By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4Pro was made to compete with PC - Sony Exec.

Tagged games:

Sony appears to have no plans to introduce a further upgrade to its PS4 hardware in the near future, according to new comments from the company.

Speaking to The Guardian, head of Sony Interactive Entertainment, Andrew House said: “We think that for a really substantial period of time [the PS4, PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro are] the PlayStation 4 lineup. We’re very comfortable with that.”

Some have questioned whether Sony and Microsoft - which will release the Xbox One upgrade, Project Scorpio next year - are moving towards something akin to an "Apple model" of regular upgrades to a base design.

Sony has previously said that the Pro is "not the start of a new console generation, nor is it a console that's going to blur the lines between generations".

House also explained that the Pro has been designed, in part, to provide competition with the PC, as opposed to its direct console rivals.

“I saw some data that really influenced me,” he explained. “It suggested that there’s a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that’s obviously where it’s to be had.

"We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]. So the net result of those thoughts was PlayStation 4 Pro – and, by and large, a graphical approach to game improvement.”

The PS4 Pro will feature a boosted CPU clock rate, a 1 terabyte hard drive, and more than double the power of the PS4 GPU, as well as supporting HDR and 4K game output. It won't, however, play 4K Blu-Rays.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09/09/playstation-4-pro-will-be-the-last-ps4-edition-for-substantial-period-of-time

Interesting point of view. 

Around the Network

"We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]"

By using a mid ranged 2016 GPU with a weak sauce CPU? Where the gamers have to choose between visuals or performance? While not allowing Mod Support?

Good Luck lawl

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Why would this guy admit that now?

"reads title"

Captain_Yuri said:

"We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]"

By using a mid ranged 2016 GPU with a weak sauce CPU? Where the gamers have to choose between visuals or performance? While not allowing Mod Support?

Good Luck lawl

4 the players though! =D.

If they wanted to make it the ebst then they should have gone with the ebst. Also full mod support and free online would have helped but apparently that's not good enough, even for rock solid 60fps either.

End of the day I find it amusing how some fans claim that Sony never saw the platform as a form of direct competition and here we are seeing the company going with"we don't like people playing on PC, we want them locked inside our garden that we own and control".

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Not sure what people's issue is. It's an upgraded option. Meant to compete better with pC, not to be at par with the best ones. Of course Sony have to say otherwise but that is marketing.

Hope Xbox fans don't think Scorpio will be as good as the best PCs either. Will be interesting to see what is said then.

My brain...has officially gone on vacation.

Well duh. It's certainly not designed to compete with any console.

It's currently easily the best choice a PC gamer has for consoles.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It was made to compete with PC but yet it won't have mod support.

Also no console will ever be able to compete with PC anyway.

Huh, I don't understand why people find this statement so funny, it makes perfect sense.

Towards the end of last generation I was doing a lot more PC gaming even though I prefer consoles, because the ageing ps3 just didn't cut it anymore.