By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo lowering the quality of its release ?

Most of those games were quite good...

EDIT: Super Paper Mario was garb...I don't know what you are on about

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:

And you say this right now that Color Splash is getting good reviews? lol

Also, in the time they released those games they also released Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fire Emblem Fates, Kirby Planet Robobot, Pokken and Tokyo Mirage Sessions#FE which were received positively.

Btw Captain Toad is a fantastic little game and Yoshi's Woolly World is far from a low quality game.

Being just a good game isn't enough for a Nintendo game. Nintendo is held in a high position because the quality of the games are among the best in the market.

Pokken and Tokyo mirage are disappointing exemples also.

Let's say Color Splash get decent reviews? It's still vastly inferior to Thousand Year door or Super Paper Mario. Not in the same league.

Nintendo is like every other dev, they have high quality games AND low quality games (for some reason some Nintendo fans have trouble believing that).

I would disagree that Captain Toad is a low quality game though.

Lucas-Rio said:

Especially on Wii U:

Animal Crossing Amiibo festival

Starfox Zero

Yoshi Wooly World's

Captain Toad

Now Paper Mario

It's rather embarassing.

We need more epic, ambitious games like Xenoblade, Bayonetta 2 and less average and rushed games.

Festival, zero were both fan service or spin offs and they spent like no time/resources on them. Clearly just something to give us while they make the real games. Wooly World was awesome and I doubt Captain Toad took a bunch of developers, and Color Splash is getting great reviews.

Where were Captain Toad, Yoshi or Paper Mario bad games? They are probably some of the best games on the console.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Nintendo is like every other dev, they have high quality games AND low quality games (for some reason some Nintendo fans have trouble believing that).

Well, I think it'd be hard to blame us when games like Yoshi's WW, Paper Mario, and Capt Toad (launched  at $40) are being put on trial.

V-r0cK said:

Nintendo released high quality titles at the beginning of the Wii U:

Mario Kart 8, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, NSMBU, Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, Xenoblade X (released mid 2015 in Japan but long development).

The last high quality game being released is Splatoon.

Since Splatoon, Nintendo just stopped caring about the quality of the games and just released low budget spin off with average  quality.

Lucas-Rio said:
Goodnightmoon said:

And you say this right now that Color Splash is getting good reviews? lol

Also, in the time they released those games they also released Xenoblade Chronicles X, Fire Emblem Fates, Kirby Planet Robobot, Pokken and Tokyo Mirage Sessions#FE which were received positively.

Btw Captain Toad is a fantastic little game and Yoshi's Woolly World is far from a low quality game.

Being just a good game isn't enough for a Nintendo game. Nintendo is held in a high position because the quality of the games are among the best in the market.

Pokken and Tokyo mirage are disappointing exemples also.

Let's say Color Splash get decent reviews? It's still vastly inferior to Thousand Year door or Super Paper Mario. Not in the same league.

I'm sorry but I think that's bullshit, Tokyo Mirage Sessions is my game of the year so far, I'm enjoying it more than anything I have played on Wiiu, 3DS or PC this year, I think is fantastic.

No, Nintendo has never been releasing a triple A per month, they have always had big and medium games, always, they have released big games on WiiU like Mario Kart 8, Smash 4, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X and more modest games like Captain Toad, now they are about to release their most ambitious game EVER (BoTW), On GC they also released big games and small games (Kirby air ride, Donkey Konga, Animal Crossing, Odama etc), if something the WiiU having dissaster sales and a shorter life made it have some less big stuff, but that's it.

Also, that mentality is dumb, TYD is one of the best rpg ever, to think everything that doesn't reach those highs is somehow dissapointing or worthless is wrong imo.

There have been some duds this generation, just like during the seventh, sixth, fifth, fourth, and third generations.

I'd argue Nintendo has been by far the most consistent in its first party offerings, though. No other studio turns out great games with such consistency.

Also, I'd warn against confusing technical ambition with design ambition. A lot of Nintendo games look unimpressive from a technical point of view when compared to gorgeous titles on PC, XOne, and PS4. Yet in many cases they are much more fun to play and have higher replay value.

Ok two things with your list. First, nearly all were released between or right after big releases. Yoshi (which isn't particularly small frankly) and Amiibo Festival launched between Mario Maker and Xenoblade, Star Fox launched between Pokken Tournament and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Captain Toad followed up Smash and Bayonetta 2 (both GOTY contenders), and Paper Mario is not from what we have seen bad or underdeveloped and small so why is it even on the list?

Two, the existence of midtier titles is not the issue nor should we want them to go away. They add to the library, allow developers to explore ideas not suited to massive games (see Captain Toad and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse), and open up good business opportunities to get revenue to help fund bigger peojects.

And as an addendum, many of those games are good soooo what's the problem? Yoshi is regarded as good, Toad is critically acclaimed. I mean, more games that are good isn't bad.