By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WSJ: Nintendo’s New NX Console to Go Retro With Videogame Cartridges

Rogerioandrade said:
Cartridges ? .....
Why media is still sticking to that dumb idea?
They´re not cartridges per se.... They are memory cards / flash cards.

Pretty much. Its not like we are getting N64 style cartridges.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
I wonder how patches and updates would work. Plus DLC might be an issue.

Same like they working on evre platform, I dont see why they would be any difrent than for instance on Wii U.

Lawlight said:
So, Uncharted 4 is 44GB. Are there cartridges that can hold that much data?

Infos saying that Wii U cartridges (flash memory) are 32GB, but I dont see why they cant have 64GB for bigger games.

Miyamotoo said:
bunchanumbers said:
I wonder how patches and updates would work. Plus DLC might be an issue.

Same like they working on evre platform, I dont see why they would be any difrent than for instance on Wii U.

Lawlight said:
So, Uncharted 4 is 44GB. Are there cartridges that can hold that much data?

Infos saying that Wii U cartridges (flash memory) are 32GB, but I dont see why they cant have 64GB for bigger games.

Halo 5 had like a 45GB update. I hope that Nintendo is thinking of 3rd parties and their inefficient use of updates and patches when they made NX.

As long as they get 64GB cartridges for third party games when needed I'm full on board with the idea

The_Yoda said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

I'm all digital now...
... but i'm willing to go old school :)

I'd never seen that before, that thing is tits

I own one. Theyre amazing and can be linked to the tv to be played like a reg SNES. Also plays SFC games. Only issue is that it doesnt have amazing audio output. Its fine with headphones though

Around the Network

Don't think this will have a *ton* of third party support from the West so I don't think the size matters that much. 32GB is quite a bit.

bunchanumbers said:

Halo 5 had like a 45GB update. I hope that Nintendo is thinking of 3rd parties and their inefficient use of updates and patches when they made NX.

Third parties? On a Nintendo device powered by a Tegra processor (if rumors are true)? Yeah, right...

Let's face it, only some Japanese companies will support it, and not with AAA games but rather handheld-like projects.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

What do you mean "retro"? The 3DS and PSVITA both uses carts, so its not exactly retro

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

shikamaru317 said:

"Cartridges also allow games to load faster, are harder to copy and can be mass-produced faster than discs, they said."

I agree with the first 2 points, but I'm confused as to how cartridges can be mass produced faster. You have to actaully mass produce circuit boards to go inside each cartridge, whereas you can burn files to discs quickly and easily. 

On loading I find it depends as have some games on PSV and PS4 and the PSV version has longer loading times despite being on cartridge format.  If Nintendo can bring back SNES level of loading be a nice positive to me as hated loading screens since PS1 era.

Yea. It's nothing out of the ordinary for portable consoles.

Hunting Season is done...