By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Pro Wrasslin' Thread (WWE, WWF, WCW, TNA, ROH, NWA, NJPW, etc)

Tagged games:

What match are you excited for at WWE Payback 2017?

Neville vs. Austin Aries ... 1 5.88%

Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyat... 3 17.65%

The Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro... 3 17.65%

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jer... 4 23.53%

Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Title) 3 17.65%

Seth Rollins vs. Samoa Joe 1 5.88%

Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman 2 11.76%

Total:17

So not even going to bother reading just becuase you had your feelings hurt?
Alright, I'm sorry. 

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

Alright, I'm sorry. 

I talk about wrestling because it's entertaining and interesting, not because I want to take part in childish bullshit.

And is it really so hard to use the quote button correctly?

I also don't give a fuck about Lesnar hero worship.  As quick as Bolt?  The hell are you talking about?  That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read.  Lesnar wasn't even fast enough to play in the NFL.  

Talent trumps mystique these days. Back in the day you could be a hero and you'd be loved, even if your biggest moves were a big boot and a leg drop. Fans demand more than that today.

Larger than life personalities just don't jive in todays wrestling. It makes me sad. You just can't go out and rock rhinestones and tassles and be awesome. I doubt we'll ever see another Brutus the Barber Beefcake, Jake the Snake Roberts, or Isaac Yankem DDS. Maybe not even another Iron Sheik, and even trying to pull a Yokozuna would be a stretch nowadays.

bunchanumbers said:
Talent trumps mystique these days. Back in the day you could be a hero and you'd be loved, even if your biggest moves were a big boot and a leg drop. Fans demand more than that today.

Larger than life personalities just don't jive in todays wrestling. It makes me sad. You just can't go out and rock rhinestones and tassles and be awesome. I doubt we'll ever see another Brutus the Barber Beefcake, Jake the Snake Roberts, or Isaac Yankem DDS. Maybe not even another Iron Sheik, and even trying to pull a Yokozuna would be a stretch nowadays.

Kind of.  I mean, the bar has certainly been raised.  Now, you need to be good at all aspects of being a professional wrestler to get over.  I don't know how sad I am about that, though, since I've never liked the Hulk Hogan/Ultimate Warrior types to begin with.

The part that I'm sad about is that there really isn't much room in the WWE to develop a character.  They have these tiny windows to show who they are.  Compare that to the past when they had so much more freedom in both words and actions.

I was watching a youtube video recently about when Raven appeared in WCW and how they slowly built it up with him being in the audience each week.  By the time he first had an official match, he was an absolutely massive heel.  Now, they just kind of throw them out there and the announcer tells us about them or they put some twitter quotes on the screen.

You look at the indies and some guys have done a great job of creating a character, kind of like in the territory days.  Adam Cole is just a massive jerk.  Jimmy Havoc was freaking scary in PROGRESS and made for one of the best storylines in recent years.

Cole being a racist asshole in PWG (NSFW language):

It can still be done but it's hard unless time for character development is given.

pokoko said:
PAOerfulone said:

Alright, I'm sorry. 

I talk about wrestling because it's entertaining and interesting, not because I want to take part in childish bullshit.

And is it really so hard to use the quote button correctly?

I also don't give a fuck about Lesnar hero worship.  As quick as Bolt?  The hell are you talking about?  That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read.  Lesnar wasn't even fast enough to play in the NFL.  

So you get mad over "childish bullshit" and insults.... and you come right back with insults. 
And you should care about Lesnar "hero worship", because whoever beats him is going to be shot to the moon in terms of momentum, and it should be a guy who is going to be invested in the long haul.
Look, I don't like him anymore than you do. I wish he'd just go away, because I agree, him coming in and making the roster look weak is hurting the product and hurting the roster, and I do want to see him go down and go away. But I want it DONE RIGHT!!!
Jobbing to a 50 year old Bill Goldberg who is waaaaay past his prime and most likely doesn't have it anymore is NOT doing it right!

Around the Network
pokoko said:
bunchanumbers said:

Kind of.  I mean, the bar has certainly been raised.  Now, you need to be good at all aspects of being a professional wrestler to get over.  I don't know how sad I am about that, though, since I've never liked the Hulk Hogan/Ultimate Warrior types to begin with.

The part that I'm sad about is that there really isn't much room in the WWE to develop a character.  They have these tiny windows to show who they are.  Compare that to the past when they had so much more freedom in both words and actions.

I was watching a youtube video recently about when Raven appeared in WCW and how they slowly built it up with him being in the audience each week.  By the time he first had an official match, he was an absolutely massive heel.  Now, they just kind of throw them out there and the announcer tells us about them or they put some twitter quotes on the screen.

You look at the indies and some guys have done a great job of creating a character, kind of like in the territory days.  Adam Cole is just a massive jerk.  Jimmy Havoc was freaking scary in PROGRESS and made for one of the best storylines in recent years.

Cole being a racist asshole in PWG (NSFW language):

It can still be done but it's hard unless time for character development is given.

Both are soid examples, but I mean larger than life. Adam Rose was the last example I can think of in the WWE, while he had the party bus. Alberto Del Rio when he had the crazy expensive cars rolling into the arena. Things that let you know you were watching a show.

This is one of my favorite wrestlers. His name is Dalton Castle. He reminds me of those old school personalities that commands a arena, and has skills on the mic. Plus he can wrestle. He is just too small for the big time. Here's a video of him doing his entrance and promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8UB7ZDDgm4

bunchanumbers said:

Both are soid examples, but I mean larger than life. Adam Rose was the last example I can think of in the WWE, while he had the party bus. Alberto Del Rio when he had the crazy expensive cars rolling into the arena. Things that let you know you were watching a show.

This is one of my favorite wrestlers. His name is Dalton Castle. He reminds me of those old school personalities that commands a arena, and has skills on the mic. Plus he can wrestle. He is just too small for the big time. Here's a video of him doing his entrance and promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8UB7ZDDgm4

I remember first watching him when he was 'Smooth Sailing' Ashley Remington.  He was absolutely hilarious.  Very talented guy and darn strong.

I hope that Goldberg defeats Lesnar and then Jericho whips Goldberg's ass backstage again.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

So.
Besides that AMAZING Women's Contract Signing between Sasha, Charlotte, and Mick Foley that was one of the best segments on RAW in the entire year... RAW was pretty crappy this week

I just can't make it through an entire RAW anymore. I've pretty much settled into watching the first 30 minutes, give or take, then reading about the rest the next day.