By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: If the NX flops, Nintendo will still have 9.5 Billion dollars in the bank (They have 10 last time Pachter checked)

potato_hamster said:

So you think Valve took that mod as it was, and just released it all willy-nilly on consoles under their own brand? Because that's not what happened at all. In both of those cases, they pretty much re-wrote most of the game from scratch to build them to their standards, and went through a similar process to get them certified on consoles. It's almost like that's exactly what I said Nintendo would need to do for these fan projects...

Perhaps you should watch the video where Gabe wen't and took a look at Left 4 Dead then picked it up. It would explain most of what you are asking, it's probably on youtube somewhere.

potato_hamster said:

Which they won't, because it requires almost as much effort as making your own first party games yourself. You're still not getting it, are you?

On what planet does that even make sense?
Getting someone else to make games for free is more effort than making it yourself?

That's like saying that you are getting a contractor to build your house is more work than building it yourself, it's nuts.

potato_hamster said:

How do you think hackers and modders get custom firmware on consoles?

There is no real way to answer this as every hack/mod attempt that has given hackers access to custom firmware on consoles has actually been different.
And often consoles will undergo hardware revisions to get around that.

But if you think every console hack/firmware crack has been the result of a software flaw, then you are greatly mistaken.

Nintendo can create a "walled garden" that restricts access to core componetns of the OS and only expose vital parts like the API, this is how Microsoft does it actually. Funny that, huh?

potato_hamster said:

Nintendo don't want anyone to ever install their own OS on their platforms. 

They really don't have a choice in the matter.

potato_hamster said:

In fact Sony removed the ability to install Linux on the PS3 because there was a exploitable aspect to how that feature worked that they could not patch.

We aren't talking complete access to an OS here.
And the PS3 OS had vulnerabilities because Sony didn't support it all that well, not to mention at the time their security was laughable at best. (I.E. The great PSN hack ring a bell?)
If you think that is representatitive of Nintendo curating games, then you are greatly mistaken.

The fact that you are even justifying Nintendo's attacks on it's greatest fans says allot.

potato_hamster said:

Scaremongering? Hardly. In fact I guarantee that if Nintendo started a program such as thing, hackers/modders would be looking at ways to to put "a wolf in sheep's clothing" through the system. It would be incredibly easy to do if Nintendo isn't combing over the code to make sure it all checks out.

Microsoft has been very successfull in not allowing for malicious stuff on the Xbox, despite having tools that are cheap and easy to access to build games for the platform. - They don't look at every line of code in a game before release either do they?

Heck. Steam does the same thing, thousands and thousands (More than any other platform) of games are released on Steam, but your scaremongering hasn't come to fruition on that platform either.

potato_hamster said:

Like how Microsoft shut down Halogen? Or how Sony/Activision shut down that fan-made Crash Bandicoot game? Or how Sega shut down that Streets of Rage fan game? Or Konami shut down that Metal Gear Solid remake? Or How Square Enix shut down that Chrono Trigger Fan project?

Literally everyone in the industry does this. Kinda odd that you're going after Nintendo when the main reason they shut down so many fan made games is because most notable fan made games that come to the surface feature Nintendo IPs.

If another company (I criticised Blizzard for the EXACT SAME THING) shuts down a fan project and I disagree with it, I will voice my opinion.

However, this isn't a thread that is about other company's is it? It's about Nintendo. Not Sony, not Microsoft, not Blizzard... But Nintendo, so it's obvious my "attack" will be focused on Nintendo rather than some other comapny isn't it?

I will attack any and all platforms regardless of the company that owns it, I criticsed the Xbox for it's update procedures about half an hour ago... A few days ago I critcised Sony for various aspects relating to the Playstation, I'm not blind and I am not biased to any console platform, so don't assume otherwise.

potato_hamster said:

You really don't understand Intellectual Property rights if you think that taking in any type of income while using another company's IP isn't incredibly illegal. It doesn't matter if its only covering costs. It doesn't matter if you're only breaking even. It doesn't matter if you donate any extra money to make to charity. It's still illegal.

You have every right to disagree about whether or not it should be legal, but that doesn't change the reality that it is.

I do fully understand Intellectual Property Rights, but you have obviously missed my point completely and taken everything out of context.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Pemalite said:

Perhaps you should watch the video where Gabe wen't and took a look at Left 4 Dead then picked it up. It would explain most of what you are asking, it's probably on youtube somewhere.

Sure, Gabe picked it up. You seem to be thinking he just immediately slapped his logo on it and released it on Xbox 360. I'm sure they got EA to put their logo on it just because Gabe felt like donating some of the profits to EA instead of keeping them all for himself, right? Or, maybe it was because it was a fuckload of work to port that game to a console and pass certification. Or do you think that just happened with positive thinking?

... Maybe there's a different set of standard to make a PC game vs a console which is exactly what I keep touching on, and you continue to conveniently ignore.

Pemalite said:

On what planet does that even make sense?
Getting someone else to make games for free is more effort than making it yourself?

That's like saying that you are getting a contractor to build your house is more work than building it yourself, it's nuts.

It makes perfect sense on a planet where someone presents you a house to buy and without an inspection, or any documentation from any third party that certifies that everything was done to code. So if you buy it,  you have to tear apart all of the walls, and roofing, and siding, and insulation, and electrical panels, and outlets and plumbing, and flooring, and ducting, and dig around the house to make sure the waterproofing was done correctly to make sure it is all done to code and your standards. Because when you buy that house, and sell it to someone else with your name on it, you're responsible for any repairs that need to be done to that house, and any personal items that might get damage as a result of faulty work.

It might just be better to just built your own house and know it's done right from the get-go.

Pemalite said:

There is no real way to answer this as every hack/mod attempt that has given hackers access to custom firmware on consoles has actually been different.
And often consoles will undergo hardware revisions to get around that.

But if you think every console hack/firmware crack has been the result of a software flaw, then you are greatly mistaken.

Nintendo can create a "walled garden" that restricts access to core componetns of the OS and only expose vital parts like the API, this is how Microsoft does it actually. Funny that, huh?

Almost every meaningful exploit on a console that allowed a hacker to install a custom OS was done by fooling the system to thinking it was running signed code. Sure, some of them featured hacking the firmware of components within the console, or hotwiring some additional hardware into the system that fucks with the console in a dozen different ways. But the ones using software only, that didn't involve opening up your console? Almost all of them were signed code exploits.

It's wonderful that you think that a "walled garden" approach will just solve everything. But we all know that simply isn't the case, is it? It's hilarious that you think Nintendo didn't try that with consoles like the DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U. Because they did. Sony tried the same thing with it's hypervisor on the PS3, and that was blown wide open. Sure, maybe the X1 hasn't been torn to shreds yet, but that's probably just a matter of time. But let's just stick with Nintendo. As mentioned, Nintendo has had pretty much every console they've every made completely decimated by hackers and modders. The Wii, Wii U, NDS and 3DS all were completely opened up by signed code exploits with a "walled garden" style of security. So yes Nintendo should be worried about those kinds of things happening on their platforms, because it happens all the time already!

Pemalite said:

They really don't have a choice in the matter.

Well they keep trying to convinve their investors that they do, and they spend a lot of time and money in trying to prevent that from happening. Otherwise they might as well just let their consoles play games burnt on Blu-rays straight out of the box.

Pemalite said:

We aren't talking complete access to an OS here.
And the PS3 OS had vulnerabilities because Sony didn't support it all that well, not to mention at the time their security was laughable at best. (I.E. The great PSN hack ring a bell?)
If you think that is representatitive of Nintendo curating games, then you are greatly mistaken.

The fact that you are even justifying Nintendo's attacks on it's greatest fans says allot.

You still haven't given an example of a fan developing a console game and an IP owner taking that game and releasing it on the console offically basically untouched. So what is representative of Nintendo "curating games"? Because this seems to be a concept that has no basis in reality.

Pemalite said:

Microsoft has been very successfull in not allowing for malicious stuff on the Xbox, despite having tools that are cheap and easy to access to build games for the platform. - They don't look at every line of code in a game before release either do they?

Heck. Steam does the same thing, thousands and thousands (More than any other platform) of games are released on Steam, but your scaremongering hasn't come to fruition on that platform either.

Yeah? And? Microsoft also doesn't publish fan made Halo games on Xbox One without so much as looking under the hood as you suggest Nintendo should do. You need to demonstrate that this is safe to do so, and it can't be used as means of injecting unsigned code into a system any more than a save file exploit is used today. Aside from that, the steam certification process is vastly different than the console certification. The console process in a lot more stringent and tediious than making sure your game opens up the steam menu, and gives out packs of cards. And yes, if MS does find something they fear may be malicious, they can ask to look at your source code, or parts of your source code at least.

Pemalite said:

I do fully understand Intellectual Property Rights, but you have obviously missed my point completely and taken everything out of context.

Kinda odd that you think you can claim to fully understand IP rights, but think it's totally okay to make money off of a product that uses IP that you have no rights to. To me, that demonstrates that you fail to even have a basic understanding of IP rights. But that's just me though.

I don't really see NX being a flop unless they mismanage it incredibly horribly.

Even if it is basically just their next portable, that should still sell 35-40 million on the low end. That isn't a "flop".

If they can't even hit that, everyone on their board of directors should just resign their position on the board because they have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

potato_hamster said:
Sure, Gabe picked it up. You seem to be thinking he just immediately slapped his logo on it and released it on Xbox 360. I'm sure they got EA to put their logo on it just because Gabe felt like donating some of the profits to EA instead of keeping them all for himself, right? Or, maybe it was because it was a fuckload of work to port that game to a console and pass certification. Or do you think that just happened with positive thinking?

... Maybe there's a different set of standard to make a PC game vs a console which is exactly what I keep touching on, and you continue to conveniently ignore.

You're missing the point completely and playing with semantics, there is no difference between console and PC in this regard from a legality standpoint.

The point is, Nintendo can support mods and turn them into proper releases, Nintendo can curate and foster it's most avid fanbase instead of attacking and shutting them down.
And why do we know they can? Because other companies do it like Valve. - Steam Workshop is a testament to that fact, curation of mods/games that are free.

potato_hamster said:
It makes perfect sense on a planet where someone presents you a house to buy and without an inspection, or any documentation from any third party that certifies that everything was done to code. So if you buy it,  you have to tear apart all of the walls, and roofing, and siding, and insulation, and electrical panels, and outlets and plumbing, and flooring, and ducting, and dig around the house to make sure the waterproofing was done correctly to make sure it is all done to code and your standards. Because when you buy that house, and sell it to someone else with your name on it, you're responsible for any repairs that need to be done to that house, and any personal items that might get damage as a result of faulty work.

It might just be better to just built your own house and know it's done right from the get-go.

Right. Whatever, I'm not playing into your silly circular logic.

If you think getting someone else to build your house is harder work than building it yourself, you are dreaming, simple as that, the end.

potato_hamster said:
Almost every meaningful exploit on a console that allowed a hacker to install a custom OS was done by fooling the system to thinking it was running signed code. Sure, some of them featured hacking the firmware of components within the console, or hotwiring some additional hardware into the system that fucks with the console in a dozen different ways. But the ones using software only, that didn't involve opening up your console? Almost all of them were signed code exploits.

It's wonderful that you think that a "walled garden" approach will just solve everything. But we all know that simply isn't the case, is it? It's hilarious that you think Nintendo didn't try that with consoles like the DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U. Because they did. Sony tried the same thing with it's hypervisor on the PS3, and that was blown wide open. Sure, maybe the X1 hasn't been torn to shreds yet, but that's probably just a matter of time. But let's just stick with Nintendo. As mentioned, Nintendo has had pretty much every console they've every made completely decimated by hackers and modders. The Wii, Wii U, NDS and 3DS all were completely opened up by signed code exploits with a "walled garden" style of security. So yes Nintendo should be worried about those kinds of things happening on their platforms, because it happens all the time already!

The fact of the matter is, Microsoft and Sony have "walled garden" approaches and they have worked fantastically, there is already market precedence that says what you are saying is incorrect.
If Nintendo is succeptable to having their devices hacked, then they simply need to put more effort into it, Sony had to once the PS3 and PSN got hacked.

Besides, every console will get hacked, it's a matter of when not if, having your console internet-connected does help to alleviate it though due to constant software updates to beef up security over time.

potato_hamster said:

Well they keep trying to convinve their investors that they do, and they spend a lot of time and money in trying to prevent that from happening. Otherwise they might as well just let their consoles play games burnt on Blu-rays straight out of the box.

Piracy has never been big on console to begin with even with machines which can be cracked easily, so I doubt that, certainly not to the same extent as PC...
And you know how PC "cured" piracy? Cheaper prices. I'm serious. Steam did wonders.

potato_hamster said:

You still haven't given an example of a fan developing a console game and an IP owner taking that game and releasing it on the console offically basically untouched. So what is representative of Nintendo "curating games"? Because this seems to be a concept that has no basis in reality.

Perhaps you lack adequate reading comprehension? I did give you an example. It did arrive on console. And the first part of this post is actually in reference to it.
Plus Consoles are getting mods now, that's curating of mods.

potato_hamster said:

Yeah? And? Microsoft also doesn't publish fan made Halo games on Xbox One without so much as looking under the hood as you suggest Nintendo should do. You need to demonstrate that this is safe to do so, and it can't be used as means of injecting unsigned code into a system any more than a save file exploit is used today. Aside from that, the steam certification process is vastly different than the console certification. The console process in a lot more stringent and tediious than making sure your game opens up the steam menu, and gives out packs of cards. And yes, if MS does find something they fear may be malicious, they can ask to look at your source code, or parts of your source code at least.

Whilst correct Microsoft hasn't published fan games on Xbox One, that is actually where they are heading though as they are slowly opening their console up for App development and mod support thanks to the Universal Windows Platform. - Perhaps you have heard of it?
Sony is doing the same. (YAY)

PLUS you could just build a HTML5 front end anyway and run a Halo fangame on the Xbox One itself via it's web browser. - But Nintendo tends to shut down those efforts as per the 560 odd games it hit with a DMCA just recently. Go figure.

potato_hamster said:

Kinda odd that you think you can claim to fully understand IP rights, but think it's totally okay to make money off of a product that uses IP that you have no rights to. To me, that demonstrates that you fail to even have a basic understanding of IP rights. But that's just me though.

Again, you are interpreting what I have stated incorrectly.
Go back and read what I originally intentioned instead of warping it into something different, please, for both our sakes.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
potato_hamster said:

You're missing the point completely and playing with semantics, there is no difference between console and PC in this regard from a legality standpoint.

The point is, Nintendo can support mods and turn them into proper releases, Nintendo can curate and foster it's most avid fanbase instead of attacking and shutting them down.
And why do we know they can? Because other companies do it like Valve. - Steam Workshop is a testament to that fact, curation of mods/games that are free.

potato_hamster said:

Right. Whatever, I'm not playing into your silly circular logic.

If you think getting someone else to build your house is harder work than building it yourself, you are dreaming, simple as that, the end.

potato_hamster said:

The fact of the matter is, Microsoft and Sony have "walled garden" approaches and they have worked fantastically, there is already market precedence that says what you are saying is incorrect.
If Nintendo is succeptable to having their devices hacked, then they simply need to put more effort into it, Sony had to once the PS3 and PSN got hacked.

Besides, every console will get hacked, it's a matter of when not if, having your console internet-connected does help to alleviate it though due to constant software updates to beef up security over time.

potato_hamster said:

Piracy has never been big on console to begin with even with machines which can be cracked easily, so I doubt that, certainly not to the same extent as PC...
And you know how PC "cured" piracy? Cheaper prices. I'm serious. Steam did wonders.

potato_hamster said:

Perhaps you lack adequate reading comprehension? I did give you an example. It did arrive on console. And the first part of this post is actually in reference to it.
Plus Consoles are getting mods now, that's curating of mods.

potato_hamster said:

Whilst correct Microsoft hasn't published fan games on Xbox One, that is actually where they are heading though as they are slowly opening their console up for App development and mod support thanks to the Universal Windows Platform. - Perhaps you have heard of it?
Sony is doing the same. (YAY)

PLUS you could just build a HTML5 front end anyway and run a Halo fangame on the Xbox One itself via it's web browser. - But Nintendo tends to shut down those efforts as per the 560 odd games it hit with a DMCA just recently. Go figure.

potato_hamster said:

Again, you are interpreting what I have stated incorrectly.
Go back and read what I originally intentioned instead of warping it into something different, please, for both our sakes.

We're clearly not getting anywhere because you seem to be under the impression that because Nintendo technically can do something, they should. You seem to miss the fact that even though Nintendo could foster these fan-made projects, buy them from the people who made them, and work them into their own titles, that's actually an extraordinary amount of work to do, to the point where it simply isn't worth it. It's far easier to just shut them down, protect their IPs and focus on making the games they want to make rather than fostering, developing and fixing the games fans made for them.

Tell me, what's the point of buying a house off of someone if you have to tear apart 80% of it and redo it to meet code? It's arguably easier to just start from scratch. Here's a clear example. Someone gives you what appears to be a new a Honda Civic. You take a look at it, and discover the engine's seized, the transmission's missing, the interior is completely trashed, all of the air bags were removed, all of the suspension is for the wrong car and it doesn't work right.  None of the electical works right, and all of the body panels are actually made of paper mache, and painted with Tremclad. A new Honda Civic costs what? $18000? How much do you think it would cost to strip that car down to its frame and replace every piece you removed with a brand new OEM part to get it back on the road and pass inspection? A lot more than $18,000 I assure you. But hey, you got a free car out of it, right? Why don't you just take that free car instead of buying your own!

It can actually be more work to fix a broken game than it is to create an entire new one from scratch. Just ask the hundreds of people that worked on Duke Nukem Forever, or the team that worked on the Last Guardian.

It's hilarious that you think that Counterstrike  was just put on consoles basically untouched. Because it wasn't. It took 3 years after the release on PC before Counter-strike appeared on the Xbox. What were they waiting for if the game was "ready to go"? In fact, 3 years to port a game that's already made seems like an awful lot of time doesn't it? Entire AAA games are made in less time! Maybe it's because they had to rework a significant portion of the game to make it work on consoles, and get it certified, and it might have actually been more work than making their own counter-strike branded game. Imagine that.

By the way, I'm not warping anything you said about IP law. "Taking donations" that fans are "giving you" to support a project that uses another company's IP that you have no rights to, no matter what the circumstance, is illegal. Period. You fail to understand this. This is why torrent sites are illegal. This is why sites like megavideo got shut down. Your creative phrasing doesn't hold muster. It might make sense in your head, but that doesn't apply in the real world.