By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XV goes back to its roots

vivster said:
BasilZero said:

Dont care what you think - I'm still gonna consider it as male.

Sure, the only male white mage in the History of Final Fantasy is in the first one despite all subsequent ones being obviously female and it even being depicted as a female in the remakes. Obviously that leaves male as the only conclusion.

Aside from the original sprites looking male and Amano's art seeming to depict male heroes, there are references made to the four Light Warriors being male at least a few times in the original game. I think Princess Sarah's sister calls them her "big brothers", Garland addresses them with a typically male term (can't recall what exactly) and they are refered to as all being handsome by occasional female npcs etc. This is in the original Japanese text and I think some made it into the NES version too. Also, Square didn't really care about sticking to character class conventions since the first named white mage in the series is definitely male, Minwu in FFII.

I still always give my white mage a female name though.

But besides all that FFXV does call back to its roots, about as much as several other titles really. It seems almost every game reuses elements from earlier titles while adding in something new, even if FF had never done an all male or all female party it could draw upon many other aspects of earlier games.

Around the Network

Eeh... nothing alike. That FF root can be splatered on every party based JRPG. Actually, you could replace those screen with dragon quest 1 and a similar effect would be achieved. Its a bit reaching...

BasilZero said:
Ka-pi96 said:

But FFVIII`s battle system was effectively the same as VII & IX...

Unless you mean it`s character development system?

Well I meant to say game system and not just the battle system.

The Junction System

The Limit break system

The fact that all enemies scale up to match the party's average level

The way you earn money

The way you upgrade your weapons

It just felt like a chore more than something that should be fun. 2nd closest to the worst FF game which is 2.

Only saving grace is the story, characters, setting and music.

To me this made the diference, FF VIII is my fav PS1 game from squaresoft (Yes I played them all and I still play them to date)

Ib going back to it's roots well it deliver same experiance?, I highly doubt that, to me FF IX was the only successor to old schoo; FF, with Kitase now in charge the series will continue in the direction created by FF VII, even though they will use some resemblance to get fans excited

Biggest quistion I have on the new game is will the battle system work?, this isn't a soul game or Kingdom hearts, or any action RPG this is a team based adventure turned into  an action RPG

I too don't mind the change, and if it works I will praise this one as so far all the other things I've seen from this game is promising and exciting

I only wish the game was a wee bit more action-oriented, and that they would just tell the turn-based fans to go play Bravely Default if that's what they want.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

BasilZero said:
Ka-pi96 said:
IIRC FF`s roots weren`t a sausage fest though...

Technically the very first FF game and the original third FF game only had male characters so FFXV isnt the first game to have a all male party. Besides X-2 only had female playable characters so this type of thing isnt new.

FFV as far as I know had a harem as well... 

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

At least we can all agree that XV will be better than VIII

I mean, just like with every game, it has a chance, but no fucking way a Tabata directed game beats the best mainline Final Fantasy game.

BasilZero said:

You are right, XV cant beat Final Fantasy IX. Finally you live up to your name even if it is spelled WRONG :p

Oh yeah, sorry, my mistake. Final Fantasy IX yeah, that fantastic game with Zell, the SeeD, Ragnarok, the Laguna flashbacks and so many great memories and sequences. Thank you for the correction Chocobo-dude!

BasilZero said:
Wright said:

Oh yeah, sorry, my mistake. Final Fantasy IX yeah, that fantastic game with Zell, the SeeD, Ragnarok, the Laguna flashbacks and so many great memories and sequences. Thank you for the correction Chocobo-dude!

Hmm - dont remember any of that in FFIX - well except for Ragnarok - such an awesome weapon for one of the best characters : Steiner ;)

Ragnarok, a weapon? Well, it has a 609mm Charged Particle Cannon, so I guess it can count as one. Steiner? Don't remember, is that a Guardian Force that you find? Yeah, probably that.

Lovely, at least they have the lore and FF style there even if the main bit I would like isn't.

Azuren said:
I only wish the game was a wee bit more action-oriented, and that they would just tell the turn-based fans to go play Bravely Default if that's what they want.

We want Final Fantasy. Sorry it's traditional gameplay is something you don't like.... makes me wonder why you are interested in the series really.

Hmm, pie.

RavenXtra said:
BasilZero said:
Its worth mentioning that the last FF game to include a story about crystals was Final Fantasy V (where majority of the monsters and references were used to compare to FFXV's bestiary.)

Final Fantasy IX says hello?

Pretty sure all the previous FF games had crystals in some way, sometimes very unobvious. The thing is they are never specifically called 'Crystals'. FFXIII had the leveling system and the idea people turned to Crystal when they completed their thing. FF12 had nethicite. FFX... hardly but the spheres in the game (like in temples). FF9 is obvious. FF8, the Crystal Pillar. FF7 materia. FF6 magecite. FF5 primary part of the story... etc.

So while not obvious, Crystals still exist. Yet this is much like a lot of other lore and stables in the FF world. Chocobos were pretty big in 7 and 9, nigh on non-existant in 8 and 13.

Hmm, pie.