By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would it make sense for Sony to add an UHD drive in 12 months?

Mr Puggsly said:

Sony could probably afford to lose money on PS4 hardware, I just don't think that's something they wanna do. They apparently didn't even want to pay for UHD support.

Again, there would be more UHD disc support if more popular devices supported them. A lot of people I talk to only have Bluray players becuase of a game console.

I'm not saying UHD support is game changer or anything, but PS4 not supporting seems like an odd move for a device pushing 4K. Few games will actually be 4K, many users may not have the speed or bandwidth caps for watching 4K video steaming, so UHD discs would be ideal for those who want the 4K experience.

True, the ps3 quickly turned the blu-ray  hd-dvd format war around. People did get curious about blu-ray after getting a blu-ray player with the ps3.

https://www.engadget.com/2008/02/20/two-years-of-battle-between-hd-dvd-and-blu-ray-a-retrospective/
In retrospect, it was the PS3 and its owners who won the war for Blu-ray. Despite what many believed, PS3 owners were buying Blu-ray movies and although it was a small fraction, it was enough to convince the studios Blu-ray had the most potential to be the next physical format

However it was a game changer for the movie market, not for game consoles. The ps3 outsold the 360 hd-dvd add-on 5 to 1 from the start, enough of a difference to give blu-ray the edge. 360 was outselling the ps3 despite all expectations.

This time Sony has no format war to win, the fraction that will be tempted to buy 4K UHD discs because the drive is included will be a whole lot smaller, plus it doesn't make Sony any extra money to stimulate disc sales.

On the other side you have a small faction that wants an UHD player for their new 4K tv. But Sony as a business wants you to get ps+ and stream content, that's where the money is. A console used as a physical movie player is a dud business wise. They know ps4p is the only console offering (half) 4K visuals for at least a year. I guess they rather have as much of the 99% that wants to play games in better resolution than lure in that tiny slice of 4K blu-ray buyers that plays the odd game as well.

It sucks Sony is making all the right moves as a business now. I liked them a lot better while susidizing me a shiny blu-ray player back in 2006. Ofcourse the early standalone players sucked (even became obsolete pretty fast) and were $1000+. A standalone 4k UHD player can already be had for under $400. It won't be long until the XBox One S loses its price advantage to a dedicated player with more features for movies and sound.

My bottleneck to the 4k jump is outrageous prices for 4K projectors. I bought a 1080p projector in 2007, still use it daily, still great. If 4K projectors get under $4k next year I'll be temped. Then I get to decide whether to get a standalone player with dual hdmi out (for sound), or get a Scorpio and a new hdmi 2.0 compatible amp. (Only way if it doesn't have dual hdmi out) A standalone player is suddenly a lot cheaper.

I'll reevaluate in a year whether 4K UHD discs become a thing made from actual 4k masters with most new movies coming to 4K discs. I still have plenty blu-rays to watch.

Around the Network

Maybe they'll release a Ps4pro slim or Ps4proelite LOL.

Mr Puggsly said:

Sony could probably afford to lose money on PS4 hardware, I just don't think that's something they wanna do.
They apparently didn't even want to pay for UHD support.

There is no need for them to subsidize the hardware in order to include UHD BR support, do you think MS is subsidizing XBone S?
Kerotan introduced the claim that UHD BR would be expensive requiring either subsidies or significantly raising the price,
but whenever asked for specifics on part prices to back that up, simply never responds to the issue.  Sure sign of confidence there.

As other posters have already referenced, simply looking at part prices for PC BR drives shows the price difference to be negligible (~$10 single unit).
(and Sony would not only have large volume, at-production-cost pricing, being a producer, but doesn't need to pay licence fees either)
So without needing to subsidize it at all, we are at most talking about a $5 price increase, which would not affect sales #s.

Lawlight said:
No. There's not enough demand for an UHD player.

There is demand for UHD blu ray from videophiles, but they would buy a proper dedicated player to begin with.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I think its wise because theres alot of physical media buyers plus it benefits none gamers aswell.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I feel like you're gonna defend them regardless of the position they took on UHD disc support.

More features isn't a bad thing, I'll end on that.

You're right about the defending part. He's already saying in other threads that people shouldn't care about UHD discs anyway because they aren't "real 4K" but upscaled, as if that is a bad thing. But then he says BluRay's look "exceptional" upscaled to 4K and is excited about upscaled 4K gaming. These things with lower quality assets upscaled to 4K are going to be super, and look "exceptional", but a UHD movie on a disc is a waste because it's not "real 4K".

400 million dollars saved by not including the drive... the hoops people will jump through, lol.

I hear ya, defending and trashing 4K at same time seems exhausting.

I dunno, it just seems really odd a device leaning so hard into 4K wont support UHD discs. Frankly, who predicted PS4 Neo wasnt going to offer UHD support? It seemed like common sense.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Maybe they make a PS4 Pro Slim in 2019, a year or so before the Playstation 5 launches.

This depends on what proccessing node they currently made the PS4 Pro on, and if theres a new node for manufacturing avaliable by then. By 2019 maybe 4k TVs are much more common, and demand for 4k Blu-ray has gone up? if so I could see a revised version of the PS4 Pro, that has a UHD drive.

Kerotan said:

So let's say xbox scorpio releases next October or November.  It's coming with a UHD drive and a small number of consumers have decided to get the scorpio over the neo because of that.  Despite the scorpio being a lot more expensive. 

So would it make sense for Sony to replace the Pro with a revision and release it a month before. The only change would be replacing the blu ray drive with a UHD drive.  

Currently that would cost them about $15-20 per console.  But tech like this drops in price fast.  For all we know it might only cost $5 extra by then.  So they add it in and sell the new improved neo before the scorpio releases.  At $100-200 cheaper too. 

Would this be a good move?  I know only a few consumers care but it could steal one of the Scorpios main selling points.  

Discuss! 

Everyone is mad because Sony didn't add it but no one stops to wonder why?  

My guess is Sony (the company I've seen stated of all companies that should have it because they're invested in it through entertainment and tech) has some data that suggest it's not as big of a deal as being made.  It's the most logical conclusion.

i thought it was odd to not have until I actually stopped reading internet rants and realized I was someone who went from around 500 dvd collection to 5 blu rays and when I buy 4k will likely not buy a single one.  Why?  Because streaming is much more convenient.  I don't want to have another expensive collection that's obsolete in a few year when the next big thing comes around.  That's the lesson I learned when I sold off my dvd collection for peanuts.

I imagine I'm not alone in that thinking and I further imagine Sony has data that backs it up.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Mr Puggsly said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

You're right about the defending part. He's already saying in other threads that people shouldn't care about UHD discs anyway because they aren't "real 4K" but upscaled, as if that is a bad thing. But then he says BluRay's look "exceptional" upscaled to 4K and is excited about upscaled 4K gaming. These things with lower quality assets upscaled to 4K are going to be super, and look "exceptional", but a UHD movie on a disc is a waste because it's not "real 4K".

400 million dollars saved by not including the drive... the hoops people will jump through, lol.

I hear ya, defending and trashing 4K at same time seems exhausting.

I dunno, it just seems really odd a device leaning so hard into 4K wont support UHD discs. Frankly, who predicted PS4 Neo wasnt going to offer UHD support? It seemed like common sense.

It does seem odd unless they have data that suggests it's not as important as it's being portrayed.  

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

They are going to save about $400m by not including it.  They are going to sell more ps4's because it's hit that magical $399 price point.  

I'm struggling to see how Sony made a mistake at least in business terms.  

Maybe you could argue it goes against their buyers.  Well their slogan has always been #4theplayers not #4themoviefans so I'd disagree there too.  They're dominating this gen because they focused it on the players from day 1. MS didn't.  And look how that turned out.  

Well in your OP you're suggesting they should add UHD support to take away an advantage from Scorpio, now you're arguing about money potentially saved. All we know for certain is PS4 having UHD support would have increased demand.

Sony had a huge focus on media as well around launch time, PS Vue isn't for the gamers either. Selective memory much?

You're leaving out one key detail.  My logic is it costs more to do it now,  but it it's much cheaper in a year then why not.  It's not going to cost much.  They've nothing to lose by throwing it in. 

Sony focused on the games firstly and then on the media secondly.  It's funny how Microsoft don't have anything nearly as popular or as good as ps VUE and they were the ones focusing so much on the TV aspect of things.