Soul Caliber 58 33.14%

Shenmue I/II 78 44.57%

Sonic Adventure 1/2 13 7.43%

Ecco the Dolphin 7 4.00%

Resident Evil Code Veronica 11 6.29%

Other 8 4.57%

Total:175
AZWification said:

Easily Shenmue 2. It must have been amazing to play such a game when it first came out.

I recently played through Shenmue 2 on Xbox and boy that game hasnt aged particularly well. But for a game doing so much, its pretty impressive.

On a side note, I didnt notice people mentioning sports games. The sports games on Dreamcast were cutting edge stuff. I remember people were having their mind blown by the detail in the textures, those little ripples on the jerseys. The athletes actually looking like people! The crowd not just being a bunch of pixelated colors.

With that said, games like NBA 2k, Nkfl 2k, and Virtua Tennis looked pretty stunning when I first sawt them.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Where is Jet Set Radio?

For level of detail, realism and hardware demanding graphics the winner is Shenmue obviously.

But Jet Set Radio had the most memorable artstyle, and it has aged well.

I thought Metropolis Street Racer was impressive visually but have to agree DOA2 needs to be in the vote. I think in Japan there was a later enhanced version on Dreamcast or perhaps I'm remembering wrongly. Certainly a very beautiful game that wouldn't look out of place on more capable hardware like the original xbox or gamecube.

Shenmue I and II were amazing visually too especially I remember looking into the pond to see the fish just outside the family house. So amazing at the time. A real virtual world. I'm trying to remember one of the stand out moments visually of Shenmue II and I guess that's the beginning as you get close to hong kong.I loved the way they prioritised face detail over general scenery.

Mr Puggsly said:
AZWification said:

Easily Shenmue 2. It must have been amazing to play such a game when it first came out.

I recently played through Shenmue 2 on Xbox and boy that game hasnt aged particularly well. But for a game doing so much, its pretty impressive.

On a side note, I didnt notice people mentioning sports games. The sports games on Dreamcast were cutting edge stuff. I remember people were having their mind blown by the detail in the textures, those little ripples on the jerseys. The athletes actually looking like people! The crowd not just being a bunch of pixelated colors.

With that said, games like NBA 2k, Nkfl 2k, and Virtua Tennis looked pretty stunning when I first sawt them.

This is definitely true. I actually remember one of the last (if not the last) Dreamcast games released in NA was NHL 2KWhatever, and that game blew me away compared to what I was familiar with seeing in sports games at the time.

Not sure how well it's aged or anything, though.

Soul Calibur. No others games since have made me such an impression. And it still looks good today

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
archbrix said:

My vote goes to Soul Calibur because it was a visually stunning launch game and actually looked much better on Dreamcast than the arcade did.

The arcade version was virtually PS1 hardware, so that ain't saying much.

The Dreamcast version seems to be a remake.

I know that Namco took the time to re-do the graphics to take advantage of Dreamcast's power.  Kudos to them for that because the result was possibly the best looking launch game ever for a console:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ2MbdXynfI

Oh wow, you put Ecco in the poll. I was actually thinking of that game, but I never thought it would be a serious answer, haha. I really did like that game, and looked pretty dang good. Sonic Adventure 2 is pretty good visual wise too.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Ecco is a game I still fínd to be so beautiful to this day. The water effects are fantastic and draw distance is kind of great.

curl-6 said:
COKTOE said:

I voted Soul Caliber. Shenmue....so hard to play. I can only imagine how poorly those terrible, TERRIBLE controls have aged. Sorry. Not a fan. Those controls alone.....

Well, it's best graphics, not best game. :P

Yes, of course. Just need to take a dig at Shenmue every once and a while. Or as I like to call it, as of right this very moment, Shitty Yakuza. Several honorable mentions for the DC in the graphics department. Most have been brought up already.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I have no idea what soul caliber is, so I voted other, because I think soul calibur is the best