By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Pro Wrasslin' Thread (WWE, WWF, WCW, TNA, ROH, NWA, NJPW, etc)

Tagged games:

What match are you excited for at WWE Payback 2017?

Neville vs. Austin Aries ... 1 5.88%

Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyat... 3 17.65%

The Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro... 3 17.65%

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jer... 4 23.53%

Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Title) 3 17.65%

Seth Rollins vs. Samoa Joe 1 5.88%

Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman 2 11.76%

Total:17

If the WWE puts the belt on Cena then it had better be for a very short period, with him losing it at WM or soon after. There is absolutely no need to have Cena as champion except to be chased and caught by someone else. Another Cena title-run when Smackdown is building so much momentum as something new and different from RAW doesn't seem very smart long-term.

On a purely personal level, Cena's egotistical, hypocritical, and revisionist promo last Tuesday reminded me exactly why I loathe the Cena character. I dread to death weeks of the same "the Champ is HERE" promos. His character is an absolute douche with delusion issues.

This might be Corbin's rocket push incoming, though. If it is, I hope it's not for the title, as I think he should work through the roster and win lesser titles first.

Around the Network
torok said:
darkknightkryta said:
I just heard about the Styles promo from Smackdown. I'm watching/listening to it now. I know Cena's going to win, but I want him to lose. I think it'll be the biggest torch passing ever. Cena losing 4 times. Cena also comes off as an asshat in this exchange. "I'm angry now", well shit everything AJ said is true. Why you angry?

AJ losing isn't necessarily a bad thing. They want Cena to have more title reigns to beat Flair's record and that's understandable. But taking the title off AJ so close to Mania season? A possibility is that they have a big match for AJ, one that won't need the world title to sell it to the crowd.

There was that AJ vs Shawn Michaels rumour, but it seems to have died off (it can be a trick from WWE, falsely denying it trough leaks). Anyway, it could also mean a big, big fight for AJ.

Honestly this is the perfect redemption story for Cena.  Cena needs to lose.  Just lose.  Clean 123.  Then disappear again.  Come back a broken man.  Literally, have him make his comeback to just lose to Corbin.  Another clean loss.  Then this sets up his redemption story.  Have him work his way back up.  Then win the belt in a tripple threat match against whoever is fueding with AJ at that time (Next year's mania).  Then have Cena pin AJ in that triple threat.  That's how I'd put the title back on Cena.  This is actually set up perfect for that since it they already mentioned how Cena didn't earn this title shot.  He didn't earn it, lose, get your ego gone, then get your title back at next year's wrestlemania.  But then again I don't book for WWE.

pokoko said:
If the WWE puts the belt on Cena then it had better be for a very short period, with him losing it at WM or soon after. There is absolutely no need to have Cena as champion except to be chased and caught by someone else. Another Cena title-run when Smackdown is building so much momentum as something new and different from RAW doesn't seem very smart long-term. 

On a purely personal level, Cena's egotistical, hypocritical, and revisionist promo last Tuesday reminded me exactly why I loathe the Cena character. I dread to death weeks of the same "the Champ is HERE" promos. His character is an absolute douche with delusion issues.

This might be Corbin's rocket push incoming, though. If it is, I hope it's not for the title, as I think he should work through the roster and win lesser titles first.

Yeah Cena's promo was stuipd.  "You're willing to work in front of 50 people at a school gym to wrestle, I wouldn't do that, but I'm more hardcore into wrestling than you."

Anyone have a link to Omega's match?  I can't find it.

darkknightkryta said:

pokoko said:

Yeah Cena's promo was stuipd.  "You're willing to work in front of 50 people at a school gym to wrestle, I wouldn't do that, but I'm more hardcore into wrestling than you."

Anyone have a link to Omega's match?  I can't find it.

Yeah, it's like he's saying that it takes more passion to wrestle while pulling in millions of dollars than to wrestle in bingo halls.  He also has this attitude like AJ can't beat him because he's JOHN CENA ... even though AJ already has beaten him.  It makes no sense.  

Can someone tell me the hype of Chris Hero?

darkknightkryta said:

Honestly this is the perfect redemption story for Cena.  Cena needs to lose.  Just lose.  Clean 123.  Then disappear again.  Come back a broken man.  Literally, have him make his comeback to just lose to Corbin.  Another clean loss.  Then this sets up his redemption story.  Have him work his way back up.  Then win the belt in a tripple threat match against whoever is fueding with AJ at that time (Next year's mania).  Then have Cena pin AJ in that triple threat.  That's how I'd put the title back on Cena.  This is actually set up perfect for that since it they already mentioned how Cena didn't earn this title shot.  He didn't earn it, lose, get your ego gone, then get your title back at next year's wrestlemania.  But then again I don't book for WWE.

It would be great, but unfortunately I don't see them making Cena lose many times in a row. They are quite protective of him, maybe just after they have a new solid top guy they will experiment new directions with this booking.

Around the Network
pokoko said:

Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega 6

"Kenny Omega and Kazuchika Okada may have put on the greatest match in pro wrestling history" - Dave Meltzer

Wow. Was Meltzer there live? He tends to overrate things when he's there in person. That said, I haven't seen it yet, so who am I to say?

Funny that Omega is apparently "stepping away from Japan" all of a sudden. I wonder if he's just trolling, if it's an angle where he'll finally ditch the comedy shit and then win the IWGP, if he's having an existential crisis after breaking the Meltzer rating system, or if WWE offered him the moon and the stars.

badgenome said:
pokoko said:

Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega 6

"Kenny Omega and Kazuchika Okada may have put on the greatest match in pro wrestling history" - Dave Meltzer

Wow. Was Meltzer there live? He tends to overrate things when he's there in person. That said, I haven't seen it yet, so who am I to say?

Funny that Omega is apparently "stepping away from Japan" all of a sudden. I wonder if he's just trolling, if it's an angle where he'll finally ditch the comedy shit and then win the IWGP, if he's having an existential crisis after breaking the Meltzer rating system, or if WWE offered him the moon and the stars.

I don't think Meltzer was there but I'm not sure.  He might have been caught up in the emotional high, though, as the ending sequence was really incredible, which tends to have the most immediate influence.  Sometimes opinions like that fade a bit over time or on a rewatch.

At the same time, I can understand if he thinks that.  I wouldn't call it the greatest ever but it I do think it's one of the best wrestling matches I've ever seen.  It is certainly at that level.  I'm not going to argue with anyone who names it their personal favorite.  

As for Omega, I have no idea what that tweet means.  He blends kayfabe and reality really well so it might just be a bit of storyline fluff.  Impossible to tell with him.  Maybe he's seen the light and is moving in with Jim Cornette so he can train to be a serious wrestler.

pokoko said:

Maybe he's seen the light and is moving in with Jim Cornette so he can train to be a serious wrestler.

That would be nice. I'm sure Castle Cornette is a lonely place this time of year.

BasilZero said:
I wonder if I can find a stream of that show - might check it out tonight just for that match between Okada and omega.

I was looking around and found nothing so I gave up. Which is a shame but I'm sure it will pop up later.

Waiting for the eventual edits of "HOW THE FUCK ARE THEY STILL ALIVE" and "NO SERIOUSLY HOW THE FUCK ARE TEY STILL ALIVE, THIS IS INSANE!!!"