By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Pro Wrasslin' Thread (WWE, WWF, WCW, TNA, ROH, NWA, NJPW, etc)

Tagged games:

What match are you excited for at WWE Payback 2017?

Neville vs. Austin Aries ... 1 5.88%

Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyat... 3 17.65%

The Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro... 3 17.65%

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jer... 4 23.53%

Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Title) 3 17.65%

Seth Rollins vs. Samoa Joe 1 5.88%

Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman 2 11.76%

Total:17
No_Name_Needed said:
JWeinCom said:

Didn't think you were saying anything about me directly, but as a WWE fan who has been critical of AEW, I felt I fit in the category you were describing, and gave my perspective. Don't think my response was anything but even keeled. 

Dude you started with ":-/ People jump on me if I breathe wrong in AEW's direction, but it took two posts to turn this into an AEW vs WWE thing" so its hard to see it as even keeled.

Like I said, my comment was meant as an overall observation of how many (especially on twitter and wrestling sites) would say no one wants a show heavily focused on wrestling and with longterm storytelling have now changed their tone. I can list countless people (again from twitter and elsewhere) who claimed "casuals" don't like this, but have done a complete about-face now that the WWE are going in that direction. Hell even bringing Gargano back has been very positively received, a guy many of these people would have refereed to as a "vanilla midget" only weeks ago.

I was just pointing out the hypocrisy (which all fanboys partake in to be fair). You opening response to me definitely came across as if my original comment bothered you despite the fact I was responding to someone else who brought up AEW. Seriously, I would not have brought it up if I didn't see someone else point out how the " WWE is acting more like AEW with its storytelling and interwoven plots and more mature style." I mean good lord my comment was a RESPONSE to this comment.

I wasn't trying to start an AEW vs. WWE war, just agreeing with someone else's comment and giving an opinion after.

If you see that comment as too over the top, you and I have a very different definition of even keeled.

I haven't seen any significant people claiming long term storytelling was a bad thing. I'm sure there's someone in the vast world of social media saying something like that, but at best it's a vocal minority. I have seen people saying that AEW's style of storytelling is not good and not going to appeal to casuals. Happy to explain the difference, or happy to drop it. Up to you.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
No_Name_Needed said:

Dude you started with ":-/ People jump on me if I breathe wrong in AEW's direction, but it took two posts to turn this into an AEW vs WWE thing" so its hard to see it as even keeled.

Like I said, my comment was meant as an overall observation of how many (especially on twitter and wrestling sites) would say no one wants a show heavily focused on wrestling and with longterm storytelling have now changed their tone. I can list countless people (again from twitter and elsewhere) who claimed "casuals" don't like this, but have done a complete about-face now that the WWE are going in that direction. Hell even bringing Gargano back has been very positively received, a guy many of these people would have refereed to as a "vanilla midget" only weeks ago.

I was just pointing out the hypocrisy (which all fanboys partake in to be fair). You opening response to me definitely came across as if my original comment bothered you despite the fact I was responding to someone else who brought up AEW. Seriously, I would not have brought it up if I didn't see someone else point out how the " WWE is acting more like AEW with its storytelling and interwoven plots and more mature style." I mean good lord my comment was a RESPONSE to this comment.

I wasn't trying to start an AEW vs. WWE war, just agreeing with someone else's comment and giving an opinion after.

If you see that comment as too over the top, you and I have a very different definition of even keeled.

I haven't seen any significant people claiming long term storytelling was a bad thing. I'm sure there's someone in the vast world of social media saying something like that, but at best it's a vocal minority. I have seen people saying that AEW's style of storytelling is not good and not going to appeal to casuals. Happy to explain the difference, or happy to drop it. Up to you.

I didn't say it was over the top, it just seemed you got really annoyed or bothered by my initial comment, as if it was directed at you when it wasn't.

Look what would be the point of you explaining anything when it will likely be you talking down to me in the process (not saying you WILL do that, but it will likely come across to me like that). I been watch wrestling on and off for close to 25 years or so. In that time I have seen how most WWF/WWE fans react to any competition, they crap on it. Saw it with WCW, ECW (even with the working relation ship they had with WWE), and TNA. It is always the same. When the competition does something, these hardcore WWF/WWE fans say its crap, but when the WWE does it, man its great.

I'm seeing that with AEW and WWE now. The way HHH is booking WWE now (or at least so far) is incredibly similar to AEW. Yes I know he booked NXT like this in the past. I'm not say AEW booking is perfect (it isn't), but the people saying that don't even watch in most cases and are saying it mostly because of blind loyalty to the WWE, the same loyalty that I have seen for 20 plus years. That is where my hypocrisy comment came from, that was all I was saying, don't really need any elaboration on why you or others think the AEW storytelling is bad or not.

No_Name_Needed said:
JWeinCom said:

I didn't say it was over the top, it just seemed you got really annoyed or bothered by my initial comment, as if it was directed at you when it wasn't.

Look what would be the point of you explaining anything when it will likely be you talking down to me in the process (not saying you WILL do that, but it will likely come across to me like that). I been watch wrestling on and off for close to 25 years or so. In that time I have seen how most WWF/WWE fans react to any competition, they crap on it. Saw it with WCW, ECW (even with the working relation ship they had with WWE), and TNA. It is always the same. When the competition does something, these hardcore WWF/WWE fans say its crap, but when the WWE does it, man its great.

I'm seeing that with AEW and WWE now. The way HHH is booking WWE now (or at least so far) is incredibly similar to AEW. Yes I know he booked NXT like this in the past. I'm not say AEW booking is perfect (it isn't), but the people saying that don't even watch in most cases and are saying it mostly because of blind loyalty to the WWE, the same loyalty that I have seen for 20 plus years. That is where my hypocrisy comment came from, that was all I was saying, don't really need any elaboration on why you or others think the AEW storytelling is bad or not.

The thing is they're really not that similar. They're definitely more similar than under Vince, but incredibly similar is a huge stretch. It's like, chicken pizza is closer to pepperoni pizza than mushroom pizza is, but it's still very different, so that someone who dislikes pepperoni pizza might enjoy a chicken slice or vice versa with no hypocrisy involved.

So, unless you have examples of people specifically saying they disliked AEW because of long term storytelling and then saying yay WWE for long term storytelling, you're just kind of manufacturing hypocrisy. More likely WWE fans said they didn't like the storylines AEW did, but are enjoying the stories WWE is now doing. 

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 27 August 2022

JWeinCom said:
No_Name_Needed said:

The thing is they're really not that similar. They're definitely more similar than under Vince, but incredibly similar is a huge stretch. It's like, chicken pizza is closer to pepperoni pizza than mushroom pizza is, but it's still very different, so that someone who dislikes pepperoni pizza might enjoy a chicken slice or vice versa with no hypocrisy involved.

So, unless you have examples of people specifically saying they disliked AEW because of long term storytelling and then saying yay WWE for long term storytelling, you're just kind of manufacturing hypocrisy.

Alright if you prefer, very similar not incredibly similar. But I'm not manufacturing hypocrisy, in fact this may be the first time I've heard anyone say manufacturing hypocrisy. People have criticized AEW for the long term storytelling they use among other things, I guessed I should have screen-caped them for this very discussion, too bad I could not see into the future.

Look man if you don't agree me that there are hypocrite fans who crap on AEW and praise the WWE when they do the same (or if you prefer, somewhat similar) things, than fine whatever. I just made a comment that you seemed to have taken personally when I was just making a general observation of how people act online (just to name three; jobbernation, Gareth, Kenny Olivea) when it comes to AEW vs. WWE. If you haven't seen the hypocrisy these and others constantly make, than fine you lucky don't spend much time on social media or wrestling sites.

If you just want to get the last word, than so be it, have it. Like I said I don't have screen-caps of all the online bull and rather move on because I'm definitely not going to spend more time to look for it just to win a argument with someone online, what the hell would be the point in that. The funny thing is in my original comment I actually said it was good for the industry that things were improving for the WWE as a competitive industry is good, but you either didn't see that or ignored that and only saw the negative thing I said.

JWeinCom said:

So, unless you have examples of people specifically saying they disliked AEW because of long term storytelling and then saying yay WWE for long term storytelling, you're just kind of manufacturing hypocrisy.

You're very interesting to try and discuss things with because it really does feel like you're the one getting defensive and making things up to stir the pot, here. 

Nobody mentioned you but you still responded like someone was passive-aggressively targeting you. Which, while you were certainly an example of someone I thought of that fit the bill, NoNameNeeded absolutely did nothing of the sort and he was the one you were arguing with. 

On top of that, You're moving the goalposts here. He and I straight up felt that it was weird that so many people are actively praising WWE for its shift in style and writing when all I can think of is 'man, it sounds a lot like how AEW is now or NXT was in 2016-2020'. And yeah, you noting the shift made me narrow my eyes in your general direction BECAUSE you've been so consistently critical of AEW, yet you still praise WWE for improvement when they make a shift so clearly similar to AEW. Nobody's saying that people HATED AEW for its long-form storytelling, and I don't even know why you tend to be more critical of them (I don't personally claim to understand your thought processes, I just know you criticize them far more often than WWE, and far more often than any other wrestling fan I know). 

The observation was straightforward. You complimented WWE on something I felt made them look and feel more like AEW despite you being famously critical of AEW. Why you are critical of them is not something I claim to know and I'm making no claims about, but it does reveal a bias. WHICH IS FINE! You are allowed to be biased about subjective media, I don't know why you keep arguing about it all the time. The general consensus about AEW is that it's very good overall (Hell, a free TV match just got 5 stars, something only like 12 or 16 matches this year has done), yet you are still critical of it. WHICH IS FINE! being critical of something is good, but don't pretend you're 'just telling it like it is' or that you're being unbiased. 

I'd give you the same general level of shit if you were trying to tell me Marvel movies sucked but then went on about how great Batman v Superman was. You're allowed to be subjective, but when your opinion goes against the grain of what most people seem to agree upon, you're just gonna have to learn to accept that a lot of people are gonna disagree with you. 

I think Halo and Ocarina of Time and The Last of Us are all horribly overrated. I bet every one of those would bring fans out of the woodwork since all three are among the best games in their respective genres/franchises/all time. I don't go into Xbox chats shitting on Halo without bringing a flame shield, just like you shouldn't go into wrestling discussions with your apparent dislike of AEW without similarly equipping yourself. 

You are allowed to like and dislike whatever you want. Nobody's saying that you can't. You can and should be critical of things you care about. Nobody's saying you shouldn't. But you also need to better identify when your views are unpopular and stop acting like you're being attacked when the majority disagrees with you. Furthermore, you gotta learn to take a gentle ribbing a bit better. Nothing wrong with playfully teasing the WWE fan in a group that mostly likes AEW now. 

And y'all can tease me for not liking Halo, Ocarina of Time, and The Last of Us. I've come to terms with it. You need thicker skin, bro, it ain't that serious. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
JWeinCom said:

You're very interesting to try and discuss things with because it really does feel like you're the one getting defensive and making things up to stir the pot, here. 

Nobody mentioned you but you still responded like someone was passive-aggressively targeting you. Which, while you were certainly an example of someone I thought of that fit the bill, NoNameNeeded absolutely did nothing of the sort and he was the one you were arguing with. 

On top of that, You're moving the goalposts here. He and I straight up felt that it was weird that so many people are actively praising WWE for its shift in style and writing when all I can think of is 'man, it sounds a lot like how AEW is now or NXT was in 2016-2020'. And yeah, you noting the shift made me narrow my eyes in your general direction BECAUSE you've been so consistently critical of AEW, yet you still praise WWE for improvement when they make a shift so clearly similar to AEW. Nobody's saying that people HATED AEW for its long-form storytelling, and I don't even know why you tend to be more critical of them (I don't personally claim to understand your thought processes, I just know you criticize them far more often than WWE, and far more often than any other wrestling fan I know). 

The observation was straightforward. You complimented WWE on something I felt made them look and feel more like AEW despite you being famously critical of AEW. Why you are critical of them is not something I claim to know and I'm making no claims about, but it does reveal a bias. WHICH IS FINE! You are allowed to be biased about subjective media, I don't know why you keep arguing about it all the time. The general consensus about AEW is that it's very good overall (Hell, a free TV match just got 5 stars, something only like 12 or 16 matches this year has done), yet you are still critical of it. WHICH IS FINE! being critical of something is good, but don't pretend you're 'just telling it like it is' or that you're being unbiased. 

I'd give you the same general level of shit if you were trying to tell me Marvel movies sucked but then went on about how great Batman v Superman was. You're allowed to be subjective, but when your opinion goes against the grain of what most people seem to agree upon, you're just gonna have to learn to accept that a lot of people are gonna disagree with you. 

I think Halo and Ocarina of Time and The Last of Us are all horribly overrated. I bet every one of those would bring fans out of the woodwork since all three are among the best games in their respective genres/franchises/all time. I don't go into Xbox chats shitting on Halo without bringing a flame shield, just like you shouldn't go into wrestling discussions with your apparent dislike of AEW without similarly equipping yourself. 

You are allowed to like and dislike whatever you want. Nobody's saying that you can't. You can and should be critical of things you care about. Nobody's saying you shouldn't. But you also need to better identify when your views are unpopular and stop acting like you're being attacked when the majority disagrees with you. Furthermore, you gotta learn to take a gentle ribbing a bit better. Nothing wrong with playfully teasing the WWE fan in a group that mostly likes AEW now. 

And y'all can tease me for not liking Halo, Ocarina of Time, and The Last of Us. I've come to terms with it. You need thicker skin, bro, it ain't that serious. 

Thank you, you said everything way better than I could have.

Runa216 said:
JWeinCom said:

Nobody mentioned you but you still responded like someone was passive-aggressively targeting you. Which, while you were certainly an example of someone I thought of that fit the bill, NoNameNeeded absolutely did nothing of the sort and he was the one you were arguing with. es. Just like you did, I felt I belonged in the category of WWE fans who were critical of AEW in the past and now praising WWE's product. So, since that position was being challenged, I offered to defend it. Almost like this was a place to discuss opinions about wrestling or something.

Oh... so you agree that I fit in that group? Great. I agree. Especially as I'm fairly certain in the past Noname has said I find fault in everything AEW does or something along those lines. And I'm the person who literally was just praising WWE directly before that. So, yeah, pretty reasonable of me to think I was either being spoken about either directly, or just happened to be in the group being discussed... So, if either I was actually being addressed or a reasonable person might think it applied to me, don't see anything wrong with addressing it in a reasonable banner. 

So, let's review. I made a post about WWE that had virtually nothing to do with AEW. Then one person who has criticized me as a no good AEW hater went, "Oh well it sounds like what you're describing is a lot like AEW."  Then "another" chimed in, "yeah those people who have criticized those things in AEW but now like them in the WWE sure are hypocrites". Then when I pretty calmly said I didn't agree and would be happy to explain why the comparison was not apt, you guy(s) were like "WOAH DON'T FLY OFF THE HANDLE NOW!!! CAN'T OTHER PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS?! I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA!"

Lol. You guy(s) are ridiculous.

Runa216 said:
JWeinCom said:

I guess you must not know a lot of wrestling fans then. Last time I posted something negative about AEW, aside from that I personally like WWE's current product better in this conversation, has to be months ago. Find the most recent example. You'll have to go a ways back. I didn't even really say anything negative about them in this conversation despite the obvious bait, cause I really just wanted to talk about WWE.

Which just kind of seems to be your thing now, taking completely innocuous things I say and then ranting about how it's actually some kind of attack against AEW or its fans. Kind of seems like you just had this response loaded in the chamber, and when the bait failed and I didn't actually criticize AEW or get especially defensive, you just decided to pull the trigger anyway. Because this is in no way a cogent response to what I actually said, so it must have been for what you wanted or expected me to say. If I'm wrong, then seriously point out the part of this exchange where I criticized AEW or the part where I got upset at anyone for liking it. Not expecting any evidence to be provided.

With goal posts, show me the posts where I've bashed AEW for something that I'm now praising WWE for. Again, I'm not expecting any actual evidence, but maybe I'll be surprised.

For the record, I really have no intention of talking about AEW unless someone brings it up in a response to me, or is comparing it to WWE. So, you could post about how much you love AEW until your fingers fall off, I won't say a thing. But, if you want to make it an AEW vs WWE thing, I'm game. If people can take up for their preferred company, I can for mine.

Runa216 said:
JWeinCom said:

You have it exactly backwards. Regardless of quality, the simple fact is that just like Marvel movies are more popular, as they make more money, get streamed more, sell more tickets, etc. WWE is clearly more popular as it has more viewers, revenue, etc. Which is an argument from popularity fallacy anyway, with a side of appeal to authority fallacy with Meltzer's gold stars. I don't get why it matters which is more popular. Whether an opinion is in the majority or the minority, it should be supported by solid reasoning and subject to criticism.

You also got it backwards with regards to what happened in this conversation. As I've already explained. Seriously, look at the post you're actually quoting and explain how any rational person would take that to mean I can't accept people agreeing with me. It's really so weird.

You can challenge any of my opinions you'd like. What you can not do, are things like this. Where instead of addressing what was actually said, you just accuse me of being biased, thin skinned, etc. Call me thin skinned if you want (not literally, since you should be saying literally nothing about my personality), but I actually have been pretty tolerant and have responding by actually supporting my position, usually to no response. And I'm over it. If I say something that's wrong, explain why it's wrong. Leave me as a person completely out of it. 

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 28 August 2022

No_Name_Needed said:
JWeinCom said:

Alright if you prefer, very similar not incredibly similar. But I'm not manufacturing hypocrisy, in fact this may be the first time I've heard anyone say manufacturing hypocrisy. People have criticized AEW for the long term storytelling they use among other things, I guessed I should have screen-caped them for this very discussion, too bad I could not see into the future.

Look man if you don't agree me that there are hypocrite fans who crap on AEW and praise the WWE when they do the same (or if you prefer, somewhat similar) things, than fine whatever. I just made a comment that you seemed to have taken personally when I was just making a general observation of how people act online (just to name three; jobbernation, Gareth, Kenny Olivea) when it comes to AEW vs. WWE. If you haven't seen the hypocrisy these and others constantly make, than fine you lucky don't spend much time on social media or wrestling sites.

If you just want to get the last word, than so be it, have it. Like I said I don't have screen-caps of all the online bull and rather move on because I'm definitely not going to spend more time to look for it just to win a argument with someone online, what the hell would be the point in that. The funny thing is in my original comment I actually said it was good for the industry that things were improving for the WWE as a competitive industry is good, but you either didn't see that or ignored that and only saw the negative thing I said.

Yes, I will take the last word, thank you. 

I'm sure there are some hypocrites out there. But, you said that it was "most" WWE fans, on social media, message boards, and writers of wrestling website. Considering the pretty big group of people you claim this applies to, it shouldn't be that hard to find one particular thread, article, or whatever. 

At any rate, I simply haven't seen what you've seen and can't show. From what I've seen, people generally criticize specific things about AEW, like a particular long term storyline. That does not mean they generally dislike long term storylines, so if WWE does more long term storylines, they may like the particular way WWE is doing it. For example, if I said I didn't like Liv Morgan's MITB cash in (I didn't) it doesn't mean that I dislike all cash ins generally or that if I later like a different cash in it doesn't mean I'm a hypocrite. 

That's what I think is the case here. I think you are falsely equating two things to try to argue that people are hypocrites or to validate AEW or whatever the plan here is. Since I can't speak for everyone on the internet, I offered to explain why I think current WWE and AEW are actually very distinct and why it's perfectly reasonable to like one and not the other. Still a little puzzled why either one of you are acting like this was a particularly harsh response.

No_Name_Needed said:
Runa216 said:

Thank you, you said everything way better than I could have.

You know... that's a really interesting choice of words there. If I had to bet, I would guess he said everything exactly as well as you could have. 

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 28 August 2022

JWeinCom said:

...Just so much stuff...

How you were ever a moderator on here is beyond me. Dude you need thicker skin. It's not a big deal and you're allowed to be biased. We're just saying that you ARE biased and it's pretty clear that you are. Once you accept this and stop treating this like an attack you'll realize that you're overreacting. 

You are extra critical of AEW compared to WWE. Nothing wrong with that, you're just in the minority. AND THAT'S OKAY. Do I really need to explain this in circles? Nobody's attacking you, you've just got astonishingly thin skin for some reason.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
JWeinCom said:

...Just so much stuff...

How you were ever a moderator on here is beyond me. Dude you need thicker skin. It's not a big deal and you're allowed to be biased. We're just saying that you ARE biased and it's pretty clear that you are. Once you accept this and stop treating this like an attack you'll realize that you're overreacting. 

You are extra critical of AEW compared to WWE. Nothing wrong with that, you're just in the minority. AND THAT'S OKAY. Do I really need to explain this in circles? Nobody's attacking you, you've just got astonishingly thin skin for some reason.

Honestly I think the best thing we both can do is just ignore him. He clearly is one of those people that wants to get the last word in an argument that he essentially started. On top of that he really is biased like you said. He just dislikes AEW because he is a biased WWE fanboy. I didn't really see it before, but I clearly see it now. It is best to avoid him like a plague.

PM sent

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 28 August 2022