By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spencer suggests Scorpio will cost not more than $600 USD

DonFerrari said:
eva01beserk said:

I know that. Wii u comes to mind. But if they deiced on a ps4p deive with only a bump in gpu of 40% to reach that $400 price match, then they better not even try. They need to have the hardware to be close to the ps5 in 3-4 years. wich it wil be like 9-10tflops, With 8tflops the diference wont be that large and they can just release another slim that would match in price by then at $400. pleaseenthusiast now at a premium of $600 then mass market when the ps5 launches at $400, with some slight improovements the slim will have.

Dreamcast tried something like that and also failed.

Launching first, or being more powerfull won't help that much. Even more when it's considerably more expensive and all games it can play the older version can as well.

They are more at risk of PS5 devouring them than they to be prepared ahead of time.

The dreamcast is an exageratin as it launched not even 2 years after its predecesor. Or im thinking of the saturn, not sure I dint really follow sega much. But it also had the ps1 to compete with, wich even the 64 barely held on. Sega did many mistakes while sony was crushing back then. 

I do agree that its still a gamble with the odds against them, I really see no other choice, they just cant compete in the 8th gen anymore. Well, they can actually make many new and diverse games aside from their core 3, but we know thats not hapening. :p

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Scorpio is quite a beast with its 6TF of performance and 4K-BR player. 499$ or even 599$ is justified for what you get. A high end console for a limited market.

eva01beserk said:
DonFerrari said:

Dreamcast tried something like that and also failed.

Launching first, or being more powerfull won't help that much. Even more when it's considerably more expensive and all games it can play the older version can as well.

They are more at risk of PS5 devouring them than they to be prepared ahead of time.

The dreamcast is an exageratin as it launched not even 2 years after its predecesor. Or im thinking of the saturn, not sure I dint really follow sega much. But it also had the ps1 to compete with, wich even the 64 barely held on. Sega did many mistakes while sony was crushing back then. 

I do agree that its still a gamble with the odds against them, I really see no other choice, they just cant compete in the 8th gen anymore. Well, they can actually make many new and diverse games aside from their core 3, but we know thats not hapening. :p

When we think it's easier to make a new HW than to make a new franchise we know things are crazy =]

But I do agree that they would have more chance on making a new gen, but since they want Scorpio to be generationless and to keep the same games for scorpio and Slim I don't think they will give Sony that much of a problem on being headstarting.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
eva01beserk said:

When we think it's easier to make a new HW than to make a new franchise we know things are crazy =]

But I do agree that they would have more chance on making a new gen, but since they want Scorpio to be generationless and to keep the same games for scorpio and Slim I don't think they will give Sony that much of a problem on being headstarting.

Seeing as how poorly MS has been with softwre since the mid 360 life, I would say for them is easyer to make new hardware.

I may not now much about software, but I think they can make it with gens, I mean the pc has been doing it for ever and theese consoles and the new will basicly be pc's. there might come a limit when a certain device wont handle but it wont be until ps4p i think.  but who knows, i certanly dont.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Scorpio may be more powerful than ps4 pro but with ps4 market leader they will probably be forced to undercut ps4 pro pricing to get marketshare and probably just before the scorpio is released sony will start giving details out of its new ps5 model which will be much superior to scorpio.

$600 is too much anyway. I don't think that is a sweetspot for most markets.

Around the Network

Either 499 or 599. Not less.

Solid-Stark said:

Scorpio will probably be RX490 based and will have Puma+ based CPU. Enough to do away with any form of upscaling but probably still not enough for native 4K60. If you ask me, this is a solid $499 (minimum) console.

Yeah, I think the X1 will have the power to push many X1 titles to 4K, but that will generally be at 30 fps.

However a 1080p/60 fps games on X1 like Forza titles, should be able to achieve 4K/60 fps on Scorpio.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

eva01beserk said:
DonFerrari said:

Seeing as how poorly MS has been with softwre since the mid 360 life, I would say for them is easyer to make new hardware.

I may not now much about software, but I think they can make it with gens, I mean the pc has been doing it for ever and theese consoles and the new will basicly be pc's. there might come a limit when a certain device wont handle but it wont be until ps4p i think.  but who knows, i certanly dont.

I do agree with you.

What I'm saying is that unless they backtrack on their promise of ALL games being launched for Scorpio must work on X1S they won't really have a generation leap perceived and will hardly take advantage of undercuting sony on launching a new gen. But of course they can try and see if they get out without burning themselves with cutting support for X1S one or two years after scorpio comes out and them have a new gen

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The "secrets" of the PS4 Pro is starting to become more and more evident. I wonder how mature the content for the PS4 Pro will be by the time the Scorpio is released.

DirtyP2002 said:
I want that $999 bundle with the Rift.
Fuck those haters.

I'll pay 699 for Scorpio if MS and Sony can come together and make psvr work on Scorpio and PC. It's bad enough to have different sets of controllers in the house, now I've got to store different headsets as well.