By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XV goes back to its roots

For me it would go back to the roots, if there would be again turnbased battlesystem, but i know that isn't the wish of many...but wait there is world of ff...;)

Around the Network
Wright said:
BasilZero said:

At least we can all agree that XV will be better than VIII

I mean, just like with every game, it has a chance, but no fucking way a Tabata directed game beats the best mainline Final Fantasy game.

You literally contradicted yourself in the same sentence... I dig FFVIII to death and it's my favorite FF but even I can see this one topping it if everything's done wonderfully... 

I approve of this banter. Keep it coming guys, entertain me!

And to add to the thread...

Every iteration has the same (or close to) concepts like a Cid, Chocobo's, Moogle, Summons and what not. Ah yeah Crystals... I remember Type-0 being about crystals as well. Roots might be exaggerating ;).

I, for one, just hope that the story they are telling is a good one. One that doesn't make me question someones actions, or makes me wonder what my motivation is. I seem to have a hard time getting into games lately, it all ends up being one long grind to the end instead of taking me along for the ride. Like, yes, the older Final Fantasies brought to the table for me. Although the budget was ridiculous, Uncharted 4 managed to be more than interesting at least, just like Beyond: Two souls was. Memorable stories or events that i can look back on with a feeling of nostalgia if I may call it that. I am enjoying playing through Rogue Galaxy and Arc the Lad wondering where it all went wrong...
Give me Xenosaga any time of day and I will be a happy casual again. Now I am just grinding my way through the likes of Batman, AssCreed and even Star Ocean.

So male or no male cast, I will get over the 'running in a team'. No vistas or surroundings to enjoy by yourself, pondering life while enjoying some awesome midi tunes. Just give me the goddamn story I have been craving for for so long!

So, come november, I will meet up with a friend to watch the prequels to this story. I am a little worried though that SE this time manages to fuck things up even before I insert the disc of the game. I will keep an open mind though, just don't pretend I am an idiot who can't see through bad storytelling.

Wow, seems I had to get that off my chest.

AsGryffynn said:
Wright said:

I mean, just like with every game, it has a chance, but no fucking way a Tabata directed game beats the best mainline Final Fantasy game.

You literally contradicted yourself in the same sentence... I dig FFVIII to death and it's my favorite FF but even I can see this one topping it if everything's done wonderfully... 

The first part of my sentence reflects something that I think it's true for every sequel in regards to its predecessors. The later part of it reflects my view on Tabata's powers when directing games...which is atrocious. Hence why I hold this dissonance within myself until the game releases.

Okie_Loki said:
I don't care if FF has an all male, all female, or mixed cast. It was never about that for me. It was the elaborate fantasy stories that the game led us on. Romance. Saving the world, etc.

I'm going to hold off on getting XV for now, I may wait for a master collection edition or something if they end up dropping a ton of DLC for it. Right now World of Final Fantasy is all that's on my radar.

Yea I'm waiting as well. I'm in no rush to get it and I want to see if they announce a PC release eventually. 

Around the Network
weaveworld said:
I approve of this banter. Keep it coming guys, entertain me!

And to add to the thread...

Every iteration has the same (or close to) concepts like a Cid, Chocobo's, Moogle, Summons and what not. Ah yeah Crystals... I remember Type-0 being about crystals as well. Roots might be exaggerating ;).

I, for one, just hope that the story they are telling is a good one. One that doesn't make me question someones actions, or makes me wonder what my motivation is. I seem to have a hard time getting into games lately, it all ends up being one long grind to the end instead of taking me along for the ride. Like, yes, the older Final Fantasies brought to the table for me. Although the budget was ridiculous, Uncharted 4 managed to be more than interesting at least, just like Beyond: Two souls was. Memorable stories or events that i can look back on with a feeling of nostalgia if I may call it that. I am enjoying playing through Rogue Galaxy and Arc the Lad wondering where it all went wrong...
Give me Xenosaga any time of day and I will be a happy casual again. Now I am just grinding my way through the likes of Batman, AssCreed and even Star Ocean.

So male or no male cast, I will get over the 'running in a team'. No vistas or surroundings to enjoy by yourself, pondering life while enjoying some awesome midi tunes. Just give me the goddamn story I have been craving for for so long!

So, come november, I will meet up with a friend to watch the prequels to this story. I am a little worried though that SE this time manages to fuck things up even before I insert the disc of the game. I will keep an open mind though, just don't pretend I am an idiot who can't see through bad storytelling.

Wow, seems I had to get that off my chest.

Get things off your chest, the game seems to be one of much controversy so any views and opinions are welcome.

The main saving grace in my view of this game is the idea that while taking away the very gameplay the series is known for (seriously, the demo had platforming and collectables... in an FF game, wth), at least it has all the lore the FF games are known for, even if it varying degrees. And a great story might keep people playing/interested. 

As long as the story is told via in game narrative instead of assuming we know everything and putting a message at the bottom of the screen saying 'read the datalog', I'll be happy on that front. The emo fest of FF13 is the only FF game I've not played more than once... sad really.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

The emo fest of FF13 is the only FF game I've not played more than once... sad really.

Emo fest? People that defies destiny, who only once in the game they lose the will to go on and regain it afterwards? We clearly have different views about what constitutes "emo".

Ka-pi96 said:
Wright said:

Emo fest? People that defies destiny, who only once in the game they lose the will to go on and regain it afterwards? We clearly have different views about what constitutes "emo".

Could one not argue that rather than defying destiny it was in fact their destiny to fight against the path expected of them?

But they had no way of knowing that for most of the game, so they thought they were doing so in the first place; which then again not something I would necessarily associate with emo-type people.

Azuren said:
deskpro2k3 said:
There is one FF game that goes back to the roots, it's FFXIV. Job system, crystals, even the lifestream.

Too bad it's barely acceptable as far as MMOs go.

I mean, there's things to complain about in FF14, but it's still the best MMO released in the past 5 years without question.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

BasilZero said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I didn`t say it was a bad thing, but I also don`t see it as a good thing. It`s more of a `I couldn`t care less thing` to me. So saying not releasing on mobile is a bad thing for FFVIII doesn`t really work in my view, I mean, why should I care whether it`s released on a platform that I`ll never play on anyway? More people able to buy it? I`m not an SE shareholder so... meh.

I'm not a SE shareholder either nor do I have the time and money to waste on pointless ventures like that.

But I am a fan of the series....... and seeing a game getting re-released and likely improved as well bodes well for a chance of things like a remake (like FFVII is getting) or a potential sequel/prequel to occur (like FFIV, FFVII, FFX, FFXII, and FFXIII did). It means more games I get to play from the franchise that I love to play.

Even though I have Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy IX on both Playstation and PC - I do still plan to get them all on iOS in the future whenever that may be.

Right now I have Final Fantasy 1 and 2 on iOS along with Exvius, Record Keeper and Mobius too.

Anyways, tl;dr - you might want to eat your own words though @ bolded/italic/underlined

Basil, here we have a fundamental disagreement. I think the constant focus and outpour of resources into ports and re-releases for little profits is poor. Because it's taking away from what could be far more profitable and ambitious ventures. Square's output of new IPs (or really just not re-released content) has gone down so considerably and I believe it's hurt the  company in some ways. The overreliance on their core fanbase to rebuy their content is a delicate balance that weighing too heavy into milking IMO. Square has done wonderful work with many of their remakes, but a lot of the recent content has been subpar.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.