By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Was Left Out of The 2016 Olympics Closing Ceremony Due to International Recognition

invetedlotus123 said:
BraLoD said:

Goku is many times more popular than Superman around here.

I know, wanted to be more apologetic in my words, but I agree with you. And I can say for sure that Freeza is more recognized than any Superman villain here. Dragon Ball aired in it's entirety from Dragon Ball to GT on open TV, many times. It's a shame that is certain that Super will only be aired in Pay TV. 

It's a south american thing, I'd say Dragon Ball is bigger than anything in the minds of anyone under 30 something here in Chile. I'd say DBZ in the 90s was even bigger than Pokemon ever was 

Around the Network

Mario is better known to a wider variety of ages, Mario has been around since the 80s, so this was an easy choice.

AZWification said:
Player2 said:

They aren't as well known as Pokemon, but if they wanted to show something that mixes anime and sports Tsubasa is the best choice because he's the most popular. Doraemon has been an ambassador of Tokyo 2020 since 2013 so he had to be there.

Oh, I wasn't aware that Doraemon is the ambassador of Tokyo 2020. I guess Tsubasa also makes sense since it combines sports and anime. I also wasn't aware of the show's popularity, it apparently inspired  Fernando Torres and Iniesta ( among others) to become footballers!

I'd think most footballers of any latin nation loved the show when they were kids. Some even say one of the reasons Alexis Sanchez chose Barca over other teams at the moment was because it was the team where Tsubasa played in the anime 

Ka-pi96 said:
pray4mojo said:

If Nintendo were that anti-Pokemon, they wouldn't promote it at all. lol

Why would that make them anti-Pokemon? Just means that Mario is more valuable to them since all the revenue generated from it is solely for them.

But when did Nintendo say or even hint that they chose Mario over Pokemon because of revenue? According to the OP, the reasons were given and it was due to Pokémon not being as well-known comparatively worldwide. 

pastro243 said:
AZWification said:

Oh, I wasn't aware that Doraemon is the ambassador of Tokyo 2020. I guess Tsubasa also makes sense since it combines sports and anime. I also wasn't aware of the show's popularity, it apparently inspired  Fernando Torres and Iniesta ( among others) to become footballers!

I'd think most footballers of any latin nation loved the show when they were kids. Some even say one of the reasons Alexis Sanchez chose Barca over other teams at the moment was because it was the team where Tsubasa played in the anime 

You learn something new everyday it seems. I really wasn't aware that Tsubasa was such an important anime in Latin America and Spain!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
pray4mojo said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Why would that make them anti-Pokemon? Just means that Mario is more valuable to them since all the revenue generated from it is solely for them.

But when did Nintendo say or even hint that they chose Mario over Pokemon because of revenue? According to the OP, the reasons were given and it was due to Pokémon not being as well-known comparatively worldwide. 

It wasn't Nintendo's choice. It wasn't even Nintendo's idea.  Apparently they were approached and asked whether Mario could be 'borrowed' for the event. They are not an official Olympic Games sponsor, either.

I didn't know Oliver's name in Japan was Tsubasa.

Ka-pi96 said:
pray4mojo said:

That may be what they say, and it may even be what they think (although imo Pokemon>Mario) doesn't mean it's the actual reason though.

But you're just basing all of that on your own opinion without any statistical data or facts. Do you have any thing substantial to support what you're accusing them of? 

Doraemon is an absolute icon in many Asian countries and is much more culturally significant and influential than Pokemon.

And yet they had Doraemon, who is definitely no where near as recognizable as Pikachu...

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."