By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - July 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware and software up!

Aquamarine said:
zorg1000 said:

Wow thats alot of neat info!!!!!

But you said Gameboy software continued to dominate then went on to show that Color software had 55% marketshare in 1999 & 68% marketshare in 2000 compared to 45% & 31% for Gameboy.

Also NOA dominance really isnt that surprising considering one thing, Pokemon.1999/2000 was the peak of Pokemania.

Normally, old-gen tapers off much more quickly once the new-gen is out.

In my opinion, that's quite a significant % of software revenues for an old console that's had a clear successor out for two years. Maybe "dominated" is a little extreme, but it gets the point across.

The Game Boy Color lasted for less than three years before the Game Boy Advance came out, and it couldn't even command a significant majority of software. That's pretty bad.

Game Boy Color weakness tends to get glossed over because of how well the hardware sold.

Technically GBC was not a new gen, it was an upgrade similar to DSi or New 3DS and even though it had alot of exclusives, many games were still compatible with older models.

Also the fact that Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow were original GB titles really helps out its % despite a large number of people buying and playing them on GBC.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
boypita said:
I don´t understand well, does this mean that 3DS sold 176K in USA in july?

Yup, you got it

Edit: actually, we dont know how much it sold. We just know it sold at least 176k units. But you got the main idea right (in the US and in July).

But if this is true it means that the 3DS sold at least 67K in Week 3 and in Week 4 :O

From 20K (of week 2) to 67K (of week 3), it´s hard to believe that´s why I´m so impressed.

boypita said:
Slarvax said:

Yup, you got it

Edit: actually, we dont know how much it sold. We just know it sold at least 176k units. But you got the main idea right (in the US and in July).

But if this is true it means that the 3DS sold at least 67K in Week 3 and in Week 4 :O

From 20K (of week 2) to 67K (of week 3), it´s hard to believe that´s why I´m so impressed.

Dude that's just VGC data, which is almost always off.

Ryng_Tolu said:
boypita said:

Recent VGC data is ALWAYS off...that's the point behind it. Until leaks come out, VGC data is purely estimates, not based on any kind of fact.

Many research companies perform similar services estimating different types of data...like how well mobile games sold.

Aquamarine said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Recent VGC data is ALWAYS off...that's the point behind it. Until leaks come out, VGC data is purely estimates, not based on any kind of fact.

Many research companies perform similar services estimating different types of data...like how well mobile games sold.

Well yeah, i don't said "always off" because there are some thimes where VGC guess are something close to actual numbers, but even then, it's just a random guess, like may be right or wrong but is a guess / estimate and nothing more.

If i'm not wrong, VGC only track a bit more than 0% of USA market?

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
Aquamarine said:

Well yeah, i don't said "always off" because there are some thimes where VGC guess are something close to actual numbers, but even then, it's just a random guess, like may be right or wrong but is a guess / estimate and nothing more.

VGChartz directly tracks / samples 2-3% of the USA retail market and estimates the other 97-98%.

In comparison, NPD directly tracks 95% of the USA retail market and estimates the other 5%.

Aquamarine said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

VGChartz directly tracks / samples 2-3% of the USA retail market and estimates the other 97-98%.

In comparison, NPD directly tracks 95% of the USA retail market and estimates the other 5%.

Huum actually 2-3% is a bit better than i thought, but yeah i get the point.

Hey Aquamarine or anyone else that has been keeping track of the numbers, could you help me out? According to the info collected here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=190092 the LTD for the the PS4 is at 3950k as of August 2014, but I have it at 3954k when everything adds up. I have the XB1 and Wii U LTD accurate, but only the PS4 is off.

These are the numbers I have for Nov 2013 to Aug 2014

Any help would be appreciated.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

naruball said:
hudsoniscool said:

Your right it might be more. Maybe 10% of gamers are aware of it, but maybe it's less than 1%. But I being a xbox fan could sit here and say Scorpio is hugely affecting xbox's sales, but I'm not. 

I'm simply arguing against the principle of talking about percentages with nothing to back it up. I also think you're underestimating how well informed the average potential console owner is. Thanks to the internet even people who don't game at all have heard a thing or two about Neo. Last time a female friend (who has never onwed a console in her life) asked me what I did in the weekend and I told her I played a ps4 game, she asked me if I was buying a Neo this Christmas. Then a friend who only plays Fifa on PC and hasn't game on a console since the ps2 days told me that he was thinking of buying a ps4, but wasn't sure if he should wait for Neo.

I believe that things have changed thanks to how much people are bombarded with info on all kind of sites, and even facebook.

As for xbox. You can honestly say whatever you want. I don't care for console wars. But saying for example "xb1 sales would have been 30% higher if it weren't for Scorpio having been announced" is just wrong. You simply don't know that and there's no point bringing percentages into a discussion if you have nothing to back them up.

Ur right bringing percentages into the convo is dumb when there is no info to back them up. Probably shouldn't have but someone saying ' ps4 sales would be way higher if not for the neo rumors' is also equally wrong without data to back that up. That's what I was responding to, but I should have just expressed my opinion and asked someone to not express theirs as a fact. I should have done that instead of doing exactly what that person was doing and pulling something out of thin air.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

hudsoniscool said:
naruball said:

I'm simply arguing against the principle of talking about percentages with nothing to back it up. I also think you're underestimating how well informed the average potential console owner is. Thanks to the internet even people who don't game at all have heard a thing or two about Neo. Last time a female friend (who has never onwed a console in her life) asked me what I did in the weekend and I told her I played a ps4 game, she asked me if I was buying a Neo this Christmas. Then a friend who only plays Fifa on PC and hasn't game on a console since the ps2 days told me that he was thinking of buying a ps4, but wasn't sure if he should wait for Neo.

I believe that things have changed thanks to how much people are bombarded with info on all kind of sites, and even facebook.

As for xbox. You can honestly say whatever you want. I don't care for console wars. But saying for example "xb1 sales would have been 30% higher if it weren't for Scorpio having been announced" is just wrong. You simply don't know that and there's no point bringing percentages into a discussion if you have nothing to back them up.

Ur right bringing percentages into the convo is dumb when there is no info to back them up. Probably shouldn't have but someone saying ' ps4 sales would be way higher if not for the neo rumors' is also equally wrong without data to back that up. That's what I was responding to, but I should have just expressed my opinion and asked someone to not express theirs as a fact. I should have done that instead of doing exactly what that person was doing and pulling something out of thin air.

it is. I'm glad we agree.