By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HDR Is Coming To All 40 million PS4s Next Week

foodfather said:

Bizarre announcement considering the HDMI is not 4k compatible nor is the BDP.

I feel people are getting excited for no reason. Most won't benefit from what HDR is supposed to be and the only people who will benefit are the ones who watch Daredevil and a few other HDR shows to be streamed at the end of the year.

People without HDR compatible sets, don't worry. It's just another gimmick. 

What? Did you even ever see it? When I first saw it I was blown away. 720p to 1080p was nice. Same with 1080p to 4k but HDR is just fantastic. 

Also it's not only about a few TV shows since the games will support it as well I guess (especially with every console supporting it many devs will work on it)

Still no idea how it will work on older PS4s

Around the Network

I really need to see this HDR in person. I've been completely unimpressed by all the 4K TV's I've seen so far, but HDR sounds like something I could actually appreciate.

SvennoJ said:
I wonder how. Did they find a way to patch the HDMI port to be 2.0a compatible?
Afaik HDR is restricted to 4K streams over HDMI, meaning the ps4 will have to upscale to 4K as well.
Or did they find some magic way to add HDR to 1080p for Sony tvs.
Or do they simply mean 10 bit 1080p output (deep color)

Guess we'll find out next week.

Magic it was =)

They used this:

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

StokedUp said:
What is HDR? seriously I don't have a clue. It's obviously a good thing

HDR just means you can "show" more variations of colour, as far as I understand it.

So will this work through the hdmi or is it streaming content only?

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
foodfather said:

Bizarre announcement considering the HDMI is not 4k compatible nor is the BDP.

I feel people are getting excited for no reason. Most won't benefit from what HDR is supposed to be and the only people who will benefit are the ones who watch Daredevil and a few other HDR shows to be streamed at the end of the year.

People without HDR compatible sets, don't worry. It's just another gimmick. 

What? Did you even ever see it? When I first saw it I was blown away. 720p to 1080p was nice. Same with 1080p to 4k but HDR is just fantastic. 

Also it's not only about a few TV shows since the games will support it as well I guess (especially with every console supporting it many devs will work on it)

Do not be fooled by store demos. 

There are even clowns on YT doing comparisons with regular blurays,  and they simply reduce the contrast on the regular bluray to make the HDR look better. 

foodfather said:
crissindahouse said:

There are even clowns on YT doing comparisons with regular blurays,  and they simply reduce the contrast on the regular bluray to make the HDR look better. 

So youre just gonna go in every thread and just downplay the hell out of everything? Not in mine. Go take it elsewhere.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

foodfather said:
crissindahouse said:

I'm not fooled by store demos, I'm just telling you what my eyes see with HDR content and they see great stuff^^

Wow, great news. I still need to buy a TV that has HDR.

Really sweet, HDR is the next big display technology but where's adaptive sync ?