By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Today is the Super Nintendo's 25th birthday (in N. America).

Now that I think of it yesterday was the 29th anniversary of the "The Legend of Zelda" american release. If you're asking how I remember it it's because it's the same day as my birthday :v

Around the Network

Happy birthday, SNES! I will never forget the amount of fun I had with games like Mario World, Mega Man X, Super Castlevania IV and Super Mario RPG!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Happy Birthsday to you Super Nintendo, the best console of all time!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Hiku said:
Well then maybe someone can tell me why it became gray and purple in the US? I've always wondered.

They felft the multi-color looked too childish.  My, how times have changed...

Still my pick for the greatest video game system of all time.

So many amazing games; Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Starfox, F-Zero, A Link to the Past...

Its colourful 2D pixel art still looks great today, its sound capabilities are sufficient to create fantastic music that has stood the test of time, and the controller is a triumph of both form and function that set the standard for the industry. The console itself looks sleek, sturdy, and classy, (the PAL version, anyway, the US version does look kinda arse) and there are no load times, no hour-long day 1 patches or mandatory installs, or any of the fluff and bullshit of modern gaming.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
Hiku said:
Well then maybe someone can tell me why it became gray and purple in the US? I've always wondered.

This always felt like a cop-out reason. The only color parts on the Super Fami, was the controller buttons and logo. Why wasn't those just colored the purples. And the console shape, left as is..

JRPGfan said:
I wish they had done a SNES mini instead of the NES one.
30+ SNES games on a small cute 59$ SNES console would be awesome.

You'll have to wait till next holiday season for the SNES mini.

archer9234 said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

This always felt like a cop-out reason. The only color parts on the Super Fami, was the controller buttons and logo. Why wasn't those just colored the purples. And the console shape, left as is..

I was talking about the colour, not the shape. I'm not sure what exactly they'd be "copping out" of - other devices on the market were black and sinister.  They wanted a subdued colour palette.

If you're wondering about the shape, that was due to the number one reason for ruined NES units was spilled liquid.  NOA altered the shape of SNES so that it was difficult to set a drink on it.

SNES was my first console, and by far my favorite one. It has such an awesome library, probably one of the best ever.

TheLastStarFighter said:
archer9234 said:

I was talking about the colour, not the shape. I'm not sure what exactly they'd be "copping out" of - other devices on the market were black and sinister.  They wanted a subdued colour palette.

If you're wondering about the shape, that was due to the number one reason for ruined NES units was spilled liquid.  NOA altered the shape of SNES so that it was difficult to set a drink on it.

Both consoles still share grey. The PS1 was grey. PC's were grey, in the 90's. It was a normal electronic color. Black was stereo's, Sega Genesis', and VCR's. Spilling drinks? Both consoles have flat areas. You can still put a drink on either one. The SuFami is worse off. Those explinations are still bizzare. I'm thinking these reasons. Europe importing US games. And redesigning the system, for no reason. Just for the sake of doing it. The NES had a reason. The Famicom model 1 was actually a bad design. The SuFami, no.