By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Pro is a 800$ Gaming PC, Best bang for your Buck

Lawlight said:
malistix1985 said:

Its a RX480 but the clock speed is wayyyyy lower and it has shared memory and stuff, a RX480 in the PC is much faster, also has the ability to increase the base clock (which is already faster) and this is not possible on the PS4.

So yes the performance is closer to the RX470 because of that, sony proberbly did this to reduce the heat produces by the graphical card.

Yeah, let's forget the other advantages that a console has. In John Carmack's words: Consoles run 2x or so better than equal PC hardware, but it isn’t just API in the way, focus a single spec also matters.

Would this be before or after DX12/Vulkan.  With these APIs and games supporting them probably becoming more prevalent soon, will consoles maintain that 2X advantage.

Around the Network

I do not game on the PC as much as I use to back in the day but when all is said and done, the PS4 is not a replacement for a solid PC. The reason for this is that the games that cater to the PC crowd is not on a console, they are cheaper and there is a wealth of them. Everytime a new console is release it has a short term advantage as far as cost but its always been short term. A console cannot scale like the PC because even with this run down in price, most PC gamers will not upgrade or even need to replace the majority of those items.

The cpu isnt the fx, hopefully but not. The gpu is a RX470 underclock.

Intrinsic there's a lot of webs that say is a RX470 underclock

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2861/radeon-rx-470

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2848/radeon-rx-480

As you can see RX470 is 4.94 TFLOPS that fits, RX480 is 5.83TFLOPS.

MEGADRIVE, SNES, SATURN, PS1, N64, DREAMCAST, PS2, GC, XBOX, X360, Wii, PS3, Wii U, PS4, XONE, GAME GEAR, GBP, GBA, NGAGE, GBAP, DS, PSP, 3DS, VITA.

PC has tons of exclusives plus with free online fees
anyone who saying PS4 better than PC library clearly confine with fanboyism on specific console
heck TLOZ BOTW gonna end up as game of generation and better than other ps4 exclusives combines

PC+NX = tons of exclusives plus GOTG

Acevil said:

I don't get how people some fans try to equal costs but do not seem to do the value of the PC versus the console, but hey I get it bias opinions on what is value is, or forgetting hidden costs on all fronts.

Isn't this talking about the cost of entry? By your reasoning everyone buying a car should add in the cost of gas for 8yrs too. 

_Jameson said:
If the PS4 pro did half the things that 800$ pc did, I would have to agree.

Here we go.... but the PS4 is primarily a gaming console. If you want a PC just for games you will still spend that much. 

vivster said:
Thread title should be: "For only $400 less you can get PC that's worth $400 less".

Lol....

Anyways, OP just gonna warn you that this won't go well. This is a little fact about consoles PC gamerr just won't accept. If they did then having spent whatever they spend on a PC would seem stupid. You think purchase validation is bad between two similarly priced consoles with slight differences in performance? Haha, it's 10 times worse when the argument is being made between a console and a PC.

I will say this much tho, you don't need to buy the 8GB 480, the 4GB will do. And if you are willing to do some deal and bargain hunting you can easily knock off $200 from that total price. 

But this much is a fact though, if we are talking about walk in and purchase, you will spend almost double the cost of the PS4 to get something that performs marginally better. 

Around the Network

With a $300 PC I can play games in HD at 60+fps which is honestly MUCH better than any uprendered cinematic-smooth game like most PS4's. Playstation games are made to look good in advertisements only.

Lawlight said:
Uabit said:
400 + monthly fee to play online + more expensive games = it's more expensive than that PC (besides you have no idea of building PCs for what i can tell). Next.

Games cost the same on PC and consoles. We're not in the 2000s anymore.

Not true. I got the new Deux ex for like $42 that was a preorder.

zwei said:

The cpu isnt the fx, hopefully but not. The gpu is a RX470 underclock.

Based on what? these kimda statements are just flat out wrong.

RX 470 = 32CU

RX 480 = 36CU

PS4 GPU clock = 910Mhz

If you run the 480 at that clock you end up with 4.2TF. if you run the 470 at that clock speed you end up with 3.7TF. 

At least try and get your facts straight. 

Last word in

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850