By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your First Console Game

My personal first-ever home console game was Pole Position II which came packed in with the Atari 7800 in 1987, but I had played several 2600 games at my cousin's house prior to that like Combat, Missile Command, Defender, Breakout and a bunch of others.

I had also played several arcade games in the mid 80s like Galaga, Ms Pac Man and Arkanoid prior to gaming on home consoles.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network

My first console was a second hand Sega Mastersystem with Wonderboy 3, double dragon and bank panic. It also had hang on and safari hunt built in.

Really there's 3 contenders for this; either 'Gunfighter'/'Showdown in 2100AD', 'Duck Hunt' or 'Super Mario Bros.' It could even be 'A Link to the Past', but I probably played NES before NES. I know exactly what games were my first on handheld and a home computer though; 'Tetris' and 'Star Wars Rebel Assault II' respectively. On home console, I was too young to remember precisely, being probably anywhere from 4 to 6 years old.

'Gunfighter' or otherwise known as 'Showdown in 2100AD' is an old arcade shooter from the 70s, similar to the 2600's 'Outlaw', which I played on my mom's old Philips Videopac G7000 from the '70s, known as the Magnavox Odyssey2 mostly elsewhere. Being born in 1988, the game is a decade older than me, but until my mother got a new man, who was actually interested in technology, it was the only system in our house until the N64 in 1997.

In the mean time though my aunt had the NES and later the SNES, which I played with my cousins. So 'Duck Hunt' was a popular game with us. Since 'Super Mario Bros.' is on the same cartridge, that's automatically a contender but I have less clear memories of that game. As far as I remember, my aunt wouldn't really let us play on the SNES, so that's why I probably didn't play Zelda until later.

Most of my money would be on the G7000 game, or 'Duck Hunt'.

Super Mario All-Stars. I'm sure. But I played that in like, 2001 on my cousins SNES. Good times.

Formula 1 98. I liked those things as a kid, so the game was a natural choice from my parents. In hindsight, it's not a very good game, but I had a lot of fun with it back then.

Around the Network

Okami in PCSX2 in 2011

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

first I've played - Battle City and then Super Mario bros on the Nintendo Family computer. I've owned - Twinbee.

Another VCS owner here. Space Invaders was the first game bought with it. Combat was the pack in.

First game I ever played in 1986

Super Mario Bros for NES

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.