By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4Pro was made to compete with PC - Sony Exec.

Tagged games:

Azuren said:
Hynad said:

Finally a comment from a PC enthusiast that doesn't react to all this as if it was an attack to PC gaming.

Sorry Chazore. =P

In this forum, it's difficult to sift through the "attacks" and the "musings".

On one hand, you have people asking questions or trying to make legitimate points without detracting from the other side.

And on the other, you have hateful people who do nothing but try to take away from other platforms using trollbait and lies.

Pemalite has a refreshing take, as he addresses everything with calm, objective rationale. He may be a PC gamer and proud of it, but that doesn't mean that the PS4 or XB1 suck to him. Most others on the forum automatically take up a defensive stance: myself included.

He's the most tech savvy guy around when it comes to hardware related stuff. And I like when someone comments without coming off as overly biased.

Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, they say. ^_-

Around the Network
ICStats said:

I think it's pretty interesting to look at some historical data to understand this, rather than just give opinions.

Analyzing the state of PC gaming market isn't simple.  As you probably know, total PC sales are shrinking.  Also total GPU sales have dropped almost 50% in 3 years.  However, the PC gaming market is increasing.

PC Enthusiast market is the best growth sector with a continuous increase in sales.  This sector is apparently over 21 Million people as of 2015.

What do you think?  Sony may be right about this migration?  I'm sure they have lots of data, from publishers and so on about sales trends on PC and ofcourse on PS4.

These graphs would correlate with these assumptions:
 - PC Enthusiasts wouldn't care about consoles and not affected by PS4 launch
 - PC Performance levels users would initially think PS4 was quite good but over time would start being attracted back to higher PC quality within their budget.
 - PC Mainstream level users would be happy with PS4 for longer.

You're asking for my opinon rather than going with one of your own?. You said at the start that it's more interesting to look at the charts than to go just give your opinion, then go on to ask me for one.

Should we now be splitting the PC market into two parts with their own userbase count from now on?, what with the side that's supposedly to migrate back to *a* console versus the side that won't?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
ICStats said:

I think it's pretty interesting to look at some historical data to understand this, rather than just give opinions.

Analyzing the state of PC gaming market isn't simple.  As you probably know, total PC sales are shrinking.  Also total GPU sales have dropped almost 50% in 3 years.  However, the PC gaming market is increasing.

PC Enthusiast market is the best growth sector with a continuous increase in sales.  This sector is apparently over 21 Million people as of 2015.

What do you think?  Sony may be right about this migration?  I'm sure they have lots of data, from publishers and so on about sales trends on PC and ofcourse on PS4.

- PC Performance levels users would initially think PS4 was quite good but over time would start being attracted back to higher PC quality within their budget.

You're asking for my opinon rather than going with one of your own?. You said at the start that it's more interesting to look at the charts than to go just give your opinion, then go on to ask me for one.

Should we now be splitting the PC market into two parts with their own userbase count from now on?, what with the side that's supposedly to migrate back to *a* console versus the side that won't?.

Well, he did say "rather than give", implying one is just giving their opinion everywhere... but I suppose the situation has changed when that opinion is asked for, likely since it is to start a dialogue.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Chazore said:
ICStats said:

WTH implies that we should do something like that?

There's a hundred million people that do different things, so should we split the numbers a hundred million parts?  Don't answer that.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:

There's a hundred million people that do different things, so should we split the numbers a hundred million parts?  Don't answer that.

You just showed a split number from the total amount of suers that game on PC as enthusiast, I was asking if we should keep them split as such from now on in order to identiy which group within that platform (because we have the high end users versus the medium and low end) will move back to consoles.

We have casual and hardcore gamers, we always end up splitting those two apart, why should the low end from the high end be any different?. Especially with the talks we have now on how low end users could migrate back to consoles.

I am simply asking, should we?.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Around the Network
Chazore said:
ICStats said:

You just showed a split number from the total amount of suers that game on PC as enthusiast, I was asking if we should keep them split as such from now on in order to identiy which group within that platform (because we have the high end users versus the medium and low end) will move back to consoles.

We have casual and hardcore gamers, we always end up splitting those two apart, why should the low end from the high end be any different?. Especially with the talks we have now on how low end users could migrate back to consoles.

We grant the defendants each a $5 Steam card.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Chazore said:
ICStats said:

The company that tracks these stats does split them in 3 and offers analysis of each group.  For example they estimate that the Performance budget group will get a big boost next year as 4K capable GPUs enter their budget range.

Yes, we should split these groups for purpose of analysis, and when making broad claims about PC gamers.

Edit: Here's their breakdown

Enthusiast 16.4 Million (3%)
Performance 60 Million (11%)
Mainstream 481 Million (86%)

http://jonpeddie.com/publications/pc_gaming_hardware_market_report

My 8th gen collection

Lawlight said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
LOL While doing that Sony opened for the door for Microsoft to 1up them on the way to trying to stop their gamers from jumping ship to PC. There is no stopping that. Ill be picking up the scorpio.

How is MS 1uping them?

Microsoft has always been lurking, paying close attention to what Sony does. Microsoft hates to be inferior to Sony in power which is why they rushed to fix their clock speed of the Xbox One, post PS4 reveal in February of 2014. They learned that you don't leave any stone unturned with Sony as they are a dominant company and any leaks could be used to your advantage. As we learned of the PS4 pros existence, Microsoft quickly revealed they would follow suit to compete. Does Microsoft need to make a 4k console? No. They tried to kill Blu Ray as a matter of fact, but they cannot stop a trend. They built in HDR and 4k Blu Ray players into  the "S" Model of the Xbox One to follow the trend, but also give the most accurate baseline Xbox One experience without increasing the hardware completely (as you can see, Sony did nothing with their slimline outside of make it more energy efficient). Microsoft basically sold the ideal home with their latest tweet that the PS4 pro's only real perk over the S model Xbox One is having 4.2 TFLOPs.

As you can see here they were ready for Sony's reveal and responded rather quickly. The S model has to true 4k experience and the saddest part of it all is that its Sony's baby. Its going to driven harder into everyones memory banks once the Pro is released.

Lastly, a console that is meant for a minority of gamers should not be gimped (even though it is understood that Sony wants to keep the community together in 30fps hell).This had me questioning whether the PS4 Pro is even capable of 60 fps at 1080p locked in the first place. Tomb Raider cannot even accomplish this.

ICStats said:

The company that tracks these stats does split them in 3 and offers analysis of each group.  For example they estimate that the Performance budget group will get a big boost next year as 4K capable GPUs enter their budget range.

Yes, we should split these groups for purpose of analysis, and when making broad claims about PC gamers.

Edit: Here's their breakdown

Enthusiast 16.4 Million (3%)
Performance 60 Million (11%)
Mainstream 481 Million (86%)

http://jonpeddie.com/publications/pc_gaming_hardware_market_report

There we go, we now even have 3 groups. Splitting them up makes the migration movement that much easier to spot who has moved and who hasn't. When the bigger number has shifts within the next 3 years, we'll be able to determine and conclude what happens to that market by then (because the 3% let alone 11 won't do zip).

Goatseye said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
LOL While doing that Sony opened for the door for Microsoft to 1up them on the way to trying to stop their gamers from jumping ship to PC. There is no stopping that. Ill be picking up the scorpio.

Dude, where have you been? I haven't been having much arguments since you disappeared behind VGC scene.

There's not that much interesting people to hate on... anyway, gimme your opinion on this whole mid gen refresh debacle.

LOL Lots of work is keeping me at bay. LOL Sooner or later i'll stop by for a couple hours and trigger something. ;) haha

My opinion was that the pro should've been exactly what is was meant to be, which is a console which catered to seasoned console gamers whom were on the verge of jumping ship to PC. A reason to stay, if you will. Sony did not create that...but they did create a powerful console for playing single player and watching HD Netflix programming. The Scorpio will most likely be that make great use of multiple settings and allow gamers to play in a more brilliant 4k, whilst allowing me to build up my 4k blu ray collection. I will probably get the pro, but the Xbox Scorpio will be my manditory multiplat console of choice. There is no way in hell multiplats will look or play better resolution and framerate-wise on the Pro unless the scorpio had some hidden bottleneck like the PS3 did (Cell processor and the CPU and GPU sharing power).