By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which company should buy the Konami gaming IPs?

Tagged games:

Who?

Bandai Namco 16 9.41%

Capcom 6 3.53%

Tecmo Koei 2 1.18%

Sony 82 48.24%

Nintendo 39 22.94%

505 games 0 0%

Square Enix 10 5.88%

Sega 8 4.71%

A western publisher 2 1.18%

Other 5 2.94%

Total:170
fleischr said:

Well... whaddya think? If another company came in and bought all of Konami's gaming IPs, who would be the best fit and why?

Personally - my vote would be for Bandai Namco. They could give MGS and Silent Hill the AAA treatment needed while making sure smaller properties get the attention and love they deserve. Of all the leading japanese companies, I'd consider Namco-Bandai the most likely to do a DDR arcade/home console game if given the chance. Zone of the Enders would mesh really with Gundam. Bandai Namco's strength in anime franchises would be great for rebooting the Mystical Ninja IP. Suikoden and Castlevania could very easily find their way into capable hands with Namco-Bandai at the helm.

note: I think Bandai Namco is a fairly decent pick because they have had a good track record in recent years with a wide variety type of games

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
Lol, Crapcom. Out of all these...probably Square Enix. But if we're talking western devs, which the Japanese won't do for a trillion dollars [i.e. selling a jap gaming company to U.S. or EU], I'd say Naughty Dog, even though they're Sony's.

look at the time it takes Square Enix to release valuable IPs of theirs like Final Fantasy, they're too slow and inefficient, nor are they large enough. You'd end up with the same issue as Konami (well maybe not quite as bad, but still) with properties sitting and growing dust (especially the Hudson Soft ones)

the problem with this question is I feel like you're rather limited.... unless you're dividing Konami's IPs across a ton of different software developers (uncommon, generally when a corp disolves their games one buyer bids for most), then the only developers large enough and dedicated enough at this point to handle that many important IPs would be Nintendo or Sony

Konami has a shit ton of great IPs. Castlevania, Contra, Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Bomberman, etc. etc., it would have to be one of the big three and Microsoft fails at taking properties and evolving them (look at Rare)

Kagerow said:
AZWification said:

Probably SE or Namco, but I don't think all of their IPs should go to a single company. The Hudson IPs and Mystical Ninja should go to Nintendo, ZoE and Suidoken to Namco, Metal Gear and Silent Hill to Sony, Castlevania to Square Enix and Contra to SNK.

I don't believe SNK will even bother with Contra, based on latest release on that franchise, it is straight up worse Metal Slug, and I have doubt on how much brnad power Contra holds.

I think Castlevania to SNK and Suidoken and ZoE to Enix might do better.

That said, you left out Bemani and other minor franchises out. I'd like Nintendo to try perfecting Elebits.

its all about brand power, Contra is iconic and if its well done will sell great. same with Castlevania. Just because the last installments blew doesn't magically erase loads of good games prior to the PS2 era or so

QUAKECore89 said:
Probably Sony should buy highly intensely games like Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Contra and even Castlevania while Nintendo should buy Hudson IP... Yes Bomberman or Bonk.

Don't look at me, I'm just saying. ._.

if we're being realistic, just for the record, if Konami were to put up their biggest gaming IPs for sale tomorrow- Sony would in no way shape or form be able to bid with Nintendo, they have far less available cash. I also disagree that Sony would be better suited for Castlevania or Contra- those are games that frankly lend themselves to being structured in a level sense or as platformers. And even if you do go 3D with them who has the best track record in the world at translating sidescrollers into 3D? (NINTENDO).

I'm not going to debate Sony being more in tune with Metal Gear Solid though, that's obvious. although then as a Nintendo fan I would argue that possibly I would WANT Nintendo to get more adult IPs like Metal Gear and Silent Hll so they're FORCED to make 'older' games

I don't think anyone could buy ALL of their IPs, not even MS. I think a more split division of the IPs would be far more likely, that beeing said Bomberman must go to Nintendo, same should happen to Castlevania...

Around the Network

Well, let's see.

ZoE would be handed to Monolith Soft, they make great looking mechs and are known for their ability to let you customize EVERYTHING!

Silent Hill would go to Tecmo Koei, Fatal Frame V was an atmospheric masterpiece and stands as one if not THE greatest survival horror games this gen. Now give them the time and budget for a franchise as big and sells as well as Silent Hill and buy new socks. The ones you have now would be blown the f off.

Castlevania would be given to Nintendo but be outsourced to Platinum under a AAA budget. I don't trust Platinum with any IP by themselves anymore after the flood of arcade titles. Platinum gets free reign though like Bayo 2. Just sign the f'n checks Nintendo.

MGS would go to Valhalla Studios, because the IP needs someone who's a bit strange to bring the series back from the white bread MGS V disaster.

Suikoden would also go to Monolith Soft. They can craft a hell of a story revolving around religeon, let's allow them to take a crack at an extremely heavy political plot.

invetedlotus123 said:
If ever Konami sell their big console IP`s ( first they`ll milk it to the very last drop with Free-To-Play for mobile, super generic shooters and Pachinko Machines) I think the best new home would be Sony. Many of their big franchises are already associated with the PS brand like MGS, PES and Silent Hill, and Sony proved it can do great first party. And, from a very delusional wish, would be the only change to Kojima to put his hands back in Metal Gear, since Sony could open a new studio for him to take care of some Konami franchises.

But Konami won`t sell them. What we can hope for is them hiring some great outsourced studio to take care of them.

Didn't Kojima say he was tired of working on Metal Gear? Would be pretty shitty if after he was finally able to distance himself from the series and spread his wings for Sony to bust down his door and beg him to do a Metal Gear.

Kerotan said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Kinda late for that now xD

Hulk hogan then. 

So that would be Game Freak/Nintendo then

Swordmasterman said:
Kojima Productions should purchase each one of Konami's IPs. Maybe when Death Stranding launch, and after Konami devalue their franchises, they will have enought money to purchase them all.

Yeaaaaaaah... I'm positive that you don't realize how valuable some of Konami's IPs are, even if they devaluated in the next 4/5 years they would never ever be affordable by a newborn team like Kojima Productions, not even Death Stranding's release...

bigtakilla said:
Well, let's see.

ZoE would be handed to Monolith Soft, they make great looking mechs and are known for their ability to let you customize EVERYTHING!

Silent Hill would go to Tecmo Koei, Fatal Frame V was an atmospheric masterpiece and stands as one if not THE greatest survival horror games this gen. Now give them the time and budget for a franchise as big and sells as well as Silent Hill and buy new socks. The ones you have now would be blown the f off.

Castlevania would be given to Nintendo but be outsourced to Platinum under a AAA budget. I don't trust Platinum with any IP by themselves anymore after the flood of arcade titles. Platinum gets free reign though like Bayo 2. Just sign the f'n checks Nintendo.

MGS would go to Valhalla Studios, because the IP needs someone who's a bit strange to bring the series back from the white bread MGS V disaster.

Suikoden would also go to Monolith Soft. They can craft a hell of a story revolving around religeon, let's allow them to take a crack at an extremely heavy political plot.

You almost got me with ZoE with Monolith Soft (which would be extremely cool) but then MGS to Valhalla Studios ? Ewwwww that studio as of now is worse than Konami: they have become the b**ch of a Korean Mobile game giant corporation...

TallSilhouette said:

Castlevania: buncha companies could take an interesting crack at it, let's go with Nintendo
Silent Hill: Sony or Namco
Contra: Klei for 2D, Platinum could do an interesting 3D take, or SEGA if they bring their A game
Metal Gear: I think Naughty Dog could do it justice if it was more TLOU than Uncharted, or Eidos or IO on a good day
Suikoden: any JRPG company that still has the mojo
Gradius: Housemarque
Zone of the Enders: Give it back to Kojima! - or Platinum
Bomberman: Nintendo

A 3D Contra game made by Platinum would be great! They already showed us with Vanquish that they are more than capable to make very fun 3rd person shooters!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

mountaindewslave said:

Sega fails at managing to maintain success with their OWN IPs (Sonic, Golden Axe, Alex Kidd, etc.) so I think you're a bit off with that

Neither are the rest, even SE tbh.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"