By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would it make sense for Sony to add an UHD drive in 12 months?

Swordmasterman said:
Kerotan said:

Oh yeah in 3/4 years when ps5 comes out a UHD Blu-ray player will be very cheap.  Sony will still want their ps5 to play physical games so I think it's safe to say they'll include a 4k player.  4k blu ray market might be more than tiny niche by then and be worth there while too. 

Yes, 4K will be more popular  in some years. I think that a 4K TV was the best selling item in the USA's last Black Friday.

Hopefully it is.  because the more the mass market moves to 4k the cheaper it gets.  $4k sets 2 years ago cost $1300 today.  Price of tvs is dropping fast.  By the time the ps5 comes out they'll be very affordable for the mass market. 

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
I can see a potential new upgrade.

Dont they always do at least two different upgrades (minus the Neo/Pro since that is a exception) every few years till the next successor comes?

PS3 Phat
PS3 Slim
PS3 Super slim

They also did the same with the PS2.

I think the same thing can happen with the PS4 - hey maybe we'll even get a Pro Slim l0l.

Yeah we'll very likely get a Pro Slim.  So the question is do they feel UHD is important enough to include by then.  It'll likely be a lot cheaper by then so a good chance. 

BasilZero said:
Kerotan said:

Yeah we'll very likely get a Pro Slim.  So the question is do they feel UHD is important enough to include by then.  It'll likely be a lot cheaper by then so a good chance. 

I'm sure it'll come with other improvements to make the pricing and costs less than what it is now.

For that I might end up getting it. Feelin the itch to get a 2nd PS3 myself possibly next year as well since my current PS3 slim is gonna be five years old come this November.

Yeah when my old Phat PS3 reached reached 8 years old thr disc drive stopped working and I could only play digital games.  

So I got a slim for €180 new and put my ps4's old 500GB HDD into it instead of the 12gb. 

Considering we don't play ps3 as much now that the gen is over it should last a very long time.  I'm actually playing it a lot right now but that's just me trying to clear the ps3 backlog.  Down to about 10 games.  So barring ps plus games I want it should be done in 2017 and will be used much less. 

Mr Puggsly said:
DaveTheMinion13 said:
There's tons more content digitally, and Sony has their own 4K service which will most likely be on Pro. Why even add UHD drive for what is it now.....45-47 movies? Which only 1-2 were native 4K....with the rest being remastered in 4K

If PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro supported 4K Blurays, perhaps there would be more demand.

I get your point, but Sony also makes over priced 4K Bluray players. Why not put UHD support in the PS4 to create demand for more physical movies?

It just seems really odd the X1 S has UHD support at $299, while both PS4 Slim and Pro lack it.

I will buy a PS4Pro (already pre-ordered), if it had UHD support I still would never buy a UHD Blu-Ray.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

BasilZero said:
Kerotan said:

Yeah when my old Phat PS3 reached reached 8 years old thr disc drive stopped working and I could only play digital games.  

So I got a slim for €180 new and put my ps4's old 500GB HDD into it instead of the 12gb. 

Considering we don't play ps3 as much now that the gen is over it should last a very long time.  I'm actually playing it a lot right now but that's just me trying to clear the ps3 backlog.  Down to about 10 games.  So barring ps plus games I want it should be done in 2017 and will be used much less. 

My backlog is pretty big too for the PS3 - possibly the most out of all the current consoles I'm playing (WiiU, 3DS, PS4 included) but excluding PC which is....too much lol.

I still have about 50 games or so for my PS3 wishlist - hoping it will get smaller with remasters and enhanced ports to the PS4/PC.

Man you need to win the Lottery and just become a full time gamer! 

Around the Network
dharh said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro supported 4K Blurays, perhaps there would be more demand.

I get your point, but Sony also makes over priced 4K Bluray players. Why not put UHD support in the PS4 to create demand for more physical movies?

It just seems really odd the X1 S has UHD support at $299, while both PS4 Slim and Pro lack it.

I will buy a PS4Pro (already pre-ordered), if it had UHD support I still would never buy a UHD Blu-Ray.

I don't own a dedicated DVD or Bluray player. But I have multiple 360s, multiple X1s, PS2, PS3, and PS4.

And I guess I will eventually have UHD via X1 Scorpio.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)