By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spencer suggests Scorpio will cost not more than $600 USD

Hiku said:

"nor will a higher price than another “which has already heard in the video game industry before.”

Looks like the article used Google translate.
The source article says this: "So I wouldn’t get people worried that this thing is going to be unlike any console price you’ve ever seen."
http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-phil-spencer-project-scorpio

I would use that wording instead in the OP.

But yeah that would suggest a price no larger than $600. Unless there's been another console that's more expensive than fat PS3? Perhaps a NEO GEO?

Yep, Neo Geo launched at $649. And 3DO even higher, at $699. And this if MS isn't playing with truth, as it often does, even further, adjusting past premium console prices for inflation.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
DialgaMarine said:
$599 seems the most likely, given the hardware, and if it doesn't receive any rumored upgrades. A native 4K machine really is going to be expensive, but I don't foresee it as being a 9th gen console, so for a premium product, that would make sense.

The RX 480 is priced around $200 - $250 and is just shy of 6 teraflops (about 5.8). So frankly Scorpio is not powerful enough to justify $600.

The RX 480 is also fully capable of doing 4K/30-60 fps with current gen graphics. So if the Scorpio has something at par with that, you will have a machine doing native 4K often.

Why not ? RX480 is not a chipset. I have not seen a gpu for years lol but I am sure it is big enough and needs equivalent cpu to feed it so that it is not bottlenecked and obviously a decent power supply as well. Microsoft is clearly going for a big upgrade to push 4K resolution if possible. So that will come at a cost. Although I agree 600$ for a console is expensive unless the new console will play all the Xbone games at high resolution. Because in PS4P dev has to support the Pro mode, the console itself cannot do it. I am sticking with 500$ where dev has to support it just like PS4P

exclusive_console said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The RX 480 is priced around $200 - $250 and is just shy of 6 teraflops (about 5.8). So frankly Scorpio is not powerful enough to justify $600.

The RX 480 is also fully capable of doing 4K/30-60 fps with current gen graphics. So if the Scorpio has something at par with that, you will have a machine doing native 4K often.

Why not ? RX480 is not a chipset. I have not seen a gpu for years lol but I am sure it is big enough and needs equivalent cpu to feed it so that it is not bottlenecked and obviously a decent power supply as well. Microsoft is clearly going for a big upgrade to push 4K resolution if possible. So that will come at a cost. Although I agree 600$ for a console is expensive unless the new console will play all the Xbone games at high resolution. Because in PS4P dev has to support the Pro mode, the console itself cannot do it. I am sticking with 500$ where dev has to support it just like PS4P

I'm saying whatever GPU they stick in the Scorpio will likely be at par with RX 480. Just like X1 is at par with the 7770.

4K with current X1 graphics should be relatively easy with the big GPU upgrade. The CPU shouldnt be an issue for achieving 4K but it will get a boost. The thing is its gonna be 4K with essentally current console graphics, not max PC settings. But Scorpio may have improved textures thanks to RAM boost.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I suppose it comes down to what market they're really shooting for.

Naturally, if they want mass market, $399 (which seems a little unrealistic for the claimed specs without taking a significant hit on each unit sold on BoM over MSRP) would have to be the price point.

SCE would likely respond by cutting price on the PS4P to $299 after one year on market, potentially keeping the PS4S on the catalog at $199 although I'm curious as to whether a revised PS4S a year from now would still be profitable. Maybe they can sell it near a 1:1 ratio at BoM to MSRP, and maybe they keep it in production just to keep their market more open to a broader market.

I could potentially see the PS3 being removed from the market in this scenario after over ten years on market. But software and PSN Store residual sales should play a large part in whether or not that happens.

More realistically, I would expect to see a $499 MSRP, which still sets it as a "premium" product, despite SCE marketing their $399 consoles as a "Pro" device. I'll withhold my personal comments over that bit of marketing on their part.

If MS is shooting for an "elite" market (the same market occupied by consumers who spent $149 on a Xbox Elite controller), I could potentially see them setting the MSRP at $599, which would make it a smaller niche product, but one that won't be losing them money as I'm unconvinced they can become loss leaders with an Xbox that has a lower MSRP than the BoM. They simply don't have market leverage based upon existing XBO sales and Scorpio is currently being hyped as a part of the XBO environment rather than as an all new hardware platform.

So again, it really boils down to what market MS is shooting for.

Mr Puggsly said:
exclusive_console said:

I'm saying whatever GPU they stick in the Scorpio will likely be at par with RX 480. Just like X1 is at par with the 7770.

4K with current X1 graphics should be relatively easy with the big GPU upgrade. The CPU shouldnt be an issue for achieving 4K but it will get a boost. The thing is its gonna be 4K with essentally current console graphics, not max PC settings. But Scorpio may have improved textures thanks to RAM boost.

The main limiter to achieving 4k resolutions is GPU performance, not CPU.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
I'm predicting a $449 launch price. Maybe even $399 if they are in the mood to price war PS4P.

A man can only dream... And then at that time the PS4 Pro will probably be $349. Either that or there will be bundles with games or a second controller at $399.

exclusive_console said:
My guess is 500$ and will have BR player. I also expect it to be more bigger, heavier than PS4P

Well BR player is confirmed basically and being bigger/heavier is a given looking as even X1S is bigger than PS4 og

Azuren said:

Pretty sure most of the rational people here can agree on two things:

1. It will be stronger than PS4Pro
2. It will be more expensive than PS4Pro

That much can't be argueed.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

599 would be a failure. 449 is an acceptable price to me.

Azuren said:

Pretty sure most of the rational people here can agree on two things:

1. It will be stronger than PS4Pro
2. It will be more expensive than PS4Pro

Well,

How could anyone disagree with either point?  

1.  Its already announced as 50% more powerful

2.  See #1 and it comes out a year later.  The ps4pro will have dropped $50-$100

It is near the end of the end....

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The main limiter to achieving 4k resolutions is GPU performance, not CPU.

Indeed. PS4 generally pushed higher resolutions than X1 because of that extra GPU power inspite of a slower CPU.

Eitherway the PS4 Pro and Scropio are getting CPU upgrades.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)