By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Was Left Out of The 2016 Olympics Closing Ceremony Due to International Recognition

BraLoD said:
invetedlotus123 said:
Talking about Brazil, where the ceremony happened, Pokemon is at least as famous as Mario here. The show aired for years straight in open TV channels and is still airing in Cartoon Network. Pikachu is very recognized here. Mario is too, but in mind share Pokemon is a stronger name in Brazil thanks to the show.
I don't know if Doraemon ever got aired here and Tsubasa aired in Cartoon Network. Brazil has a love case with Anime, I would even risk Goku is as popular here as Superman.

Goku is many times more popular than Superman around here.

I know, wanted to be more apologetic in my words, but I agree with you. And I can say for sure that Freeza is more recognized than any Superman villain here. Dragon Ball aired in it's entirety from Dragon Ball to GT on open TV, many times. It's a shame that is certain that Super will only be aired in Pay TV. 

Around the Network

Mario is Nintendo's mascot, if anyone's going to represent the company it's him, that's the only explanation they needed to give really.

BraLoD said:

DB Super is horrible, so it's not really a shame.

^Completely agree. You know it's bad when even the Pokemon anime has better animation!

Platina said:
Captain Tsubasa is a sports manga/anime so it sort of fits with the Olympic theme

Doraemon is a classic so it makes sense that it's shown as well :p

They probably didn't want to flood with Nintendo IP so left it with Mario, which if compared against each other, I would say Mario is more popular than Pikachu

I think the real reason is variety, so I agree with you.

Having 2/3 characters that are majorly focused on video games would be a bit much.

As you say

1. Tsubasa: Sports manga / anime

2. Doraemon: Orignally manga, but massive in all japanese media now and an old icon that people over 30 might recognize.

3. Mario: Video games

Einsam_Delphin said:
BraLoD said:

DB Super is horrible, so it's not really a shame.

^Completely agree. You know it's bad when even the Pokemon anime has better animation!

I actually think Super improved a lot. It still has some animations problems but story-wise it's the best DB, easily. And the fight scenes are easily the best too, we can tell wich fighting style they are using, it's not just punches and energy balls. And the entire new set of gods thar put Goku and Vegeta to shame opened up a lot of possibilities since at Z ending we thought nothing could beat Goku. I'd rather have Super aired instead of GT anyday. 

Around the Network
Farsala said:

I think the real reason is variety, so I agree with you.

Having 2/3 characters that are majorly focused on video games would be a bit much.

As you say

1. Tsubasa: Sports manga / anime

2. Doraemon: Orignally manga, but massive in all japanese media now and an old icon that people over 30 might recognize.

3. Mario: Video games

Pac-Man was also there though, but I do agree it's about diversity, so only one Nintendo representative was needed.

invetedlotus123 said:

I actually think Super improved a lot. It still has some animations problems but story-wise it's the best DB, easily. And the fight scenes are easily the best too, we can tell wich fighting style they are using, it's not just punches and energy balls. And the entire new set of gods thar put Goku and Vegeta to shame opened up a lot of possibilities since at Z ending we thought nothing could beat Goku. I'd rather have Super aired instead of GT anyday. 

Eh, this isn't really the place to talk about this, so my bads for bringing it up. 

Darwinianevolution said:
-Pokemon
-Not well known

What? Even without the Go boost, it was already popular. Pikachu is at least as well-known as Mario at this point.

I think the fact that Mario was chosen, by Nintendo, over Pikachu disproves that. Mario is the bigger IP.

Player2 said:
AZWification said:

Interesting, but I still don't think they are more well-known than Pokemon.

They aren't as well known as Pokemon, but if they wanted to show something that mixes anime and sports Tsubasa is the best choice because he's the most popular. Doraemon has been an ambassador of Tokyo 2020 since 2013 so he had to be there.

Oh, I wasn't aware that Doraemon is the ambassador of Tokyo 2020. I guess Tsubasa also makes sense since it combines sports and anime. I also wasn't aware of the show's popularity, it apparently inspired  Fernando Torres and Iniesta ( among others) to become footballers!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I'm guessing they had to make a tough choice between Mario or Pokemon since I doubt the committee would let Nintendo simultaneously use two mascots for the Tokyo Olympics 2020 instead of 1 like everyone else.

Ka-pi96 said:
pray4mojo said:

I think the fact that Mario was chosen, by Nintendo, over Pikachu disproves that. Mario is the bigger IP.

Or maybe Nintendo would just rather promote the IP they 100% own rather than the one they only 33% own...

If Nintendo were that anti-Pokemon, they wouldn't promote it at all. lol