By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Pro is a 800$ Gaming PC, Best bang for your Buck

It is kind of sad or funny depends on you how you like this cup of tea served...

But so many bought a 399 ps4, who also want to upgrade to a PS4 pro that is another 399 who already spend 150ish on the ability to play games online and buy some games twice + more expensive than on PC....and oh god if they are interested in PSVR another 399 (not with camera/move controllers included).... honestly console gaming was cheap but now it feels just less expensive or even more expensive depends on how many games you buy and if you keep on paying for playing online. so that argument about pc is expensive is becoming sad or funny.

I am a bit silly and have gold and PS plus for years and probably spend more than a 1.000 euro on it combined and the games I bought are in total probably 500-1000 euro more than If I would have bought them on PC....  That amound of money is becoming a very nice pc, lucky I already have a great pc and money is not an issue...

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:

It is kind of sad or funny depends on you how you like this cup of tea served...

But so many bought a 399 ps4, who also want to upgrade to a PS4 pro that is another 399 who already spend 150ish on the ability to play games online and buy some games twice + more expensive than on PC....and oh god if they are interested in PSVR another 399 (not with camera/move controllers included).... honestly console gaming was cheap but now it feels just less expensive or even more expensive depends on how many games you buy and if you keep on paying for playing online. so that argument about pc is expensive is becoming sad or funny.

I am a bit silly and have gold and PS plus for years and probably spend more than a 1.000 euro on it combined and the games I bought are in total probably 500-1000 euro more than If I would have bought them on PC....  That amound of money is becoming a very nice pc, lucky I already have a great pc and money is not an issue...

you can sell your old console for 150€ at least like what is you agrument here? PSVR is 399€ much much much cheaper than occlust rift and vive for 800-600€.

PS+ offers you the same games you would buy in steam for free, PC AAA titles are just as pricey as on consoles if not more as they are digital only.  Stop putting out false info/perspective.

Teeqoz said:
Ruler said:

if you already have a past generation pc 90% of those things arent needed

nope its rx 480 

No it's not. The RX480 is 5.8 Tflops, the RX470 is 4.9 Tflops, while the PS4Pro is 4.2.

The PS4 pro uses a downclocked custom rx480.

The tflops aren't the only thing inside a GPU the PS4 pro has the features of rx480 which are better than rx470 and even some more features than rx480.

Another thing is console optimization is still a thing even though people would have you believe otherwise saying stuff like "the new consoles are just ripped PC's" which is severely untrue.

Even if they just were PC's there would still be a ton of optimization possible on fixed hardware that isn't possible on standard PC.

Lawlight said:
malistix1985 said:

Its a RX480 but the clock speed is wayyyyy lower and it has shared memory and stuff, a RX480 in the PC is much faster, also has the ability to increase the base clock (which is already faster) and this is not possible on the PS4.

So yes the performance is closer to the RX470 because of that, sony proberbly did this to reduce the heat produces by the graphical card.

Yeah, let's forget the other advantages that a console has. In John Carmack's words: Consoles run 2x or so better than equal PC hardware, but it isn’t just API in the way, focus a single spec also matters.

Haha, that was before the consoles used X86 architectures, if you watch some of digital foundry's tests you will see that PC's with the same architectures and same graphics cards that the consoles use, in the same settings, get around the same FPS on the same settings in games that released on both PC and Console, like The Witcher 3, Street fighter and so on, in recent video's they also build a PS4 Pro setup, and tests are once again simulair to what we see in the tomb raider release and stuff.

The mindset you have is when the architecture on the console was different from the PC, that all changed this generation, sure, you get some optimalization on consoles, and because PC's don't use shared memory on fast setups, you generally need a bit more ram on pc, but apart from that performance is generally the same on simulait hardware, and the price of that hardware isn't much more expensive then a console...

Don't get me wrong I love PS4, and consoles do offer benefits, especially you dont need like 3 programs (origin, uplay and steam) to play everything, but the ecosystem is more the same then ever

Twitter @CyberMalistix

shikamaru317 said:
Ruler said:

The thing isnt even released yet, a lot of games and all games from now on will offer improved graphics for every TV setting

My point is, out of the 10+ games announced to have PS4 Pro game modes so far, only 3 have been announced to have improved graphics at 1080p versus PS4, Paragon, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and For Honor. Yes there will be more games that have a 1080p imprved graphics mode in the future, but since Sony left the choice up to developers I feel most of them will take the lazy route and only offer two modes, 4K with PS4 equivalent graphics and 1080p with supersampling and PS4 equivalent graphics. 

On the other hand, that $800 PC can play almost every current game at 1080p very high/ultra settings at 60 fps. Many PS4 Pro games don't have improved framerate either, they still run at 30 fps. 

Yes, PS4 Pro value is good, but it's not right for everyone. 

it doesnt matter because just like with the Xbox One S current games who dip below 60 or 30fps probably will see improvemnts in performance. Many games offer unlocked framerate like Killzone Shadowfall in its campaign.

now imagine with twice as much power as a regular PS4

Around the Network

Except that is not.

Can it run emulators? Play online for free? Play games from different decades of gaming? Play with keyboard + mouse? Use and make mods? And the list goes on.

This is probably one of the worst list I have ever seen... Please do some research

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Maybe, but I will be able to play Civ VI on my measly 2.3 TFlops PC.

are you stupid or already blinded by fanboyism ?  performance wise rx480 far above ps4 pro gpu combines with notebook cpu from 2 generation ago

heck even rx470 better than ps4 pro shitty underclocked gpu

User was moderated for this post ~ CGI

Turkish said:
It's not exactly comparable because no matter how much you spend on the PC, it will never have AAA Sony exclusives and that's the only thing that matters: games. Uncharted 4, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, God of War, Spiderman etc etc etc. Wouldn't trade them against anything on pc.

This hits the nail right in the head.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3