By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would it make sense for Sony to add an UHD drive in 12 months?

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Maybe, but they are leading the push into and for some reason felt no need to give people ability to watch 4K movies discs. Its just an odd move nobody predicted.

Also, I think the new drive helps future proof the Scorpio. The next consoles/upgrades will probably use the UHD drive.

Last gen Sony were the reason hddvd became obsolete.  And blu ray took over.  

Wouldn't it be funny if this gen they put a nail in uhd Blu-rays coffin and were a big player in pushing 4k streaming.  

Blu ray standard still has a long future though and the ps4 slim and pro featuring a regular bluray drive will enable that to continue its growth.  Which let's be honest it needs it.  It hasnt even beaten the dvd yet. The last thing we need is 3 movie formats.  

We live in a world with countless streaming services on our consoles. People can handle DVD, Bluray, and 4K Bluray. Ya know 4K, that thing Sony says over and over in regard to PS4 Pro.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I think Sony are set up fine for the rest of the generation. They have their cheaper offer, they have the upgraded mid-gen model, they have PSVR. Having the weaker console for the last two years of the gen isn't going to make a difference at that stage in any significant way, and any more tampering will just annoy people.

Not worth the bother for me

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

They can just say it as it is and say the price of one has come down.  Anyone who decided to get a scorpio over neo just for this feature could then get the neo as it would be cheaper.  

Again we're only talking a small percentage of people here but if ain't going to cost them much then why not. 

Ps4 is going to be over 70m come end of next year and xbox will be nowhere near that.  This thing isn't relevant in thr outcome of the gen.  It's just 1 little detail.  

Sony has made all the right moves this gen including leaving the UHD drive out.  If the price is much lower come 12 months I'd say it's the right decision to include it. 

They can say "we cheaped out last year on UHD, but maybe give us more money for the new model that simply adds UHD because we fear you might buy a Scorpio."

They cant do that or even give the impression. It would look bad and there would be backlash.

Look, your OP suggested a NEW PS4 with UHD to take an advantage from Scorpio. Im explaining why its a bad move and would hurt Sony. Its also reactive and Sony says they arent reactive. What Im saying is accurate so now youre trying to turn this into a sales argument. Sony is in a good position but they can still piss off their fans.

Of course they can say that.  It's a business they're running.  They just tell the truth.  UHD was way too niche and expensive.  If the price drops rapidly in 12 months they can say it's still very niche but it's not too pricy so we're adding it in.  

If they can take the backlash which much of is faux outrage they can take the lesser backlash adding it in will take.  It really is a niche requirement but there's a loud and vocal minority who will be silenced with it's inclusion.  

maybe in a cheaper redesign in 24 months...

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

They can say "we cheaped out last year on UHD, but maybe give us more money for the new model that simply adds UHD because we fear you might buy a Scorpio."

They cant do that or even give the impression. It would look bad and there would be backlash.

Look, your OP suggested a NEW PS4 with UHD to take an advantage from Scorpio. Im explaining why its a bad move and would hurt Sony. Its also reactive and Sony says they arent reactive. What Im saying is accurate so now youre trying to turn this into a sales argument. Sony is in a good position but they can still piss off their fans.

Of course they can say that.  It's a business they're running.  They just tell the truth.  UHD was way too niche and expensive.  If the price drops rapidly in 12 months they can say it's still very niche but it's not too pricy so we're adding it in.  

If they can take the backlash which much of is faux outrage they can take the lesser backlash adding it in will take.  It really is a niche requirement but there's a loud and vocal minority who will be silenced with it's inclusion.  

Hah, thats a quick way to appear anti consumer.

Its not niche and expensive, if so X1 S wouldnt do it for $299 so people wouldnt believe Sony.

Anywho, let me end this discussion. A new PS4 simply to add UHD would look very bad for Sony. Therefore they may just wait for PS5.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Its not niche and expensive, if so X1 S wouldnt do it for $299 so people wouldnt believe Sony.

Anywho, let me end this discussion. A new PS4 simply to add UHD would look very bad for Sony. Therefore they may just wait for PS5.

If it costs them 15-20$ more per console it is expensive because that adds up to hundreds of millions in lost profits.  Not worth it for a super niche industry.  

They won't look bad or good.  They'll simply just be adding in an extra feature.  They did this with the ps3. 

Waiting until ps5 is an option but by then 4k bluray might clearly have no future so they could leave it out still.  Unless the cost of the drive is practiically the same as the regular bluray.  Which is my point in this thread.  

If it ain't costing much in 12 months.  Might aswell just throw it in. 

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If it costs them 15-20$ more per console it is expensive because that adds up to hundreds of millions in lost profits.  Not worth it for a super niche industry.  

They won't look bad or good.  They'll simply just be adding in an extra feature.  They did this with the ps3. 

Waiting until ps5 is an option but by then 4k bluray might clearly have no future so they could leave it out still.  Unless the cost of the drive is practiically the same as the regular bluray.  Which is my point in this thread.  

It would be less niche if every PS4 Pro owner UHD. Thats how other formats got off the ground, being in consoles.

No, Sony would look bad putting out a new model just a year later. Also, Sony said the next upgrade would be a completely new console. Its also reactive to Xbox. Basically you want them to go against what they boast about. Again, they may wait  a PS4 Pro Slim if they ever add UHD.

UHD drives also have increased storage capacity. So the next consoles will likely use them given they will also be cheap.

Recently Completed

So, Kerotan, are we going to get your substantiation of price difference, or are we going to grow old waiting?
It's a pretty basic request assuming you expect to be taken seriously and treated as having an honest discussion.
If it does cost $50 more, the implications of that are pretty significant, don't you think?
Either MS is now subsidizing Xbone Slim to the tune of $50/unit, or Sony will now make at least $50 profit/unit with Slim.

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

It would be less niche if every PS4 Pro owner UHD. Thats how other formats got off the ground, being in consoles.

No, Sony would look bad putting out a new model just a year later. Also, Sony said the next upgrade would be a completely new console. Its also reactive to Xbox. Basically you want them to go against what they boast about. Again, they may wait  a PS4 Pro Slim if they ever add UHD.

UHD drives also have increased storage capacity. So the next consoles will likely use them given they will also be cheap.

I'm a gamer who hasn't bought a standard blu ray in years.  I'm glad they put people like me first.  

#4theplayers is why they're dominating the market not #4theblurayplayers.  

They'll look bad to a select few but like this week's meltdown the general market won't care and it will be just another feature on the ps4 to buy.  

Whether Sony include a uhd player or not that market ain't catching on anytime soon.  They single handedly pulled the blu ray market to relevance last gen.  At great financial cost.  I think it's Microsofts turn to do the same this gen.  Good luck to them.  Because it ain't going to be easy. 

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm a gamer who hasn't bought a standard blu ray in years.  I'm glad they put people like me first.  

#4theplayers is why they're dominating the market not #4theblurayplayers.  

They'll look bad to a select few but like this week's meltdown the general market won't care and it will be just another feature on the ps4 to buy.  

Whether Sony include a uhd player or not that market ain't catching on anytime soon.  They single handedly pulled the blu ray market to relevance last gen.  At great financial cost.  I think it's Microsofts turn to do the same this gen.  Good luck to them.  Because it ain't going to be easy. 

Ha, Microsoft has no stake in making 4k UHD discs succesful, it's just for marketing. MS doesn't make movies nor tvs nor standalone players, yet they couldn't wait to tout "Cheapest 4K UHD player, only console with 4K UHD player" right after the Neo reveal.

Meanwhile XBox One S doesn't have a secondary HDMI out for sound, meaning if you use a receiver that's not hdmi 2.0 compatible (very likely if you didn't buy one recently) you'll have to dig out the old optical cables and go back to lossy surround sound with that 4K image. Plus pairing it with an HDR tv to get it to actually show HDR doesn't seem all that easy according to reviews, and it doesn't support DTS:X nor Dolby Atmos. It also runs through a seperate app you have to download first, I guess a cost saver as MS will only have to pay 4k blu-ray license fees for the app downloads, not all machines sold.

Yet that all doesn't matter, it will look great once you have it set up correctly. But a vested interest in 4K blu-ray, MS has not. I wonder if there will be a noticeable up tick in 4k blu-ray sales now the XBox One S is out. Last gen Sony was selling cheap blu-rays as well to compete with hd-dvd, while MS bundled 10 movies with their hd-dvd add-on at some point. No such luck this time, I can't find any deals on 4K blu-rays.