By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No Man's Sky: What This Fan Really Thinks After 100 Hours

KLXVER said:
vivster said:

I know, which is fine. But I won't have some filthy other players ruin my personal adventure. It's the same issue I have with Dark Souls. I play a singleplayer game to be alone. If I want other people intruding on my turf and ruining my day I visit VGC.

Then play them offline...

Does it have an offline mode or do I have to forcibly put steam offline? Because that shit won't fly.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
KLXVER said:

Then play them offline...

Does it have an offline mode or do I have to forcibly put steam offline? Because that shit won't fly.

I have no idea. I game on consoles.

KLXVER said:
vivster said:

I have no idea. I game on consoles.

There also no specific information about it online so I assume there is no simple way to just toggle it ingame. Maybe I should ask Murray now so I'll  have an answer in a few months.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think it's funny how samey the game looks and how difficult it is to write an algorithm that gives varied planets apparently.

And at the same time there are lots of tech nerds who believe we are just a few decades away from the singularity, a self-evolving super AI.

It's very sad because I was hoping procedural generation by now would be at the point where it really could help create huge worlds. But it simply can't yet.

No Man Sky is a huge fiasco in this respect. In technical terms some people argue that it took procedural generation a leap few years forward, but comparing with the expectations it actually took us back in time, because if such an ambitious project was only able to create a samey world that bores most players, there's no chance we'll get the worlds of Elder Scrolls, Grand Feft Auto, The Witcher etc to become bigger with the help of procedural generation in any forseeable future.

Was there even one aspect of ther procedural generation in No Man Sky was impressive?

The variation of textures it could produce? The look of creatures? The creature animations? The overall topography of planets? Unique weather? Unique creature behaviour? Variation in tech level and civilization advancement of creatures?

Not from what I've heard sadly.

I've put in 30 to 40 hours but for some reason I'm playing it on both my usa and uk psn account so I've got 2 different adventures on the go. Still enjoying it but the desire to get back to it is weakening and I'm starting to play other games inbetween now. I think I will be playing this for a long time though but just because I enjoy visiting new worlds and seeing different animals.

Had my first crash on ps4 the other day. Was not happy I'd just killed a lot of pirates and was feeling proud of my piloting skills and then it crashed when I went to hyperspace.

Around the Network

I've put in 30 to 40 hours but for some reason I'm playing it on both my usa and uk psn account so I've got 2 different adventures on the go. Still enjoying it but the desire to get back to it is weakening and I'm starting to play other games inbetween now. I think I will be playing this for a long time though but just because I enjoy visiting new worlds and seeing different animals.

Had my first crash on ps4 the other day. Was not happy I'd just killed a lot of pirates and was feeling proud of my piloting skills and then it crashed when I went to hyperspace.

REDZONE said:
I said when they first showed it .It looks like it will get boring quick and looks repetitive as hell.

To be fair the product they showed a was much more ambitious game than it became.

The game the were pushing had a lot more happening in the world.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I think it falls into the trap a lot of open world sandbox type games fall into. I don't think the procedural generation has much to do with it.
I think an MP aspect would help but I'm not for sure because like games of this type the object is to grind for better (whatever) except this has things like languages and exploratory goals you grind towards. I don't know how that'd play out in longevity using MP like destiny or the division which are also grindfest.

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....