By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Pro Wrasslin' Thread (WWE, WWF, WCW, TNA, ROH, NWA, NJPW, etc)

Tagged games:

What match are you excited for at WWE Payback 2017?

Neville vs. Austin Aries ... 1 5.88%

Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyat... 3 17.65%

The Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro... 3 17.65%

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jer... 4 23.53%

Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Title) 3 17.65%

Seth Rollins vs. Samoa Joe 1 5.88%

Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman 2 11.76%

Total:17
ktay95 said:
THAT WAS JUST THE GREATEST MATCH I'VE EVER SEEN O_O

Which match?

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
ktay95 said:
THAT WAS JUST THE GREATEST MATCH I'VE EVER SEEN O_O

Which match?

Okada v Omega

Smackdown was awesome. I love the Dolph heel turn. That needed to happen a while ago. There's too many faces in Smackdown and the best heel (Miz) can't be doing everything on his own and its good to see the push that Corbin is getting.

And who is La Luchadora? Any guesses?

Takahashi vs. Kushida - Excellent submission work.  The crowd were super-super into Kushida ending it with a submission, which made it really dramatic.

Goto vs. Shibata.  Shibata is just such a badass.  Nobody plays that role better than him.  It's like he's just as fine taking punishment as giving it.  I love Goto, too, he's a fantastic brawler and he has some really unique offense.  I liked this match a lot.

Omega vs. Okada - Holy shit.  Quite possibly the 2017 match of the year.  If it happened last year, I would have easily named it MOTY for 2016.

Those freaking table spots were brutal.  That double stomp with the table on top of Okada was an awesome looking move and then the second one, bloody hell, I can't believe Omega got back up.  They need to get the cheap-ass tables the WWE uses instead of those steel reinforced beasts Japan favors.  Also, my god, that Dragon Suplex from the top rope.

The closing stretch was magic.  At least one girl in the audience was crying.  Both guys acted like they'd been in a war afterwards, with the winner falling to his knees after this arm was raised.  

Omega was so damn good.  He's strong, he's really quick, he bumps great, he sells great, and he has so many innovative moves in his bag of tricks.  I also love all the things he does as a heel, like spitting in Okada's face and then doing Okada's Rainmaker pose.  He's absolutely one of the best.

Even if you don't watch the match, check out the highlights - http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/01/04/kenny-omega-kazuchika-okada-wrestle-kingdom-11-match-video

I just heard about the Styles promo from Smackdown. I'm watching/listening to it now. I know Cena's going to win, but I want him to lose. I think it'll be the biggest torch passing ever. Cena losing 4 times. Cena also comes off as an asshat in this exchange. "I'm angry now", well shit everything AJ said is true. Why you angry?

Around the Network

I'm always interested to see Meltzer's ratings, just as a point of comparison. Looks like he enjoyed Wrestle Kingdom 11 quite a bit.

I didn't see the match between the Bucks and RPGV but I hear it was really good. I might have to check it out.

------

New Japan Rumble 1
Tiger Mask W vs. Tiger the Dark 3
Young Bucks vs. RPG Vice 3.5
Finlay/Ricochet/Kojima vs. Bullet Club, CHAOS, LIJ 3, 1, 3.25 (he rated these in succession)
Cody vs. Juice Robinson 2.75
Kyle O'Reilly vs. Adam Cole 3.5
GOD vs. Ishii/Yano vs. Great Bash Heel 3.5
KUSHIDA vs. Hiromu Takahashi 4.5
Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto 4.5
Tetsuya Naito vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi 4.5
Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega 6

"Kenny Omega and Kazuchika Okada may have put on the greatest match in pro wrestling history" - Dave Meltzer

pokoko said:

I'm always interested to see Meltzer's ratings, just as a point of comparison. Looks like he enjoyed Wrestle Kingdom 11 quite a bit.

I didn't see the match between the Bucks and RPGV but I hear it was really good. I might have to check it out.

------

New Japan Rumble 1
Tiger Mask W vs. Tiger the Dark 3
Young Bucks vs. RPG Vice 3.5
Finlay/Ricochet/Kojima vs. Bullet Club, CHAOS, LIJ 3, 1, 3.25 (he rated these in succession)
Cody vs. Juice Robinson 2.75
Kyle O'Reilly vs. Adam Cole 3.5
GOD vs. Ishii/Yano vs. Great Bash Heel 3.5
KUSHIDA vs. Hiromu Takahashi 4.5
Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto 4.5
Tetsuya Naito vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi 4.5
Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega 6

"Kenny Omega and Kazuchika Okada may have put on the greatest match in pro wrestling history" - Dave Meltzer

Cant say I disagree with the man, my first NJPW show and Ive never seen something so amazing. When Omega kicked out after a tombstone and another Rainmaker (like the 3rd??) I literally jumped out of my chair in excitement and shock. I dont remember the last time wrestling did that to me.

Also are the crowds in Japan just better than those in the US or is it just because they get to watch amazing matches unlike the US  (WWE) fans??
Because that crowd was amazing at the Tokyo Dome.

ktay95 said:

Cant say I disagree with the man, my first NJPW show and Ive never seen something so amazing. When Omega kicked out after a tombstone and another Rainmaker (like the 3rd??) I literally jumped out of my chair in excitement and shock. I dont remember the last time wrestling did that to me.

Also are the crowds in Japan just better than those in the US or is it just because they get to watch amazing matches unlike the US  (WWE) fans??
Because that crowd was amazing at the Tokyo Dome.

Yeah, the crowd was perfect. 

This was like a Wrestlemania crowd, though, so it can't really be compared to any other events.  It's like American cities, as well, where some arenas will be better than others.  Some of the smaller places are dead silent most of the time.  That's because the Japanese rarely do any kind of chanting or cheering until something happens to make them react--which is something I like, to be honest. 

If you liked this event, then I highly recommend going back and watching some of the best matches from years past, especially to see Nakamura in his prime.  Ishii, too, who didn't really have anything for this year.  

darkknightkryta said:
I just heard about the Styles promo from Smackdown. I'm watching/listening to it now. I know Cena's going to win, but I want him to lose. I think it'll be the biggest torch passing ever. Cena losing 4 times. Cena also comes off as an asshat in this exchange. "I'm angry now", well shit everything AJ said is true. Why you angry?

AJ losing isn't necessarily a bad thing. They want Cena to have more title reigns to beat Flair's record and that's understandable. But taking the title off AJ so close to Mania season? A possibility is that they have a big match for AJ, one that won't need the world title to sell it to the crowd.

There was that AJ vs Shawn Michaels rumour, but it seems to have died off (it can be a trick from WWE, falsely denying it trough leaks). Anyway, it could also mean a big, big fight for AJ.

My wrestler of the year is AJ Styles.

RAW was average this week, I enjoyed the Goldberg segment and the Zayn vs Strowman match but everything else was boring. Same matches every week... So much filler stuff only to fill the 3 hours... Reigns retaining the US belt makes no sense, if they want him to compete in the Universal title match he should drop his US belt because the US belt should be for midcarders. Jericho deserved an US title run (never held the title in his career) so much, I think his 2016 run was very good and winning the US belt would be a fantastic way to end his great run.

SmackDown was again awesome this week! Finally a heel turn for Ziggler (never seen a guy being cheered during his heel turn lol). Miz and Ambrose had a great main event and the IC belt didn't have so much prestige in awhile thanks to Miz. I also really enjoyed the Styles vs Cena segment and the American Alpha vs Wyatt Family segment and SmackDown already hyped me for next week with the Cena vs Corbin match so I am definitely going to tune in next week (can't remember when Raw gave me this hype to tune in for the last time). Unlike Raw which uses only Banks, Charlotte and Bayley Smackdown is using all women in the women division and the fueds are much more interesting (Bliss vs Lynch and Bella vs Natalya are both awesome fueds). Imo the women in SmackDown are much more talented than in Raw. SmackDown is doing a great job, keep it up! Since the first brand extension ended and the WHC belt was retired I said that this was a bad idea because this would hurt SmackDown and I always said that a second extension should happen because it would help SmackDown and a lot superstarts and now we have a second brand extension and I hope that it will never end!