By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WSJ: Nintendo’s New NX Console to Go Retro With Videogame Cartridges

Game stop is going to have a field day then.

Around the Network

Cartridges ? .....
Why media is still sticking to that dumb idea?
They´re not cartridges per se.... They are memory cards / flash cards.

Augen said:
3DS and Vita use cartridges, if the economics make sense I could see NX using more advanced versions. I'll be curious how much data they can hold.

Macronix who provides Nintendo with the 3ds carts, has started 32nm rom manufacturing process, wich appearently allows them capacities of 32GB at the cost of regular BDs. Not sure if they also have higher capacities at higher costs, or how exactly they'd handle games that are bigger than that.

I definitely would like this move from Nintendo!
Cartridges were always something I associated with Nintendo so going back to the roots is nice.

Smart programming and compressing techniques are more than enough for most of he games out there.

Around the Network

There would be very significant size, power and cost savings by getting rid of a disc drive.

Called it if true. I dont mind it since its portable and cartridges are fairly durable.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I'm all digital now...
... but i'm willing to go old school :)

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

I'm all digital now...
... but i'm willing to go old school :)

I'd never seen that before, that thing is tits

I had assumed since the Gamestop article that carts were a valid rumor. Considering I have 128 gb of storage in my phone via a microSD card I know form factor/size isn't a major concern. That said though I would like to see a larger form factor for these carts than they have used for the DS line. The reason being small form factor / large capacity = more costly. I'd like to see them not N64 themselves. I'd rather see a form factor that has unused space early on so that if a developer needed to exceed 32 gb they could still have room to use the larger form factor cheaper memory without making a cart that costs 60 bucks to produce.