look very low res. It may just be down to some of the games are running at less that full resolution. I don't know, because I am not a Pivel counter. 

So far, I have really enjoyed the games I have played though. Even games where the graphics/image quality is rough, the gameplay and experience is unmatchable by traditional controller and TV games. I am very interested to see how much of a difference Pro makes next moth. I will do an update when it finally arrives.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL