By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to Take 'Final Orders' for Wii U

Looks like I'll finally, eventually have to pick one up.

Should be real cheap before NX launch.

Around the Network

Where are the folks who said that the NX didn't mean abandoning the Wii U? This was all too obvious all along, they want to drop the Wii U as soon as possible and get 100% behind a platform that still has a potential future instead.

Another lie from Nintendo:

Wii U got as much support as PC from that pic. In 2016 they announced more games for smartphones, than for Wii U.

I'm not qualified to say if this is true or not. However, would it really shock anyone?

Nintendo would have cut the Wii U whether it was a success or not. Look at the original Wii as the example. It sold past 100 million. Yet Nintendo still cut the Wii's Network support and product support when the Wii U was coming.

In essence, Nintendo left the vast majority of their customers hanging. And it's not like every Wii U owner had a Wii.

My opinion, there's no excuse for them doing this to their customers. The PS3 and 360 are a generation older than the Wii U and are still online. The Vita as bad as it sells is still online.

Overall, what message does this send to potential customers? This is what Nintendo needs to start asking themselves.

*Looks at sig, smiles*.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Looks like I'll finally, eventually have to pick one up.

Should be real cheap before NX launch.

Honestly, wouldnt surprise me if they are pretty much sold out around NX launch. Wouldnt expect a super cheap Wii U at any point if you want a new one.

Boberkun said:

Another lie from Nintendo:

Wii U got as much support as PC from that pic. In 2016 they announced more games for smartphones, than for Wii U.

How is that a lie? They will all be connected somehow, no matter the support of games.

Well then.

If true, I guess this'll finally put to bed the age old VGChartz question "When will WiiU pass Vita in sales?"

Ahhh, those were good times.  Well I mean they weren't, you got shit on for being a Vita owner, but there were so many threads and everyone making crazy predictions.

Such as this one, before WiiU launched, where people were predicting such gems as WiiU passing Vita in pre-orders alone (any reason WiiU won't dominate in Japan, right?)

Then there was this one, after launch, where people were convinced WiiU's poor sales were just a lack of games and not a compelling product and basically laughed out at Sensei.

Or this doozy, where people had seen the abysmal WiiU first year and continued to predict it'd happen by the end of 2013.  Thankfully, we started getting responses in these threads of "never" as people begun to realise both consoles were failures.

(It's a shame people can keep voting on polls indefinitely, because it really skews the results compared to how they were at the time, so you have to dig through the replies to really get an idea of what the general consensus was).

Anyway, I don't really have much more to add.  Of course it's a shame to see a piece of hardware sink like this, but I suppose I can't blame them for stopping manufacturing when they don't really have one truly successful market to keep making it for.  I just find it amusing as a user who joined pretty much at the height of "WiiU is going to destroy Vita" threads see it come to this - both going out with a whimper, Vita winning in the end but it's such a hollow victory that no-one cares anymore.

(And I know we won't truly ever know if Vita won, due to Sony stopping shipment infomation, meaning VGC is all we have to go on)

Kresnik said:

Well then.

If true, I guess this'll finally put to bed the age old VGChartz question "When will WiiU pass Vita in sales?"

Ahhh, those were good times.  Well I mean they weren't, you got shit on for being a Vita owner, but there were so many threads and everyone making crazy predictions.

Such as this one, before WiiU launched, where people were predicting such gems as WiiU passing Vita in pre-orders alone (any reason WiiU won't dominate in Japan, right?)

Then there was this one, after launch, where people were convinced WiiU's poor sales were just a lack of games and not a compelling product and basically laughed out at Sensei.

Or this doozy, where people had seen the abysmal WiiU first year and continued to predict it'd happen by the end of 2013.  Thankfully, we started getting responses in these threads of "never" as people begun to realise both consoles were failures.

(It's a shame people can keep voting on polls indefinitely, because it really skews the results compared to how they were at the time, so you have to dig through the replies to really get an idea of what the general consensus was).

Anyway, I don't really have much more to add.  Of course it's a shame to see a piece of hardware sink like this, but I suppose I can't blame them for stopping manufacturing when they don't really have one truly successful market to keep making it for.  I just find it amusing as a user who joined pretty much at the height of "WiiU is going to destroy Vita" threads see it come to this - both going out with a whimper, Vita winning in the end but it's such a hollow victory that no-one cares anymore.

(And I know we won't truly ever know if Vita won, due to Sony stopping shipment infomation, meaning VGC is all we have to go on)

Sony dont give sales data for Vita, could actually be that Wii U has passed Vita ,we will never know 100%. Vita fans will claim victory but are those hollow claims?

The games will be more expensive than the console. As bad as the Philips CDi was, the console goes for 100 to 200 bucks on ebay. Even the rare portable is 300 on amazon.

The game Zelda's Adventure for the CDi on the otherhand goes for over 400 bucks, with the other two Zeldas being at least 100 bucks a pop.

When it comes to rare collection's, the games will always be more of an investment than the console. The WiiU 10 years down the road will sell for no more than what you see now.

This is coming from someone who is currently buying rare consoles and games.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

BasilZero said:
Pavolink said:

There are new Nintendo Select games.

I already have all those WiiU games - I meant other games that arent on it already.

There's still no NSMB-U on Nintendo select :(

NSMB U has been the price of a Nintendo select title in the UK at least for years anyway.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.