By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star Trek Beyond deserved so much more at the box office

Roping in Justin Lin, made the studios wonder, they could reinvigorate the franchise slowdown just as Fast and Furious. Fast 7 was a fluke with the demise of Paul Walker. I knew this movie was destined to fail the moment I saw the bike sequence and heard that track at around climax, target audience being in the light minority. The film was only an average entertainer to me. Apocalypse was horrible and I'm surprised it did almost as good as STB.

Around the Network
Nem said:
StarOcean said:
I didn't watch it after they were being douchebags to George Takei and going against his wishes. So I won't watch it

To listen to him, they would need to rewrite the script and hire a new actor. Sounds like alot of unecessary change. I think gay Sulu was fitting and Takei should be honored. I don't think it makes sense to try and guess what it was Gene rodenberry would think of it. 

Anyways, on topic. It was funny how there were no lens flares this time! xD

I liked all the new Star trek movies. This one i guess felt more trecky, but it also felt more like filler. The first two felt more personal. Definitly worth watching.

From what I hear its only one scene. I'm sure they could cut one scene. And he shouldn't feel honored if he completely opposes the idea. And the fact they told him, he rejected it, and they still went with it is completely disrespectful. I'd be upset with the people involved too if I was in his place. So I refuse to support the film

I enjoyed the movie but one thing when I walked out the door that was lingering on my mind was the story was kind of weak, not bad but it felt like it could have had more elements to it.

StarOcean said:
Nem said:

To listen to him, they would need to rewrite the script and hire a new actor. Sounds like alot of unecessary change. I think gay Sulu was fitting and Takei should be honored. I don't think it makes sense to try and guess what it was Gene rodenberry would think of it. 

Anyways, on topic. It was funny how there were no lens flares this time! xD

I liked all the new Star trek movies. This one i guess felt more trecky, but it also felt more like filler. The first two felt more personal. Definitly worth watching.

From what I hear its only one scene. I'm sure they could cut one scene. And he shouldn't feel honored if he completely opposes the idea. And the fact they told him, he rejected it, and they still went with it is completely disrespectful. I'd be upset with the people involved too if I was in his place. So I refuse to support the film

It's at least 2 scenes. You see him looking at his family photo (wich is the husband and child), i think in two occasions. Its the opposite of disrespectful and it fit the emotion they were trying to portray due to "spoilers watch the movie". They made a homage to him and he is beeing pissy about it. Gene probably wouldn't have minded at all. He had established characters back then, so it didnt make sense to retcon them. But this is a reboot. Different universe. They can do what they want with the character.

The character that Takei played is still there and it is what it is. The new one isn't his business.

The problem with the movie is it falls into the same "Long TV Episode-itis" some of the Next Generation movies fall into.

It's just basically a 2 hour TV episode, and one that wouldn't even be all that interesting with the typical Star Trek-James Bond villain who yells every line "OH .... YOU ... WILL ... BE .... AFRAID .... KIRK!"

The beginning was OK aside from the comical goofy aliens, but this movie becomes a bore half way through.

To be honest, even though it screwed up the Khan character, I liked the last one better than this one.

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
Nem said:

It's at least 2 scenes. You see him looking at his family photo (wich is the husband and child), i think in two occasions. Its the opposite of disrespectful and it fit the emotion they were trying to portray due to "spoilers watch the movie". They made a homage to him and he is beeing pissy about it. Gene probably wouldn't have minded at all. He had established characters back then, so it didnt make sense to retcon them. But this is a reboot. Different universe. They can do what they want with the character.

The character that Takei played is still there and it is what it is. The new one isn't his business.

Something tells me that if the roles were reversed (Takai pushing for that kind of change/movie keeping old character), I'd see a lot of people playing a different tune.

Eh... i don't see why. In the end of the day, the writers do what they want with the character. This is like saying that since clooney played Batman before, he has a say on how the character should be in the new movies. That just isn't a thing.  Actors play roles, they don't write them. I like Takei, but i think he is coming out douchy in this situation. This isn't Gene's work anymore. Just the inspiration.

Still has China and a few other markets to release in.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

It was ok, but note really on the same level as the first two...

Star Trek is a bit like the X-men of sci-fi movies. It has a strong fanbase, but never really threatens box office records.

I'm getting a bit tired of the whole evil scary dude determined to destroy Earth plot scenario that keeps being recycled in this reboot series. And ultimately I think the movie franchise is going to suffer from departing from the TV series continuity. In retrospect I think the movie franchise would have been better not doing a reboot, but establishing a different set of characters in the original continuity.

It was a good movie, but only really a Star Trek movie in name. It was an otherwise bog standard Sci-fi flick.

The best Star Trek movie of all remains First Contact.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Star Trek is a bit like the X-men of sci-fi movies. It has a strong fanbase, but never really threatens box office records.

I'm getting a bit tired of the whole evil scary dude determined to destroy Earth plot scenario that keeps being recycled in this reboot series. And ultimately I think the movie franchise is going to suffer from departing from the TV series continuity. In retrospect I think the movie franchise would have been better not doing a reboot, but establishing a different set of characters in the original continuity.

It was a good movie, but only really a Star Trek movie in name. It was an otherwise bog standard Sci-fi flick.

The best Star Trek movie of all remains First Contact.

I'd say that's between Star Trek II and VI, but First Contact is better than any other Star Trek film since by a good margin.