By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spencer suggests Scorpio will cost not more than $600 USD

I've said it again and will hold on to the belief that the Scorpio will not sell for more than $399. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:

I've said it again and will hold on to the belief that the Scorpio will not sell for more than $399. 

"Although it is a premium product that will not be cheap, nor will (it be that of) a higher price than another “which has already (been) heard (of) in the video game industry before.”" - Phil Spencer.

a) Its a premium product, that wont be cheap.

b) It will be less than playstation 3 released at (599$).

^ this is what Phil Spencer has to say on price of it.

That means its going to be over 399$, but under 599$.

Heres why:

You wouldnt need to go "dont worry its not over 600$" if its priced normally.

If its priced normally (399$) you wont have to say "its a premium product, that wont be cheap".

You need to drop the 399$ price point your thinking about, its not going to happen.

Otherwise Phil Spencer would have spoken differntly about its price.

Mr Puggsly said:
DialgaMarine said:
$599 seems the most likely, given the hardware, and if it doesn't receive any rumored upgrades. A native 4K machine really is going to be expensive, but I don't foresee it as being a 9th gen console, so for a premium product, that would make sense.

The RX 480 is priced around $200 - $250 and is just shy of 6 teraflops (about 5.8). So frankly Scorpio is not powerful enough to justify $600.

The RX 480 is also fully capable of doing 4K/30-60 fps with current gen graphics. So if the Scorpio has something at par with that, you will have a machine doing native 4K often.

Yeah, but given how heavily MS is pushing the 4K Blu-Ray thing, I dont see them leaving that out of Scorpio, and that's definitely gonna add some costs. $600 sounds the most likely.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Cost is one thing and price is another. M$ may need to price very close to PS4Pro to be able to capture volumes. 

Speculating upon the rumours of Destiny 2 going for PC, and needing such a heavy overhaul of the game engine that even previous characters are not carried over, the reasons may be related to Scorpio. It may be that MS makes the scorpio to be a PC, and go with NVidia graphics instead of AMD. This would make XBox operating system to be simply a WIN 10 with a skin. These two factors would make porting of Destiny 1 more difficult, hence Bungie would conclude that for same effort they do the WIN 10 at the same time.

This is of course pure speculation, but clearly something is cooking in the background.

shikamaru317 said:
konkari said:

Cost is one thing and price is another. M$ may need to price very close to PS4Pro to be able to capture volumes. 

Speculating upon the rumours of Destiny 2 going for PC, and needing such a heavy overhaul of the game engine that even previous characters are not carried over, the reasons may be related to Scorpio. It may be that MS makes the scorpio to be a PC, and go with NVidia graphics instead of AMD. This would make XBox operating system to be simply a WIN 10 with a skin. These two factors would make porting of Destiny 1 more difficult, hence Bungie would conclude that for same effort they do the WIN 10 at the same time.

This is of course pure speculation, but clearly something is cooking in the background.

AMD already confirmed that Scorpio will be using an AMD chipset.

Which sucks. We all know Ati-AMD don't hold a candle to Intel-Nvidia... 

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The RX 480 is priced around $200 - $250 and is just shy of 6 teraflops (about 5.8). So frankly Scorpio is not powerful enough to justify $600.

The RX 480 is also fully capable of doing 4K/30-60 fps with current gen graphics. So if the Scorpio has something at par with that, you will have a machine doing native 4K often.

Yeah, but given how heavily MS is pushing the 4K Blu-Ray thing, I dont see them leaving that out of Scorpio, and that's definitely gonna add some costs. $600 sounds the most likely.

From what I hear UHD is inexpensive and the proof of that is X1 S offering UHD support for $299.

My prediction is $400 if MS is willing to take a hit. But $600 is highly unlikely, $500 would be a better guess.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

AsGryffynn said:
shikamaru317 said:

AMD already confirmed that Scorpio will be using an AMD chipset.

MS went with Intel and Nvidia for the original Xbox and they lost a lot of money.

The hardware they use now gets great results at a lower price.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
AsGryffynn said:

MS went with Intel and Nvidia for the original Xbox and they lost a lot of money.

Mostly Nvidia's greed. If they went for a luxury console, they'd been better... 

shikamaru317 said:
AsGryffynn said:

I agree that Intel-Nvidia would offer better performance, but I knew it would never happen for Scorpio, because Scorpio has to be backwards compatible with XB1 and future games have to be able to run on both XB1 and Scorpio. That would be too tricky if they switched to Intel-Nvidia. Luckily there is a major benefit to using AMD tech, they're desperate for design wins and therefore likely gave MS a good price on the Scorpio chipset. Regardless of what some people in this thread think, $400 is a possibility and $500 or less is pretty much guaranteed. MS would never have betwen able to hit that price with a comparable custom Intel-Nvidia chipset, at least not without selling at a pretty big loss. 

Intel+nVidia may offer less performance.

Remember these devices are designed to hit a certain price point... If you were targeting your hardware to hit say $400 you have to go with some extremely compromised Intel and nVidia hardware to hit that.
AMD is cheaper, which means more performance for your dollar... It is only untill you hit the upper levels of the market that Intel and nVidia are leagues ahead of AMD. But console hardware is also not high-end.

Plus, going Intel and nVidia means that Microsoft cannot have a single chip solution, which drives those costs up even higher.

DialgaMarine said:

Yeah. Microsoft won over a ton of gamers with 4k Blu Ray support, they aren't about to give that up with Scorpio.

With that said, it also might not add anything to the costs, plenty of regular Blu Ray drives on the PC only require a firmware update to enable 4k Blu Ray support.

konkari said:

nVidia isn't going to happen.

The Xbox is already running a modified Windows OS. As well as the Xbox OS and the Xbox 360 OS in some cases.

Mr Puggsly said:
AsGryffynn said:

This. They get more performance for the price they are targeting.
Everything is also consolidated into a single chip which helps keep costs low.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pretty sure most of the rational people here can agree on two things:

1. It will be stronger than PS4Pro
2. It will be more expensive than PS4Pro

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames