By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NX!!! I GOT IT! Finally figured it out what the Nintendo NX is!

Tagged games:

I GOT IT! Finally figured it out what the Nintendo NX is!

Makes a lot of sense. 9 31.03%

The waiting drove you insane! 20 68.97%

Total:29
COKTOE said:
Aren't optical disks still the best physical format for profit margin? Anybody?

By a large margin, yes.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:

That is my point: I do not think they are anymore. Think about USB pen drives or Vita/3DS cartridges, all this tech was not around when CDs and DVDs where all the rage.

Granted, you can produce a Bluray quicker, but to be honest I think the production on something like I mentioned above is now pretty straight forward and simple, and would ensure Nintendo has the most durable product, as disks can get damaged and things like that.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well.. A x1 and a ps4 costs $300. And they don't have screens, speakers, battery large enough for a handheld,  touch capabilities, two devices (handheld and brick thing), two gpus, technology that makes the docking stuff work, etc. Why do you think it will cost $300?

Hum. You got a point, Then 350 like the Nintendo WiiU, but even that seems to little when I think about all you said. Maybe 399.

Yea that sounds a bit more right.

But don't you think that, given the wiiU's performance considering its price point for the performance it gives, Nintendo making a device with that price point is not a wise thing for them to do?

While it is true that it will be able to do something that no other console or handheld can do, they would be relying too much on that one gimmick to sell given that unlike the 3ds/wiiU combo, they do not have a carry device they had last generation (or current generation I guess)? So if it doesn't do well, they will lose quite a bit of money for the next 5 years.

Where as, if it is just a handheld with a docking station to plug into the TV with no extra gpu horsepower, it can cost around $200 which is in the impulse buy range and still have the same gimmick. Yea the ps4 horsepower isn't there but last time they relied on western third parties, they kinda got goofed cause the third parties didn't like the sales. (For better or for worse)

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

potato_hamster said:
COKTOE said:

By a large margin, yes.

Even if you think about a Vita or 3DS midia? On a N64 cartridge or SNES, sure, but these devices nowadays seem much simpler and the tech is much better.

I am thinking about USB drives. I buy them for 2 or 3 dollars, just bought a 64GB for 6 bucks.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
COKTOE said:

That is my point: I do not think they are anymore. Think about USB pen drives or Vita/3DS cartridges, all this tech was not around when CDs and DVDs where all the rage.

Granted, you can produce a Bluray quicker, but to be honest I think the production on something like I mentioned above is now pretty straight forward and simple, and would ensure Nintendo has the most durable product, as disks can get damaged and things like that.

I think disks are still cheaper sir, and potato hamster agrees. At any rate, I hope your Eshop prediction comes to pass. Would be a nice treat for fans of retro games.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

But don't you think that, given the wiiU's performance considering its price point for the performance it gives, Nintendo making a device with that price point is not a wise thing for them to do?

While it is true that it will be able to do something that no other console or handheld can do, they are relying too much on that one gimmick to sell given that unlike the 3ds/wiiU combo, they do not have a carry device they had last generation (or current generation I guess)? So if it doesn't do well, they will lose quite a bit of money for the next 5 years.

Where as, if it is just a handheld with a docking station to plug into the TV with no extra gpu horsepower, it can cost around $200 which is in the impulse buy range and still have the same gimmick. Yea the ps4 horsepower isn't there but last time they relied on western third parties, they kinda got goofed cause the third parties didn't like the sales. (For better or for worse)

Yes. 

My whole theory is based on this: Nintendo is thinking the loyal 3DS fan base will embrace this thing, plus the WiiU crazies like you and me, which, as I said would grant them 50 million users in a total failure situation.

So, yes, I am saying they will drop support for the 3DS in the long run, and for now their handheld and console lines will be one and the same.

They will cut costs in marketing and manufacturing by supporting only one system and the cartridges grant them a larger margin than the disks.

Take this out of the equation and my whole thesis fall appart.

WagnerPaiva said:
Captain_Yuri said:

While it is true that it will be able to do something that no other console or handheld can do, they are relying too much on that one gimmick to sell given that unlike the 3ds/wiiU combo, they do not have a carry device they had last generation (or current generation I guess)? So if it doesn't do well, they will lose quite a bit of money for the next 5 years.

Yes. 

My whole theory is based on this: Nintendo is thinking the loyal 3DS fan base will embrace this thing, plus the WiiU crazies like you and me, which, as I said would grant them 50 million users in a total failure situation.

So, yes, I am saying they will drop support for the 3DS in the long run, and for now their handheld and console lines will be one and the same.

They will cut costs in marketing and manufacturing by supporting only one system and the cartridges grant them a larger margin than the disks.

Take this out of the equation and my whole thesis fall appart.

That sure is one hell of a gamble if its true. Gamble for the ages some might say.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Mar1217 said:
Just a prediction thread, nothing to see here !

Well, there is a prediction to see. Which is more than nothing =)

Remember back in the day when Iwata talked about a unified system, handheld and console? Well, the NX is the next step in handheld, the next Nintendo handheld. It is also the next console.

Not exactly a new theory concerning the NX.

Ps4 graphics, which means that all third party the Ps4 has, the NX will also have.

Wouldn't hold my breath.

Want to play Modern Warfare on the go? Maybe Fallout 4? It will be the same stuff you play on the TV, you can even multiplayer with people playing on the TV, not a problem whatsoever.

You seem to have very high hopes for Tegra X2 or whatever mobile chip will power this thing, to say nothing of ease of porting.

if the loyal fanbase from 3DS is around 40 million users, you bet Nintendo can count with that for the NX

Assuming that a market that bought a cheap handheld small enough for a pocket will be won over by a console that will likely be neither.

So, if the NX is a total failure, it still has at least 50 million user base.

That's not how failures work.

TallSilhouette said:

Remember back in the day when Iwata talked about a unified system, handheld and console? Well, the NX is the next step in handheld, the next Nintendo handheld. It is also the next console.

Not exactly a new theory concerning the NX.

Ps4 graphics, which means that all third party the Ps4 has, the NX will also have.

Wouldn't hold my breath.

Want to play Modern Warfare on the go? Maybe Fallout 4? It will be the same stuff you play on the TV, you can even multiplayer with people playing on the TV, not a problem whatsoever.

You seem to have very high hopes for Tegra X2 or whatever mobile chip will power this thing, to say nothing of ease of porting.

if the loyal fanbase from 3DS is around 40 million users, you bet Nintendo can count with that for the NX

Assuming that a market that bought a cheap handheld small enough for a pocket will be won over by a console that will likely be neither.

So, if the NX is a total failure, it still has at least 50 million user base.

That's not how failures work.

Good points on the hardware. I still think the brick with extra power will be a thing and there will not be porting involved. I am thinking something like the Supergameboy device, get it? The brick just makes the games have all the extra cool stuff, but the game is basically the same.

On the failure thing, I am thinking about the LOYAL handheld fanbase, not people like me, that bought the thing and then gave it to my niece because I hated.

I am thinking about the WiiU, a bonafide failure, but with 13 million user base, so what would the bonafide failure userbase of this thing be?

I think that at least half of the WiiU and half of the DS/3DS base, which I think is around 50 million total, plus some curious consumers caus the thing does sound interesting.

So, unifying the fans from handheld and console and offering a interesting new way to play Nintendo could cut not only costs, but also risk.

This is the theory, Of course I can be wrong.

About the Tegra thing, my thesis is that the whole thing is a very customized system that takes away from the dev any responsability for porting, much like the SuperGameBoy. They make the game and the thing just works.