By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo lowering the quality of its release ?

Nuvendil said:
Lucas-Rio said:

The problem is that the good games on Wii U first years are:

Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Smash bros, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong TF, all considered great games.

Now the "good games" are Pokken (very average and not Nintendo BTW), Tokyo Mirage , Starfox Zero, and a vastly inferior Paper Mario.

You don't see the downgrade in quality? Be honest.

First, XCX is less than a year ago, that's not long for a game of that size.  Second, Pokken is, imho (and in the opinions of many others) not average, it is quite good.  Third, Tokyo Mirage, while not my thing, is from all accounts very good, perhaps even great.  Fourth you have not even played Paper Mario but the vast majority of reviewers seem to disagree quite strongly, including independent reviewers who vocally and strongly hated Sticker Star (Andre, for example).  Star Fox is a weak point I will concede.  But I will point out Twilight Princess HD, while not a new game, was a good remaster and a very nice addition to the library.

Now, do I see a decrease in release rate?  Yes, but with a new platform coming that is 100% expected.  I personally thought 2015 went rather well overall so this is just 1 year, the year before a new platform.  So I will wait to see what other titles are launching with the NX before casting judgment in that manner.  And none of this touches on the 3DS which has also had some really good games.

You are right for Xenoblade X, but it released in April 2015 in Japan and actually had a long development and was announced very early. It released late on the Wii U but it was a game from the time where Nintendo was ambitious for the Wii U.

For the rest, you seem to agree that Nintendo decreased the quality of its release, multiplying the small uninspired projects on Wii U and withdrawing from the big games. For me Twilight Princess HD is a lazy port designed to bring quick and easy money while deciding to delay Zelda Wii U for the NX.

We have had two zelda remakes, and a WTF spin off (Dynasty Warrior), while the true ambitious Zelda game isn't released yet and won't even be an exclusive.

Around the Network
Lucas-Rio said:
Wyrdness said:

I think you've skewered your own opinion thinking it's fact, Tokyo Mirage for a start is one of the best RPGs out this gen, Pokken is actually a surprisingly good fighting game, Paper Mario is being recieved well, Yoshi WW is recieved well also and Captain Toad is a GOTY nominee. All of this goes against the argument you're pushing here, don't mistake not getting the games only you want with their games not being quality because that's not the case.

Not even close. Tokyo mirage thing is nothing compared to the likes of Xenoblade X, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Persona, Bravely default. Pokken is very average, Paper Mario may be a good game, it's not a great game unlike Super Paper Mario or TYD. Captain Toad being a GOTY nominee is JOTY (joke of the year).  It's not even close to be an effort worth a nomination.

Except Tokyo Mirage is easily comparable to those RPGs have you even played it for a start? It's one of the best RPGs out, I highlight how skewered your argument is as you're trying to knock Paper Mario but praise SPM which is even more questionable of a title in the Paper Mario franchise your lack of response to Captain Toad highlights you have nothing to back up your argument. Only Joke so far is you trying to make your own opinion sound like it's absolute.

StarOcean said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Not even close. Tokyo mirage thing is nothing compared to the likes of Xenoblade X, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Persona, Bravely default. Pokken is very average, Paper Mario may be a good game, it's not a great game unlike Super Paper Mario or TYD. Captain Toad being a GOTY nominee is JOTY (joke of the year).  It's not even close to be an effort worth a nomination.

DQ (besides X which is more of a spin off) and Persona have yet to have releases in the west. So your statement holds no validity. You're just naming off well liked JRPGs

Dragon Quest 7 released, and it's a full remake not just a lazy port. My statements are perfectly valid. Tokyo Mirage isn't even in the contention of being one of the best RPG.

Wyrdness said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Except Tokyo Mirage is easily comparable to those RPGs have you even played it for a start? It's one of the best RPGs out, I highlight how skewered your argument is as you're trying to knock Paper Mario but praise SPM which is even more questionable of a title in the Paper Mario franchise your lack of response to Captain Toad highlights you have nothing to back up your argument. Only Joke so far is you trying to make your own opinion sound like it's absolute.

You may be living in a world where Tokyo Mirage is considered a great JRPG, but this isn't reality. I haven't played it and have no intention to play this crossover full of Japanese pop. But it has been reviewed averagely by the media and by the fans. It failed to make any mark.

Super Paper Mario isn't a RPG, but it was a very clever and well made game. A quality that the Wii U version did not even try to match. Captain Toad is a nothing game to me, a simple treasure finder game with some good level design but with little interest. A small and easy game to make.

We can also argue Mario 3D World is a poor effort compared to the great Galaxy games.

Lucas-Rio said:

You may be living in a world where Tokyo Mirage is considered a great JRPG, but this isn't reality. I haven't played it and have no intention to play this crossover full of Japanese pop. But it has been reviewed averagely by the media and by the fans. It failed to make any mark.

Super Paper Mario isn't a RPG, but it was a very clever and well made game. A quality that the Wii U version did not even try to match. Captain Toad is a nothing game to me, a simple treasure finder game with some good level design but with little interest. A small and easy game to make.

We can also argue Mario 3D World is a poor effort compared to the great Galaxy games.

So in other words you're talking out your ass when trying to rate the quality of the game, I've played it and the gameplay is some of the best in any RPG, Tokyo Mirage also averaged 80% from reviewers further highlighting how you don't know what you're on about here, we've now established you're using no logic what so ever in regards to this game so can disregard anything you have to say about it.

We don't care what a game is to you we're pointing out how utterly broken your argument is here, you can have your opinion but it's not absolute like you believe fact is the level design in the game is highly praised by all who played it you can't argue this, the majority of games out there don't compare to the Galaxy games either.

Around the Network
Lucas-Rio said:
Nuvendil said:

First, XCX is less than a year ago, that's not long for a game of that size.  Second, Pokken is, imho (and in the opinions of many others) not average, it is quite good.  Third, Tokyo Mirage, while not my thing, is from all accounts very good, perhaps even great.  Fourth you have not even played Paper Mario but the vast majority of reviewers seem to disagree quite strongly, including independent reviewers who vocally and strongly hated Sticker Star (Andre, for example).  Star Fox is a weak point I will concede.  But I will point out Twilight Princess HD, while not a new game, was a good remaster and a very nice addition to the library.

Now, do I see a decrease in release rate?  Yes, but with a new platform coming that is 100% expected.  I personally thought 2015 went rather well overall so this is just 1 year, the year before a new platform.  So I will wait to see what other titles are launching with the NX before casting judgment in that manner.  And none of this touches on the 3DS which has also had some really good games.

You are right for Xenoblade X, but it released in April 2015 in Japan and actually had a long development and was announced very early. It released late on the Wii U but it was a game from the time where Nintendo was ambitious for the Wii U.

For the rest, you seem to agree that Nintendo decreased the quality of its release, multiplying the small uninspired projects on Wii U and withdrawing from the big games. For me Twilight Princess HD is a lazy port designed to bring quick and easy money while deciding to delay Zelda Wii U for the NX.

We have had two zelda remakes, and a WTF spin off (Dynasty Warrior), while the true ambitious Zelda game isn't released yet and won't even be an exclusive.

I personally did not find TPHD lazy.  Because I actually remember what the Wii one looked like.  Every texture was remade very well, interior meshes were reworked for higher quality, it was a good HD remaster imho.  The game is just outright old, it would have been very difocult to remaster it better with the same engine.  

I agree sort of.  I do NOT think quality has gone down, just that things have slowed.  I disagree about when it started.   I would say the slow down was mostly the last five or six months, NOT as far back as Captain Toad.  And I also don't see the issue as, again, this is what happends naturally when a platforms life cycle is concluding.

Oh, and Hyrule Warriors is one of the most acclaimed and best selling Warriors games ever.  And many, many fans enjoyed it.  I would NOT write it off.  As for the remasters, WW was super easy and TPHD was mostly outsourced so they didn't take any considerable resources, so I see them as pure gains with next to nothing lost.  And for me, who had never sat down and played a Zelda game seriously, they let me get into the series with truly definitive versions and now I love Zelda sooo yeah, you won't see me complaining.

Lucas-Rio said:
Wyrdness said:

But that statement can be flipped and used against you, too. Oppinions differ. Most people seem to like TMS. A score of 80 isn't even average, by the way it's above.

I've had countless hours of mindless fun with all of the games (safe for amiibo festival) OP mentioned. I cannot agree.

Lucas-Rio said:
Wyrdness said:

It's nice you have an opinion, but you shouldn't dismiss others' praise if you don't think the games are up to snuff.

Lucas-Rio said:
Wyrdness said:

If you haven't played it how do you feel entitled to jugde it? Your opinion is baseless and btw, TMS is actually on the top 3 best rated console JRPG of the gen.

Lucas-Rio said:
Wyrdness said:

70-80 and up is not average. 5/10 is average/mediocre, 6/10 is above average despite many flaws, 7/10 is good. A pass. 

You're obsessed with metacritic and scores, and your standards for what an average game and a good game are is ridiculous. You sound like the common fanboy who only views 9/10 games as great and who checks scores on metacritic constantly.