By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If CERN/NASA were to prove our universe is a simulation, how would it affect you?

If its all just a sim, I would have to imagine its either some type of entertainment (tv show, video game, gambling) or necessary training to enter the next level of simulation or real life (could be extremely hostile in many ways) or just a way to keep your brain active in the real world (Matrix slave style, or your dead and your brain is in a jar and the sim is just here to keep your brain firing until you can be put into a new body, human or machine)

If its all just a sim, the odds of us being able to prove that, is about as likely as our GTA sims realizing their sims, and proving it.

On a lighter note, if I HAD to ask them something, I'd ask them who the heck thought it was a good idea to make me like gaming, but also give me strong country roots, where the internet is intolerably slow, and whether or not that life form has been fired yet!

Around the Network
John2290 said:
mjk45 said:

It was just a stray thought , coming from the notion that something is nothing until it's named .

I thought you were seting up a joke :D. They used to call that the ether, we noe call it a vacuum but their is strong evidence that even in the vacuum beyond Earth there is "stuff" in it. Neutrinos for one. However, what I think you mean is the concept of nothingness, In the case of that thought experiment I am speaking of true nothingness. If there is or ever was true nothingness (A true vacuum) and you add anything at all it ceases to be a true vacuum. Information seems to get around this but that all leads back into the OP...

Yeah it's a bit like the vacuum of deep space atoms are there just spread very thinly.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
CosmicSex said:

shouldn't the question be why is the earth  the perfect distance away ,since the sun is in the centre. anyway to me the why question combined with the word perfect makes it seem like it's some kind of miracle but just the immense numbers of solar systems means it could be more common than we think ,and just like we are adapted to a particular enviroment there can be adaptions suited to non earth style planets .

They believe life on earth, came from mars, by a meteor impacting mars that flew off and landed here.

The theory is called "panspermia".  They also believe life was formed in space by ice crystals.

So life came from somewhere out there in space, and a landed on mars (when the planet was younger and supported life), then a big meteor hit it, broke off parts that flew towards earth and landed here. Inside that meteor was what became life on this planet. 

All this doesnt have to go against Religion btw.

Maybe god was just the guideing hand, that made sure events played out as they did.

I would ask them why they haven't invented Faster Than Light travel yet.

Here's a question for some.

If proven to be true, and for the moment let go of any extensive knowledge of programming you may or may not have.

How would this affect your view of A.I. in video games? How would this view affect in you in the real world? Would you feel any guilt?

Around the Network
Airaku said:

How would this affect your view of A.I. in video games? How would this view affect in you in the real world? Would you feel any guilt?

First, guilt for what?

AI in games would only be to the level we can develop. AI is games compared to what we think might be possible is pathetic in general because it's not AI at all, it doesn't learn, it's programmed to respond.

We can't change anything so it wouldn't affect me directly, only way is if we found out how to get into our code, then cure for everything will happen.

Hmm, pie.

JRPGfan said:
Slimebeast said:
I would ask them to take me out of the simulation and allow me to live forever.

Religion basically says that happends to all of us, afterwards anyways.

Whats the big hurry? enjoy life and let it happend the natural way.

Just logged in after years to say you sure sound chipper about this whole life thing. So much so, in fact, that I'm starting to suspect you're actually some sort of PR Bot for the simulation. Sorry to burst your bubble there.

PS: This is just a joke. Of course. Haha.

Ha.

(please don't delete me)

Airaku said:
Here's a question for some. 

If proven to be true, and for the moment let go of any extensive knowledge of programming you may or may not have.

Well, I mean, I eat meat, I guess it's kind of the same.

mjk45 said:
John2290 said:

I thought you were seting up a joke :D. They used to call that the ether, we noe call it a vacuum but their is strong evidence that even in the vacuum beyond Earth there is "stuff" in it. Neutrinos for one. However, what I think you mean is the concept of nothingness, In the case of that thought experiment I am speaking of true nothingness. If there is or ever was true nothingness (A true vacuum) and you add anything at all it ceases to be a true vacuum. Information seems to get around this but that all leads back into the OP...

Yeah it's a bit like the vacuum of deep space atoms are there just spread very thinly.

Actually, if you're looking at sub/inter-atomic levels, you should probably be taking quantics into consideration, wich means you'd probably treat the particles as waves and deal with wave packets and functions. So, really, there's no such a thing as the "empty" space "between" atoms/particles, if we are to be strict. The wave function at any given point in space being never identically zero, there's always a chance something might be observed anywhere at any given moment, even if that probability gets vanishingly small at some points. On the other hand, if you try to define the concept of occupied space as a point where a particle actually is, then it's also debatable whether you could say any given specifc point is occupied, for much of the same reasons, but that's debating over the definitions of thing and is, pretty much. Besides that, if you zoom out just a bit and ignore the areas where the chance of detection of anything else already accounted for is absurdly small, still you might have particle/anti-particle pairs poping up and anihilating themselves.

And vacuum is really just an abstraction anyway.

I think. I mean, I have been fluking Quantum Theory the last few semesters after all :P

AsGryffynn said:
Find a way out...

Only to find out that the next layer is also a simulation and the next and the next and so on... 

The thing is, no one can prove it's not a simulation.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
The thing is, no one can prove it's not a simulation.

Morpheus could.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.