By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would it make sense for Sony to add an UHD drive in 12 months?

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

360 was released before everybody had wifi and games were played from discs. PS4 Pro is the 4K powerhouse without a UHD drive, cheap hardware X1 S has. Its a bad comparison. However, the PS3 audience did boast about having bluray and wifi.

Your bet is unlikely. I agree Sony is in a position where saving money may be important to them. But that isnt always best for consumers.

It's the best option for the majority of their consumers.  

The ps3 was meant to launch a lot earlier but had to be delayed because they were waiting for the tech they wanted in it to be ready and available.  They went through development hell trying to build a beast.  

And it cost them billions.  Meanwhile Microsoft rushed out theirs.  I didn't see them delaying their plans so they could include blu ray,  wifi tech etc.  No they did what was best for them and got their comsole out asap.  

That turned them from pretty irrelevant with the original xbox to a major player.  

This UHD incident is on a much smaller scale but the thought process is the same.  Sony know the masses don't care so they ain't taking on unnecessary costs.  Great business decision and great for the vast majority who don't care.  

The PS3 wasn't really a beast at gaming though for the price. It was at par with 360 inspite of very expensive parts like Bluray and the Cell. The PS4 is basically the opposite of PS3.

I get what you're saying, but relatively speaking UHD is not an expensive part like Bluray in '06, not even close.

Again, I don't feel excluding UHD was best for consumers considering its the best and most practical way for most to watch 4K video. But we both agree Sony is trying to save money. No need to argue about it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

The ps3 was meant to launch a lot earlier but had to be delayed because they were waiting for the tech they wanted in it to be ready and available.  They went through development hell trying to build a beast.  

And it cost them billions.  Meanwhile Microsoft rushed out theirs.  I didn't see them delaying their plans so they could include blu ray,  wifi tech etc.  No they did what was best for them and got their comsole out asap.  

That turned them from pretty irrelevant with the original xbox to a major player.  

This UHD incident is on a much smaller scale but the thought process is the same.  Sony know the masses don't care so they ain't taking on unnecessary costs.  Great business decision and great for the vast majority who don't care.  

The PS3 wasn't really a beast at gaming though for the price. It was at par with 360 inspite of very expensive parts like Bluray and the Cell. The PS4 is basically the opposite of PS3.

I get what you're saying, but relatively speaking UHD is not an expensive part like Bluray in '06, not even close.

Again, I don't feel excluding UHD was best for consumers considering its the best and most practical way for most to watch 4K video. But we both agree Sony is trying to save money. No need to argue about it.

My argument is it's best for consumers because only a small niche use it. It's not important to thr majority of buyers.  Thus saving money for Sony and their fans is the priority.  High fives all round (except for the very few who want a UHD drive).  

i dont think its needed theres hardly any uhd blurays on shelfs in supermarkets etc so not worth it. anyone who wants to watch uhd can stream it

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

My argument is it's best for consumers because only a small niche use it. It's not important to thr majority of buyers.  Thus saving money for Sony and their fans is the priority.  High fives all round (except for the very few who want a UHD drive).  

Again, Sony saving money doesn't mean better value for consumers. Adding UHD doesn't mean price had to go up.

High fives all round, at Sony maybe.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

Again, Sony saving money doesn't mean better value for consumers. Adding UHD doesn't mean price had to go up.

It does for those who don't want a UHD drive.  We get the ps4 for $399 as a result.  Amazing that such a powerful console costs so little.  I,  as a consumer am delighted! 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It does for those who don't want a UHD drive.  We get the ps4 for $399 as a result.  Amazing that such a powerful console costs so little.  I,  as a consumer am delighted! 

It could have stayed $399 with a UHD. You're assuming it couldn't happen.

I don't see people celebrating its lack of UHD, people are just okay with it not being there. UHD would have simply been more value.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:

I don't see people celebrating its lack of UHD, people are just okay with it not being there. UHD would have simply been more value.

That's false because you seen me celebrating it (you could argue I'm a frog not a person) .  

It could have stated $399 but it's unreasonable to expect a company in thr financial state of Sony to be taking hits.  sure look at Microsoft with their hundreds of billions. Why don't they make a $700 machine and sell it for $500. They can afford to just like Sony could afford to put it in. 

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

360 was released before everybody had wifi and games were played from discs. PS4 Pro is the 4K powerhouse without a UHD drive, cheap hardware X1 S has. Its a bad comparison. However, the PS3 audience did boast about having bluray and wifi.

Your bet is unlikely. I agree Sony is in a position where saving money may be important to them. But that isnt always best for consumers.

This UHD incident is on a much smaller scale but the thought process is the same.  Sony know the masses don't care so they ain't taking on unnecessary costs.  Great business decision and great for the vast majorit

The blu ray player was not what cost Sony billions or made the PS3 a development hell. It was their "cell" that they bragged so much about as being the greatest thing ever. 

No 4k-Blu-Ray = No PS4pro for me

Kerotan said:
Mr Puggsly said:

That's false because you seen me celebrating it (you could argue I'm a frog not a person) .

It could have stated $399 but it's unreasonable to expect a company in thr financial state of Sony to be taking hits.  sure look at Microsoft with their hundreds of billions. Why don't they make a $700 machine and sell it for $500. They can afford to just like Sony could afford to put it in. 

Would UHD make PS4 Pro a $700 machine? Based on the $299 X1 S, my guess is no.

Again... the 4K powerhouse opting for standard Bluray was an odd move nobody predicted. Many thought PS4 Neo was going to be a vehicle for pushing UHD.

Recently Completed