By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why the Scorpio will sell for no more than $399 (if its 6tflops).

Will the Scorpio sell for no more than $399 (if its 6Tflops).

Yes. Technology progresse... 117 29.77%

No. Its simply too expens... 276 70.23%

Total:393

This thread feels embarassing.
"Moore's Law!!!" OK, so then talk about processor fabrication advancement to substantiate that.
Sony is using Global Foundries 14nm FinFET. Where is MS going to get10nm by next year to achieve Moore's Law? They aren't.
They are going to use the same process, they are using same designer AMD who is set up to work with 14nm,
yield curves and prices will be better, but Sony will also be getting advantage of that (Sony may well drop prices next holiday).
(Sony is under least $ competition for Pro now, they can price-compete strongly when Scorpio intros, then profit later in gen)
I don't follow RAM fab as closely, but that seems more likely they could find a process improvement from somebody,
which might be what is seen as half-node but which will help them deliver 50% more GDDR for a better price ratio.

I don't believe MS will actually get Zen although if they did it would be great for them, but they will at least use Puma+.
Sony not doing so was IMHO down to making it easier for devs to cross-develop for Pro and OG/Slim, and benefit not > cost.
(in that Puma+ would not turn 30fps games into 60fps, and compatability with PS4 og/ ease of cross-optimization was priority)
MS is clear that they aim to achieve "no generation break" going forward from Scorpio, meaning that the same basic game
on Scorpio 2 will need to be playable on Scorpio 1, with future competition coming from PS 5 / PS4 Pro Neo Lovebaby etc.
Sony's PS5/etc will likely be making break in CPU arch to Zen, just because that will be way forward for performance,
so MS will want to get Zen if they can, but IMHO the time table is just very iffy on that being realistic. Who knows though.
The CPU arch update is not a big factor in cost though, and wasn't a factor is Sony's choice to stay with Jaguar IMHO.
(in that arch improvement are more efficient improver of performance than upclocking obsolete Jaguar architecture)

Scorpio seems most likely to get some subsidy from MS, because helping Scorpio will more directly help Scorpio "Pro"/2/etc,
given that MS can then follow the extended generation approach Sony is using, avoiding generation break/re-set,
they can justify to accountants that they won't need to subsidize ever again, and doing so now helps "extended generation platform".

IMHO they might try to get to $450, but perhaps it would be $500-550, anything above would be lethal,
and even $500 is strongly pushing it, although to re-iterate it is not about "beating" Sony in sales, that is not happening,
they can be fully profitable even trailing by 2:1 as they are now, even if they might aim to improve that somewhat.

Around the Network

I find it hard to believe that Scorpio will cost 400 for the simple fact that GPU tech just recently hit a huge milestone which is the reason why PS4Pro is 400.

Hiku said:
barneystinson69 said:

You need to keep in mind that we don't know how much Microsoft is getting these parts for. The PS4 Pro is the best way to estimate how much the Scorpio will be, as the only differences will be the GPU and RAM. If Microsoft were going for a "different audience", then Microsoft wouldn't only put 6Tflops of graphical power into the Scorpio. As I've said, Microsoft needs to compete with Sony. Making their console $499 will guarentee it fails. Maybe we can wager for it ;)

Their plans for Scorpio likely started years ago. None of them had done something like this before, so why do you assume they based their plans around what Sony would do, when they probably didn't expect Sony to make a Pro? As far as everyone was concerned, Sony would release PS4 Slim, and then PS5. MS should have assumed no differently.
Which means MS intended to do something different than the competition, and that's why they're aiming at a different type of customer.
They didn't expect the Pro, so they assumed it would be 6Tflops vs 1.8 Tflops. They wouldn't need to go higher than 6Tf.
They also knew how successful PS4 would be at an earloy stage, so there would be less rush for Sony to end the generation early and release PS5, giving MS some time with Scorpio.

As for "Only difference is GPU and RAM". A GPU alone can make all the difference. You know that. Do you know what the cheapest GPU is today that can run new games in both 4K and 60fps?
Speaking of how much MS will pay for the parts, we don't know that. Maybe that will be a factor. But so far, MS has sold inferior tech to the PS4, for the same price as PS4. At least they started off that way, and graduately lowered the price. So I'm not so confident about them finding great deals in relation to what their engineers develop.

What would the wager be? I'm not opposed to the idea of MS changing their plans after they've seen the Pro, and observing its sales. But I trust EG enough to expect that they'd have to lower the specs of the Scorpio if they intend to sell it at a lower price.

As I've said, one year is a lot of time. Prices will go down. Anyway, how about 6 months of avatar control? Keep in mind that the specs have to remain relatively the same as what we know of. So if Microsoft decides to upgrade the hardware at the last second, it doesn't count. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Well considering the entire machine is using new hardware not just and upgraded GPU like the PS4 Pro, i'm going to say you're wrong. $599 minimum is my guess.

Hiku said:
barneystinson69 said:

As I've said, one year is a lot of time. Prices will go down. Anyway, how about 6 months of avatar control? Keep in mind that the specs have to remain relatively the same as what we know of. So if Microsoft decides to upgrade the hardware at the last second, it doesn't count. 

Prices need to go down for them to even sell it at $500. Pro achieved an increase of about 2,3 Tflops over PS4 in the span of 3 years. You expect roughly the same Tflop increase for Scorpio over Pro in the span of only one year. (For the same price)
Price of technology goes down, but not nearly that fast.

Speaking of specs, you said it's still going to be a Jaguar CPU, but looking at the tech analysis, that's just speculation. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-xbox-one-project-scorpio-spec-analysis
Seems like the only specs we know are 6Tflops and 320GB/s bandwidth RAM. Am I missing something?
If not, we'll go by that. And downgrading the hardware won't count either in that case. I'm mildly interested in this subject, so two months of avatar control sounds more interesting to me.

Alright. You have a deal. So if it sells for $500 or more, you win. If it sells for $400 or less, I win. If its in between, whoever is closer wins (unless its 450, in that case nobody wins).

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network

Wow 67% of people have no idea what they are talking about. LMAO I can build a PC RIGHT NOW for $600 that matches the Scorpio specs!

In a year graphics cards (At the same price) will be 20-40% stronger than they are now, and therefore I could easily build a 6 TFLOP PC for $400.

Hey you guys do realize the $110 RX 460 is 20% stronger than the PS4's GPU... right? Sony could be selling the PS4S for $250 but they don't have to because XBOX no longer brings any competition to the console space.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

RolStoppable said:
Is this thread a reaction to something that Kerotan said?

Maybe   It’s me !   hahaha.     

In a year the tech would be cheaper. I say the Scorpio will be around the $399-$499. It sounds expensive now however im sure on release they will suprise everyone just like Pro did.

Eddie_Raja said:
Wow 67% of people have no idea what they are talking about. LMAO I can build a PC RIGHT NOW for $600 that matches the Scorpio specs!

In a year graphics cards (At the same price) will be 20-40% stronger than they are now, and therefore I could easily build a 6 TFLOP PC for $400.

Hey you guys do realize the $110 RX 460 is 20% stronger than the PS4's GPU... right? Sony could be selling the PS4S for $250 but they don't have to because XBOX no longer brings any competition to the console space.

Amazon says it's $140. How you can get a controller, motherboard, RAM, casing, etc, etc. for $160 more is beyond me. Sorry to break your bubble but you cannot but a more powerful gaming PC than the PS4S for $300. Or a more powerful gaming PC that the PS4P for $400.

Azzanation said:
In a year the tech would be cheaper. I say the Scorpio will be around the $399-$499. It sounds expensive now however im sure on release they will suprise everyone just like Pro did.

So, the PS4S will be $199 and the PS4P will be $299 if the Scorpio is $399?