By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sean Murray's been in hiding for the past month and a half

Has Sean Murray run off with people's people's money?

Yes 159 64.90%

No 45 18.37%

See Results 41 16.73%

Total:245

Maybe he is in jail now. Who knows. :P

Around the Network
Dr.Vita said:
Maybe he is in jail now. Who knows. :P

I just got the image of Sean Murray telling his huge angry cellmate about the 14 quintillion planets in No Mans Sky.lol

0815user said:
good strategy, people seem so desperate to get a reply from him that when he finally opens his mouth again a headline is pretty much guaranteed. i'd say stay hidden shawn until the ps4pro vr version of no mans sky is ready for download on psn.

This would be the smart thing to do.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Shinobi-san said:
This guy is so genuine and passionate about game development, its kinda really sad to see how some gamers have responded.

It sends a big message to indie devs.

Also they still updating the game so i don't see how his social media silence can be interpreted as running away. He will just get flooded with hate to anything he says.

Is that message "hey don't repeatedly lie through your teeth about your game leading up to release"? Because if so, then mission fucking accomplished :)

No the message is play it safe dont try and be different. At no point during the hype building of NMS was I under the impression it would be anything other than what i ended it up being. Which is what is confusing me about the hate the game got. An indie dev can only ever do so much.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Fei-Hung said:
Shinobi-san said:
This guy is so genuine and passionate about game development, its kinda really sad to see how some gamers have responded.

It sends a big message to indie devs.

Also they still updating the game so i don't see how his social media silence can be interpreted as running away. He will just get flooded with hate to anything he says.

It's a two way relationship: you speak to gamers, you create a bond with them, you build your trust and they will look after you and support the work you do. You screw them over and you lose all of that. 

This should send a huge message to all indie and larger developers and publishers. Stop biting the hands that feed you. Stop talking shite and releasing half baked, rushed out buggy games - especially at full price! 

It is going into hiding. No one knows what the hell is going on with the game. They are updating stuff by mostly fixing bugs, glitches, graphics, and sprucing up load times, mining times etc. No one still knows when the missing features will be added, no one knows why shit was taken out of the game, no one knows when and if it will be added, no one knows at what cost it will be added. 

Had they been straight up like Capcom and said we have very limited resources and money, but this is the game we plan to make, however, due to limitations we will release the base game now at this cost and you will get these features. The next month we will add these features.... That would have made it okay, but they released this as a full game at AAA full game cost and left out half the shit, had a game that kept crashing and glitching, and to date we have no idea what they will add, when and at what cost. 

The responsibility squarely falls on Hello Games and Sean Murray since they are the developer and after creating the shit storm they have, they've decided to stop speaking to the people who invested in their game. No apology, no hint of sincerity, of hope, of salvation or anything. 

Same reply as I said to the other guy, as an avid gamer who actually follows most things in the industry at no point during the promoting of NMS was i under the impression it would be any different than what it ended up being.

Seems like theres a group of gamers who felt differently and this view seems to be imposed on every gamer out there.

I dont see how its actually possibly that this game could have been different given that this is an indie dev with a tiny team.

The flak they got for performance issues is perfectly valid and i wont defend that. But people are complaining about the core game, gameplay features etc. Thats just rediculous imo.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network

Probably doesn't want to be bombarded with hate messages.

Lrdfancypants said:
Millions lie in wait....

Where are you Murray? We're waiting for you... Lol.

Only a fool would post. Maybe he is a fool, I don't know but I know I damn sure wouldn't post as nothing I'd say would matter to those waiting breathlessly for my tweet.

Its actually the smartest thing he could do. Instead of flipping out like Phil Fish, he removed himself from the situation. I'm sure that once something catastrophic like Gears 4 sucking or TLG gets delayed until 2020, he'll quietly come back and most of us will go 'huh whatever happened to that guy.'

Shinobi-san said:
Fei-Hung said:

It's a two way relationship: you speak to gamers, you create a bond with them, you build your trust and they will look after you and support the work you do. You screw them over and you lose all of that. 

This should send a huge message to all indie and larger developers and publishers. Stop biting the hands that feed you. Stop talking shite and releasing half baked, rushed out buggy games - especially at full price! 

It is going into hiding. No one knows what the hell is going on with the game. They are updating stuff by mostly fixing bugs, glitches, graphics, and sprucing up load times, mining times etc. No one still knows when the missing features will be added, no one knows why shit was taken out of the game, no one knows when and if it will be added, no one knows at what cost it will be added. 

Had they been straight up like Capcom and said we have very limited resources and money, but this is the game we plan to make, however, due to limitations we will release the base game now at this cost and you will get these features. The next month we will add these features.... That would have made it okay, but they released this as a full game at AAA full game cost and left out half the shit, had a game that kept crashing and glitching, and to date we have no idea what they will add, when and at what cost. 

The responsibility squarely falls on Hello Games and Sean Murray since they are the developer and after creating the shit storm they have, they've decided to stop speaking to the people who invested in their game. No apology, no hint of sincerity, of hope, of salvation or anything. 

Same reply as I said to the other guy, as an avid gamer who actually follows most things in the industry at no point during the promoting of NMS was i under the impression it would be any different than what it ended up being.

Seems like theres a group of gamers who felt differently and this view seems to be imposed on every gamer out there.

I dont see how its actually possibly that this game could have been different given that this is an indie dev with a tiny team.

The flak they got for performance issues is perfectly valid and i wont defend that. But people are complaining about the core game, gameplay features etc. Thats just rediculous imo.

And I'll say the same thing what many people complaining are saying. You can follow what this person said avidly and come to a different conclusion.

When I was a kid, between me and my friends I heard it all. Why homework was missing, why we would be too sick to play rugby in the rain or cold for PE, why we failed a test, why we should be allowed to sleep over, why the smell of smoke from your clothes isn't from you smoking. The reasons, excuses and language was artful, deceiving and flat out bullshit. However, there was always the odd kid would get away with shit. My brother was one of them and even is now. The reason why this one kid would getaway with it could be anything from his innocent looks, how he spoke compared to everyone else, who his parents were, how religious he was, because he was known to help his mom a lot, maybe because he spent more time reading books than other kids. I think you get the point.

People have hope and when the person selling you hope comes across intelligent, humble, passionate, an everyday person, you are more likely to buy into the shit than if it were Bobby Kotick or Randy Pitchford. 

The reality is after the VGX reveal, Sean Murray could easily have said, "people, this is a simple mining & crafting game. You mine resources, you upgrade your suit and your ship which allows you to carry more things, survive the various atmospheres better and travel further, faster. To do this, we have created a sandbox that can have between 4-10 explorable planets. There will be no mp and no way for players to interact with one another. However, we have future plans for this game to add factions, different class ships, allow animals to deform vegetation, allow you to meet other players and take part in large scale space battles beaten factions." 

He didn't do this. Like any other kid who is in trouble he fabricated things, was extra vague, made comparisons to games, and when you add it all up, led many players to believe something which was never there. 

Geoff Keighley I think hit the nail on the head with what he said and how he explained it. Sean Murray had the option to take the ethical and moral road but he chose not to. He had several opportunities to come clean. He could have even launched this game for £20 like other indie games of better quality, but he chose not to. 

Regardless of how small the team is, there is no excuse. They certainly didn't charge small. And even after all is said and done, he categorically said there will be no DLC. After release he said content will be added but all additions will be free. Then the next day he changed his mind again and said some dlc will be free and some at a cost. There is no getting away from this. 

Maybe he's had a nervous breakdown, maybe next we can hope for some phil fish esque tweets.

"Compare your life to mine and then kill yourself."

What really amazes me over this whole situation is from what I've heard Murray exaggerated heavily but isn't that what Molyneux was doing for decades? I remember Fable being touted like it's the game even God would turn up to pre-order I don't recall any reaction like this.