By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WSJ: Nintendo’s New NX Console to Go Retro With Videogame Cartridges

Would love to see NX use carts. Even at the least to distinguish itself from ps4 and x1

Around the Network

Whether its disc or cartridges im just glad its physical :)

So, Uncharted 4 is 44GB. Are there cartridges that can hold that much data?

No problem wahtsoever with cartridges, too!

I honestly don't believe the NX will happen that soon... it could even happen after Christmas.

FunFan said:
Miyamotoo said:

Not just only that, but if look at last few Nintendo consoles, Wii and GC, only thing that broke but time was optical drive, now without optical drive NX can basicly be unbreakable. :)

The fan on my gamecub broke once, but it was an easy and cheap repair. Hopefuly the NX will ditch moving parts.

If NX is indeed an hybrid device, there won't be any fans as that would make the damn thing too thick.

OT: If NX can be moved around, a cartridge based device is the way to go, as Sony learned from the PSP.

Also, to the OP, sentence you repeated doesn't mean anything. Pachter is also an analyst, and how many times has he being right? That is just their guess because they think it's a good time and would allow japanese publishers/developers show their NX games at TGS, but so far no japanese publisher has said anything about unnannounced games at TGS in their show plans.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
So, Uncharted 4 is 44GB. Are there cartridges that can hold that much data?

Yes.

However the NX wont get games with as big resolution textures as the PS4.

So that same game, if you ported it to NX, would have smaller textures and probably drop down the game size to fit in 32gb.

Basically Less graphics = smaller game size.

Acevil said:
bunchanumbers said:
I wonder how patches and updates would work. Plus DLC might be an issue.

Games can still recieve patches and updates and DLC. The 3DS had those, you just store the data on some time of storage. 

Also, someone mentioned the possibility of being able to store DLC, patches and other Stuff on the cartriges themselves, wich could be a possibility that disks dont even provide. Plus the obvious system storage, wich is basically how all modern systems handle this.

I imagine that they will not be shaped like tiny NES cartridges and more like 3DS or SD cards, but tiny NES cartridges would be the best. What caught my attention, because I was already expecting cartridges, is a reveal BEFORE TGS. WHAT?! If this happens I would be stoked and now I'm getting really hyped probably for nothing. I don't know where they are getting their info, but if WSJ is saying this I imagine it is pretty accurate, they have some inside sources I'm sure and are a very credible news publication. Please be true!

NNID: Dongo8                              XBL Gamertag: Dongos Revenge

3DS and Vita use cartridges, if the economics make sense I could see NX using more advanced versions. I'll be curious how much data they can hold.

This rumor has been popping up over and over again. I'm starting to feel this one could very well be true. I'm cool with that though. I've always prefer carts over discs.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread