By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NX!!! I GOT IT! Finally figured it out what the Nintendo NX is!

Tagged games:

I GOT IT! Finally figured it out what the Nintendo NX is!

Makes a lot of sense. 9 31.03%

The waiting drove you insane! 20 68.97%

Total:29
V-r0cK said:
WagnerPaiva said:

I had a PSP Go, but my ex-girlfriend took it =(

O_O How dare she!?!?! Get it back!!! (I'm serious lol)

PSP Go is my favourite console (modded of course).  One of my best memory was playing FFVII Crisis Core on the bus/school but when I get home I'd dock it and play on the big screen with a PS3 controller.  I'd love it if the NX did the same.

Oh yes, it was pretty amazing. It was a long time ago, she probably broke it with her filthy hands anyways.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:
potato_hamster said:

Source?

Wall Street Journal

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendos-new-nx-console-to-go-retro-with-videogame-cartridges-1472811942

All that says is that the cost of cartridges has gone down, not that they're at parity with blu-ray discs in terms of costs to make.

Cartridges used to cost $6-10 to make. Now they cost about a half to a third of that. Blu-rays still cost cents to make.

potato_hamster said:
The_Yoda said:

Wall Street Journal

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendos-new-nx-console-to-go-retro-with-videogame-cartridges-1472811942

All that says is that the cost of cartridges has gone down, not that they're at parity with blu-ray discs in terms of costs to make.

Cartridges used to cost $6-10 to make. Now they cost about a half to a third of that. Blu-rays still cost cents to make.

You are not incorrect, it was the most reliable thing that came up with a quick search.  What source do you have for your prices?

The_Yoda said:
potato_hamster said:

You are not incorrect, it was the most reliable thing that came up with a quick search.  What source do you have for your prices?

It's pretty well know that it costs less than 50 cents to stamp a blu-ray or any disc for that matter once the technology matures. It was a little more expensive than DVD when blu-ray was first released because it required new lines, but now that these production lines have been in place for over a decade, the price has come back down to DVD levels once more. I think the last game I worked on that came on a blu ray cost less than $3 per game to have it pressed, packaged, and boxed for retailers. I also worked on a Playstation Vita title, and one of the challenges we faced when releasing it was price point. Having those Vita cartridges made and packaged cost over $6 per game. Part of that, however, was related to the fact that PS Vita games also go in a custom sized case, which mean packaging costs were also higher compared to PS4/X1 games which use standard sized blu-ray cases.

Obviously I can't show you my sources for that, as I'm just quoting what I was told, and please feel free to try to find other sources. It actually suprised me that the difference was so high considering how much more we could charge for a X1 game vs a Vita game for example.

Now that was a few years ago, and the prices of packaiging vita games might have come down since, but I have no reason to think that a new cartridge using more storage capacity and new security measures would cost significantly less than that. If they are ROM carts that are capable of additional processing, they will obviously be even more expensive again. That being said also I don't have numbers for 3DS games, so they could be different, but I doubt it's different by that much, as a 3DS game would face the same challeneges that Vita games do.

I think everyone by now believes it will be a hybrid system, but I don't think it will be as powerful as an X1 or PS4.

I can see them releasing 2 bundles, one aimed at the console gamer and the other at the handheld / mobile gamer.

I can see the handheld being $250 and it coming with a charger, a game and Super Mario Run.

I can see the console being $399, but it having a 250GB hdd, docking station and controller.

They will probably still the docking station with the pad for $149 separately.

I can see it having NFC built in to pair with phones and maybe even the docking station.

Around the Network

But... you re just repeating what everyone else has figured out by now.

Nevertheless, welcome to the party. Have a seat. Enjoy the wait.

Hunting Season is done...