By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do we insist that NX has to be another PS or XB, or else it'll fail?

Does NX need to be on par with PS4 and XBone to succeed?

Yes 96 30.77%

No 118 37.82%

Yes, but... 33 10.58%

No, but... 65 20.83%

Total:312

I believe what the NX needs to have is core first party franchises back like Metroid and Earthbound. Also a mario adventure game. We already know it is getting Zelda.

Throw that in with new first party IPs and they already have a strong offering. However if third parties supported it enough to support it with a few unique games to the console on top of that, it will be successful.

We don't need a 3rd PS4 type console, we need one that offers us something that the other two don't. In that regard, power is not everything but it should be strong enough to run PS4 games at 720p at least for some of the heavy hitting multiplats. If it is a handheld hybrid, that alone would make the NX version appealing to many.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

For it to be successful, they need to tap the energy that the Wii and the DS grabbed. Both systems were underpowered compared to their competition, and both beat the competition. Wii won buy 6% over both XB360 and PS3 (though it could not maintain a majority), and DS nearly reached 2/3 marketshare for handhelds.

Maybe they need to just go underpowered... Or try to make that "PC/Nintendo Dream" a reality by releasing a console that only for 720p@60FPS. FPS jockeys will lose their shit.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

KLXVER said:
Normchacho said:
The problem is that unless it's powerful enough to play the major third party games it's not going to sell to the mainstream gamer.

Simply put, Nintendo doesn't do enough to appeal to 18-34 year olds and the NX will fliunder and die without them.

That sounds a bit weird. Why would 18-34 year olds choose the NX over the PS4 for the third party support? If they do then that would mean Sony exclusives dont appeal to them either...

If they're the kind of gamer that plays mostly COD and sports games then they could be swayed into getting the NX because either it also has games their kids can play, or at least it might be an easier sell to their spouse.

Plus, the ability to play the games without needing to take up the TV right out of the box could be appealing. But if it doesn't get those games, or only gets gimped versions then they'll miss out on that demographic. 

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

KLXVER said:
Normchacho said:
The problem is that unless it's powerful enough to play the major third party games it's not going to sell to the mainstream gamer.

Simply put, Nintendo doesn't do enough to appeal to 18-34 year olds and the NX will fliunder and die without them.

That sounds a bit weird. Why would 18-34 year olds choose the NX over the PS4 for the third party support? If they do then that would mean Sony exclusives dont appeal to them either...

Because 18-34 year olds enjoy CoD for the most part, and unless Nintendo changes the choices from "CoD/PlayStation vs Nintendo" to "CoD/PlayStation vs CoD/Nintendo", Nintendo will fail again.

Normchacho said:
KLXVER said:

If they're the kind of gamer that plays mostly COD and sports games then they could be swayed into getting the NX because either it also has games their kids can play, or at least it might be an easier sell to their spouse.

Plus, the ability to play the games without needing to take up the TV right out of the box could be appealing. But if it doesn't get those games, or only gets gimped versions then they'll miss out on that demographic. 

Sounds easier to buy a PS4/XB1 and a WiiU then. Then you get everything you want.

Around the Network
Azuren said:
KLXVER said:

Because 18-34 year olds enjoy CoD for the most part, and unless Nintendo changes the choices from "CoD/PlayStation vs Nintendo" to "CoD/PlayStation vs CoD/Nintendo", Nintendo will fail again.

There were two COD games released for the WiiU. Didnt help...

Well, if it end up not being something that the general population wants, it will fail, just like the Wii U. It's cool that Nintendo is willing to take risks, but if it doesn't pay off, the system won't be around that long.

KLXVER said:
Azuren said:

Because the better looking versions were on PS4/XB1, and the online for Wii U is kind of a joke.

Honestly, I think if Nintendo dropped the kid gloves and gave people a real party/chat system, it might solve a lot of problems. Nintendo has failed for 2 generations to get online right. Culture's mass embracing of online could partially explain the Wii's dip in popularity near the end of its life, and could also partially explain the Wii U's failure.

The thing is, though, it doesn't need to be as strong as PS4Pro or XB1Scorpio. Just close to the base models' power. Enough that developers can say "Okay, we'll develop for this, then port up." Combine that with a real online service, and Nintendo could finally compete on PS4 and XB1's level... Except they'd have Mario and Pokemon, which would give them a massive advantage.

We insist that it has to be another X1/PS4 because that is how it gets games. Look at first party for both of the twins. We could practically look it up on a milk carton. If either one were forced to go alone like Nintendo did with Wii neither one would have sold well.

Power means 3rd parties. Nintendo desperately needs 3rd party devs. They need the AAA games to land on their console too in spite of what anyone says. If Nintendo decides to abandon 3rd parties again in favor of another Wii style gimmick then their hardware days are numbered.

Azuren said:
KLXVER said:

Because the better looking versions were on PS4/XB1, and the online for Wii U is kind of a joke.

Honestly, I think if Nintendo dropped the kid gloves and gave people a real party/chat system, it might solve a lot of problems. Nintendo has failed for 2 generations to get online right. Culture's mass embracing of online could partially explain the Wii's dip in popularity near the end of its life, and could also partially explain the Wii U's failure.

The thing is, though, it doesn't need to be as strong as PS4Pro or XB1Scorpio. Just close to the base models' power. Enough that developers can say "Okay, we'll develop for this, then port up." Combine that with a real online service, and Nintendo could finally compete on PS4 and XB1's level... Except they'd have Mario and Pokemon, which would give them a massive advantage.

I dont think Black Ops 2 were released on the PS4/XB1. The WiiU version had voice chat and the online was free.

I think the image they have been given as "being for kids" is the thing that hurts them the most. Nintendo makes games for everyone and that will never change. I dont think COD, AC, BF, GTA etc will ever be the reason for people to get a Nintendo console.