By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4Pro was made to compete with PC - Sony Exec.

Tagged games:

eva01beserk said:
Game_God said:

The only argument Sony provided is "look power & kinda 4K", which can even compete with PC, if you had the other benefits of PC, I can only laugh at comedy PR saying "we compete with PC", if you want I can indulge you, yes Sony is competing with PC & they are losing on all fronts!!!

they are? really? I could have sworn that ps4 has kepted selling way more than pc parts do, also I could have sworn that games make most of their profits on consoles(ps4 the most). I also thought the price to performance is also way in favor to the ps4. Or is loosing on all front only mean what you value like raw power? Something only a handfull of rigs can actually do. Cuz if so, the regular ps4 matches the majority of pc gamers acording to steam. WHy dont you tell me theese fronts you speak off.

We are speaking of technical aspects in case you didn't notice...

Let's compare a Ferrari & a FIAT 500, which is the better car??? Or the FIAT 500 is a better car because it's cheaper & sells more???

Kudos to you/s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

Around the Network
ICStats said:
eva01beserk said:

they are? really? I could have sworn that ps4 has kepted selling way more than pc parts do, also I could have sworn that games make most of their profits on consoles(ps4 the most). I also thought the price to performance is also way in favor to the ps4. Or is loosing on all front only mean what you value like raw power? Something only a handfull of rigs can actually do. Cuz if so, the regular ps4 matches the majority of pc gamers acording to steam. WHy dont you tell me theese fronts you speak off.

PC has just been doing too much winnning.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/sales-of-desktop-graphics-cards-hit-10-year-low-in-q2-2015/

"Shipments of discrete graphics adapters for desktops dropped to 9.4 million units in Q2 2015, which is minimum amount in more than ten years. According to JPR, sales of graphics cards dropped 16.81 per cent compared to the previous quarter, whereas sales of desktop PCs decreased 14.77 per cent. The attach rate of add-in graphics boards (AIBs) to desktop PCs has declined from a high of 63 per cent in Q1 2008 to 37 per cent this quarter. Average sales of graphics cards have been around 15 million units per quarter in the recent years, but declined sharply in 2014."

Huh, you don't suppose that the launch of PS4 and XB1 at the end of 2013 could have contributed to the decline from 15 million units to 9.4 million units per quarter?

See my response above...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

ICStats said:
eva01beserk said:

PC has just been doing too much winnning.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/sales-of-desktop-graphics-cards-hit-10-year-low-in-q2-2015/

"Shipments of discrete graphics adapters for desktops dropped to 9.4 million units in Q2 2015, which is minimum amount in more than ten years. According to JPR, sales of graphics cards dropped 16.81 per cent compared to the previous quarter, whereas sales of desktop PCs decreased 14.77 per cent. The attach rate of add-in graphics boards (AIBs) to desktop PCs has declined from a high of 63 per cent in Q1 2008 to 37 per cent this quarter. Average sales of graphics cards have been around 15 million units per quarter in the recent years, but declined sharply in 2014."

Huh, you don't suppose that the launch of PS4 and XB1 at the end of 2013 could have contributed to the decline from 15 million units to 9.4 million units per quarter?

The decline of add-in graphic boards over the last years has more to do with the integrated GPUs in modern CPUs, which have become "good enough" for many tasks (office work, less demanding games, youtube...).

5 - 8 years ago, even most office PCs had an entry-level AIB like a Geforce 510, 520 or 530, because the CPU had no GPU-functions or they were shit. Today most graphic cards are bigger than whole office PCs attached to a monitor.

There ain't no entry-models like a GeForce 910, 920, 930 or 1010, 1020, 1030 because these GPUs wouldn't make much sense if they are slower than the i3 or i5 CPU. The smallest Maxwell chip was a GM107 (GTX 745, 750 + 750 Ti).

ohmylanta1003 said:
Bandorr said:

Consoles have been around for almost 50 years.. and you are sitll wondering why they are around? That seems.. awkward.

Awkward is definitely not the right word there. Lol. And I just don't understand why so many people still buy consoles. It's clearly because they are easier to buy, easier to use, and cheaper than PCs. I don't get what the 50 years stat has to do with anything.

It does have to do with everything. It just shows your lack of understanding of the market. Just because you feel a certain way about consoles/pcs, it doesn't mean that that's the case for the average gamer. There's still a huge market for consoles and people who have pcs with better specs than consoles are in the minority.

mutantsushi said:

He says:
“I saw some data that really influenced me,” he explained. “It suggested that there’s a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that’s obviously where it’s to be had.
"We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]. So the net result of those thoughts was PlayStation 4 Pro – and, by and large, a graphical approach to game improvement.”

So you want to believe "those people" has nothing do with the mid-cycle dip he discusses? Why does he lead with the dip then?
I mean, as he spells out, this strategy was a result of looking at sales data, seeing a dip mid-console lifecycle.
You want to extract some wording from the context of mid-cycle dip, when the dip in data was exactly the starting point.
"Keeping those people" they lose in the dip means the people they potentially "had" at the start of the gen.
Not attracting people they never had at the start of the gen.    You can't keep what you never had.
Those people were never in their eco-system, and thus would never affect any "dip".

But hey, if it's not your responsibility to want/try to understand the speaker, so you win, I guess.

Dude, you're doing it worng. You're supposed to read the headline and not bother with what he actually said. I mean, do you even internet? (/s)

But in all seriousness, it's nice to see that some people actually read the OP rather than use a sentence out of context just to attack a company they clearly don't like as their posting history clearly shows.

Around the Network
Conina said:

The decline of add-in graphic boards over the last years has more to do with the integrated GPUs in modern CPUs, which have become "good enough" for many tasks (office work, less demanding games, youtube...).

We cannot forget that a large portion of that drop was because performance and price hadn't really shifted greatly for years thanks to the constant rebadged/rebranding by AMD and nVidia.

Many Enthusiasts (Myself included) were also waiting for 16nm/14nm chips to land before upgrading.

I think a better look at the market will be once Vega drops and AMD's 400 series lineup is completed, both companies have likely seen a big sales uptick with this cycle though, for weeks a few Australian stores were sold out of Pascal and Polaris based cards.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Made to compete with PC? hmm okay, I guess mod support, unlock hardware and free online incoming to PS4 Pro

User was warned for this post ~ CGI

Azzanation said:
Made to compete with PC? hmm okay, I guess mod support, unlock hardware and free online incoming to PS4 Pro

Yes, Sony if anything made themselves a great compliment to the PC. Playstation has always been a great compliment to PC and Sony is driving that home further. If they want to compete with PC, they should've had mods and 1080p 60FPS  gaming as the first step before event delving into 4k. Not having a 4k player and having it shoved in your face by your biggest competitor must hurt. Having a premium console, isnt supposed to be affordable for all, but rather for the enthusiast that finds to funds to attain it in the same vein as the PS3's $600 price tag. As a secondary console, its less of a risk, but only as long as there is an affordable baseline model. There is no competition with PC with sony. At this point their attempt looks like one person punching air.

Game_God said:
eva01beserk said:

We are speaking of technical aspects in case you didn't notice...

Let's compare a Ferrari & a FIAT 500, which is the better car??? Or the FIAT 500 is a better car because it's cheaper & sells more???

Kudos to you/s

Ok then lets use your own examle.

Who am I trying to sell the fiat to? You think that if you can aford a ferrry you would eveen look at a fiat? No you would not, cuz most peoples range is the fiat and this is the market that migrates or that they are targeting and not thehandfull of elites, so yea the fiat its competing and wining by the way to its real competition, the fords and toyotas out there.

EDIT: I have no clue about cars, just threw thouse names in.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Chazore said:
ICStats said:

I think he meant, it was odd that I pulled the article up now when the PS4P was announced.

It has nothing to do with PS4P... and I don't think it was odd in the context as someone said: "PS4 & PC are competing, and PS4 is losing".

If it absolutely nothing to do with the PS4P topic then why is it even added to this thread in the first place?. What has been talked of in this thread is the price of PS4P, the price of a PC rig (the silly high end ones that are somehow always tossed in) and the "prevention of migration" towards PC gaming. People have talked about GPU prices in regard to the PS4P as well as the number of users that would have a certain model of GPU. Your article talks of a delcine in sales for GPU's in 2014 and prior, you then added the current iterations of 8th gen systems but the subject of that article and your "migration" focus compare with how House was going on about preventing migration from PS4 to PC over the gen.

Do you think there will be a severe decline in those wanting to game on PC, if so then what happens next to that market in general?.

I know that this has beenn answerd already, but I would just like to say that this waas so notisable last gen cuz it lasted so long. After mid gen there where lots of pc's that could beat the consoles and it got better and better whyle gen 8 took forever to start. lots of people just could not wait. This was a resonable solution and would kep thouse who canot wait holding on to the playstation brand a bit longer and increasing their librarys giving them more reason to stay with play station or on just consoles. 

The charts that icstat brought up made total sense with what andrew house said, its not gona compete with high end users but with the mjority of budget gaming pcs who where about to get competitive after all theese new gpus and cpus launched, some havent launched yet, but they promised to be better.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.