By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is This Misleading Marketing? (Sony and NMS)

NMS had one of the most misleading and smart marketings I have ever seen, very few knew what the game was about yet many wanted it, it was a masterclass of empty hype, a pretty popular practice for certain companies this days, is very effective to have the people hyped for something for years even if the product is a piece of garbage, but during all those years they were trusting you, and talking good things about you, and buying your products. The hype is money.

And yes, the actual game looks far worse than those trailers.

Around the Network
Luke888 said:
Kindaish, while the whole space combat thing seems to have been scrapped out (which is a big chunk of gameplay beeing cut off the game) we really don't know if planets like that one are out there in No Man's Sky, certainly those we've seen so far are far worse, but who knows, maybe we've been just unlucky, I don't own the game but from all the gameplay I've seen there was only one planet that looked remotely as good as that one in the gameplay. Still it's very likely that they made it so that the player couldn't land on a desert planet like those who fill 80% of the actual game...

I can't attest to the quality of outer space combat but I just got back from a stream Azuren had invited me to. We started out on a barren planet which he left not long after and then we came across a planet that was certainly more lush, certainly more comparable to the planet Sean had shown off at E3 2015 so there are certainly planets that look similar to the planet from E3 2015.

That said, the E3 2014 footage is not gameplay footage as the title of the video seems to suggest. That video title needs to change.

Goodnightmoon said:
NMS had one of the most misleading and smart marketings I have ever seen, very few knew what the game was about yet many wanted, it was a masterclass of empty hype, a really common practice of certain companies this days.

As of now, I would agree with this statement when it comes to E3 2014, not as much with E3 2015.

KLAMarine said:
Goodnightmoon said:
NMS had one of the most misleading and smart marketings I have ever seen, very few knew what the game was about yet many wanted, it was a masterclass of empty hype, a really common practice of certain companies this days.

As of now, I would agree with this statement when it comes to E3 2014, not as much with E3 2015.

True, but the one from 2014 is ridiculously beautiful in comparison with the actual game.

Goodnightmoon said:
KLAMarine said:

True, but the one from 2014 is ridiculously beautiful in comparison with the actual game.

Indeed it is so the name of the video needs to be changed.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
If you want to see whats really misleading about No Mans Sky and whats been cut check out my thread here http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=219578&page=1#

Certainly interesting, will give the thread a look later on. Thanks very much.

I'm disappointed in some thing but otherwise the game is a space exploration like they said. I'm enjoying NMS for what it is but there seems to be lacking a few things which the original 'pitch' showed and I wonder, why?

The big one for me is a very simple one, draw distance. In the trailers you fly out of the space station and can see some asteroids in the distance, in the main game, you can't until closer. Yet some of those trailers are meant to be gameplay so why did they remove that or change it? Could the PS4 not handle it?

Some of the planets have been fine but the way the game has generated them doesn't mean all planets will be A-spec. The last one I went to was amazing, it had like these giant mushroom trees and flying eels. I dunno, I hope with a few updates it'll be even better.

Hmm, pie.

Proud of Sony fans for the way they dealt with this thread. Actually were open to discussing. Let's just say the thread similar to this but against MS got locked because of the way people behaved. Keep the standard.

I had never seen either of those trailers before.

I have played the game for 60 hours or so.

I have seen most of what is in the trailer or something very similiar. The only deception might be (now seeing those trailers) is that most places are that interesting. When in the game when you find those places you feel like you have stumbled on a gem. Planets like the one shown (with the dinosaurs) are 1 in 100. But they do exist, I have been to one(like I said, they are rare., but do exist).

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

tokilamockingbrd said:
I had never seen either of those trailers before.

I have played the game for 60 hours or so.

I have seen most of what is in the trailer or something very similiar. The only deception might be (now seeing those trailers) is that most places are that interesting. When in the game when you find those places you feel like you have stumbled on a gem. Planets like the one shown (with the dinosaurs) are 1 in 100. But they do exist, I have been to one(like I said, they are rare., but do exist).

With a countless trillions of planets and billions of systems, not every planet will have the right algorithm to produce real wonder. I've (according to my milestone) only hyper jumped 14 times, I've gone through 2 black holes, so I've only visited a potential 40 planets. 40. How dare they not all be like the trailers.

Hmm, pie.