By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Says It’s Looking To Appeal To Both Causal And Core Gamers With NX

Casual gamers are gamers that play casual games. I.E. Clash of Clans, Brain Age, Pokemon Go,and stuff like that. Games that you play for short sessions daily over periods of months or years.

"Hardcore gamer" is a pretentious term which certain gamers call themselves to sound special. Kind of like bloggers who call themselves "Social Media Rockstars," "Blogger in chief," or when fast food restaurants call their employees "Sandwich artists."
In other words, hardcore gaming/gamers is an imaginary fantasy label that certain gamers use to make themselves, and their video-games of choice, seem extra special. It's a bullshit term.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Qwark said:

melbye said:
Nintendo says they want to appeal to everybody

Idiots hear that Nintendo only want to appeal to casual gamers

Fans from other platforms are asking how Nintendo is going to appeal to both markets and release enough software to keep both audiences entertained.

its a reasonable question, especially since it doesnt seem like they want to increase size of production teams

Jumpin said:

Casual gamers are gamers that play casual games. I.E. Clash of Clans, Brain Age, Pokemon Go,and stuff like that. Games that you play for short sessions daily over periods of months or years.

"Hardcore gamer" is a pretentious term which certain gamers call themselves to sound special. Kind of like bloggers who call themselves "Social Media Rockstars," "Blogger in chief," or when fast food restaurants call their employees "Sandwich artists."
In other words, hardcore gaming/gamers is an imaginary fantasy label that certain gamers use to make themselves, and their video-games of choice, seem extra special. It's a bullshit term.

Hardcore gamer just means experienced gamer. 

If you're going to say with a straight face there's no difference between the person who plays Clash of Clans for 40 minutes a week and the guy who can play Street Fighter, Elder Scrolls, GTA, and you can put Bloodborne in front of them and they can be off playing it with no problem in 30 seconds ... if you're saying there's no distinction between those audiences, that is more bullshit IMO. 

There is an obvious difference, you don't need any special skill to eat a sandwhich, but you put Street Fighter V in front of a soccer mom/smartphone only gamer and most of them probably won't know how the hell to even play the game let alone enjoy it. 

As long as NX becomes their sole device to put software in, the NX should be fine.

KLAMarine said:
As long as NX becomes their sole device to put software in, the NX should be fine.

Probably gotta have those Android apps too I think. If this goes the way of the Wii U developer wise then at least Nintendo will have some developer revenue to fall back on from Android games and it'll give the library some diversity aside from just the same 15 Nintendo franchises over and over again. 

A tablet like device in this day and age without the Android apps that kids love probably is DOA too, gotta have 'em. This is going to be Nintendo's play to try and get back some of that tablet audience I think. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Jumpin said:

If you're going to say with a straight face there's no difference between the person who plays Clash of Clans for 40 minutes a week and the guy who can play Street Fighter, Elder Scrolls, GTA, and you can put Bloodborne in front of them and they can be off playing it with no problem in 30 seconds ... if you're saying there's no distinction between those audiences, that is more bullshit IMO. 

There is an obvious difference, you don't need any special skill to eat a sandwhich, but you put Street Fighter V in front of a soccer mom/smartphone only gamer and most of them probably won't know how the hell to even play the game let alone enjoy it. 

I don't know about that, if this baby had no problem dealing with SFV then I don't see why would a soccer mom have problems.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Soundwave said:
KLAMarine said:

Probably gotta have those Android apps too I think. If this goes the way of the Wii U developer wise then at least Nintendo will have some developer revenue to fall back on from Android games and it'll give the library some diversity aside from just the same 15 Nintendo franchises over and over again. 

A tablet like device in this day and age without the Android apps that kids love probably is DOA too, gotta have 'em. This is going to be Nintendo's play to try and get back some of that tablet audience I think. 

I'm not terribly familiar with the Android gaming scene and I have a hard time recalling Android app games ever being discussed in gaming forums I've frequented in the past. I do have a nephew who plays some games on his tablet but he's also very much interested in playing games on other devices.

They can't afford another Wii U, they'll probably have to choose between a small but loyal user base or a bigger and more profitable audience offering less stability.
They can't really have both, I was hoping they learnt as much in the 8th gen.

BasilZero said:

Just give me the following and I'll be happy no matter what.

-Super Mario
-Pokemon
-Donkey Kong
-The Legend of Zelda
-Kirby

Too bad they need more than you to be profitable.

Soundwave said:
Jumpin said:

I only said that casual games were an actual thing, while hardcore games are not. I never claimed Clash of Clans was the same type of game as an RPG, an action adventure, a game like GTA, or Elder Scrolls, Bloodborne, the Bourne Identity, or whatever.

More specifically, I am saying that someone who sits on a couch all day and declares "I'm a hardcore gamer! And my games are hardcore games!" because they play console games like GTA is pungently pretentious.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.