By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - July 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware and software up!

TheBlackNaruto said:
Okay....now I can see why Sony still is keeping this BO3 bundle going...it still sells like freaking crazy. This game is insane...

Does Sony even still supply any other SKU in the US? Maybe a few Limited Edition Uncharted 4 bundles? I don't think people who want a PS4 really have much of a choice.

Around the Network
naruball said:
hudsoniscool said:

Rumors that only 1% of the market hear is killing its sales? Maybe by 5-10k MAX.

source for the percentage you just posted?

I mean, why don't just speak for yourself and the people you know? How can you possibly guess such a number?

Your right it might be more. Maybe 10% of gamers are aware of it, but maybe it's less than 1%. But I being a xbox fan could sit here and say Scorpio is hugely affecting xbox's sales, but I'm not. 

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Playstation_awaiter said:
jason1637 said:
Monster hunter and Pokemon did well. XB1 outsold PS4 so Amazons track record is still good. The rest of the year should be interesting.

I doubt it, after this month I expect ps4 to win every month. September depends on whatever the hell they are announcing at the meeting. 

September seems like an easy win. As for October MS has Gears 4 ,Marketing and probably bundles for BF1, titanfall is known more on xbox and i cant see Sony releasing a new system like a ps4slim or a neo because of the PSVR will launch then.

zorg1000 said:
Aquamarine said:

With a combined USA installbase of 26.55 million, Sony and Microsoft are at a critical juncture. They are at a point where they have to further demonstrate value proposition for the USA consumer. Resting on their laurels has become increasingly harder to drive sell-through.

I'm not convinced that Neo and Scorpio have enough core pull that Sony and Microsoft can continue to speed up growth rates. Rather, their presence along with lower-cost base models will be just good enough to sustain the status quo in the year of release (~5 million consoles in the USA each per year, check the chart in the OP).

Companies like Microsoft and Sony are most concerned about future growth more than anything, so there will likely be some internal panic over their failure to turn into runaway successes. Maybe they'll speed up release of the PS5 to 2019...but it could go either way depending on sales trends.

I've personally never thought that incremental hardware upgrades are the optimal strategy for companies. They can be a decent stopgap in a pinch, but they never represent the future and it was disappointing to see both Sony and Microsoft prioritize them. Prior examples in the USA: Sega utterly failed with the 32X / Sega CD upgrades, Game Boy Color sales weren't anything special, etc.

So I'm projecting that Neo and Scorpio keep the two alive through 2017 and into 2018 with tapering growth rates over-time. 2019 and beyond the two consoles will need to be replaced.

Virtual Reality is a complete unknown. According to Steamspy, Job Simulator (an HTC Vive Pack-in) has 91,967 owners. HTC Vive seems to be the most popular VR platform right now, so only 100K worldwide owners is quite disappointing even considering the HTC Vive's steep price.

That doesn't bode well for a breakout success for PlayStation VR....although there have been other instances where a platform flourishes despite the failure of its competitor, so I'm willing to give PSVR the benefit of the doubt until I can look at some sales figures.

I would love to be proven wrong, though. It's always nice to see the markets flourish.

Sony dissolved the Tokyo-based Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Their new subsidiary, Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC.....is a company with headquarters in San Mateo, California.

PlayStation has become an American company, just like 7-Eleven USA (whose parent company is also Japanese).

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except for Gameboy Color didnt sell special. Nintendo shipped like 40+ million Gameboys from October 1998-March 2001 (2.5 years) and im assuming the vast majority of those were the Color variant.

Game Boy Color Hardware sold very well.

However, software wasn't nearly as strong, Game Boy software still dominated for almost the entire length of the Game Boy Color, and GBC software was almost completely dominated by Nintendo of America:

1999 Game Boy Software Marketshare:

Nintendo of America: 70%

THQ: 8%

Other: 7%

Hasbro / Midway / Namco / Acclaim: 3% each

Crave Ent. / Infogrames: 2% each

1998 Handheld Software Market Breakdown (Rev):

Game Boy: 78%

Game Boy Color: 19%

Other: 3%

1999 Handheld Software Market Breakdown (Rev):

Game Boy: 45%

Game Boy Color: 55%

Neo Geo Pocket: 0.3%

Other: 0.1%

2000 First Half Handheld Software Market Breakdown:

Game Boy: 31%

Game Boy Color: 68%

Neo Geo: 1%

Aquamarine said:
zorg1000 said:

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except for Gameboy Color didnt sell special. Nintendo shipped like 40+ million Gameboys from October 1998-March 2001 (2.5 years) and im assuming the vast majority of those were the Color variant.

However, software wasn't nearly as strong, Game Boy software still dominated for almost the entire length of the Game Boy Color, and GBC software was almost completely dominated by Nintendo of America:

Wow thats alot of neat info!!!!!

But you said Gameboy software continued to dominate then went on to show that Color software had 55% marketshare in 1999 & 68% marketshare in 2000 compared to 45% & 31% for Gameboy.

Also NOA dominance really isnt that surprising considering one thing, Pokemon.1999/2000 was the peak of Pokemania.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Aquamarine said:

Wow thats alot of neat info!!!!!

But you said Gameboy software continued to dominate then went on to show that Color software had 55% marketshare in 1999 & 68% marketshare in 2000 compared to 45% & 31% for Gameboy.

Also NOA dominance really isnt that surprising considering one thing, Pokemon.1999/2000 was the peak of Pokemania.

Normally, old-gen tapers off much more quickly once the new-gen is out.

In my opinion, that's quite a significant % of software revenues for an old console that's had a clear successor out for two years. Maybe "dominated" is a little extreme, but it gets the point across.

The Game Boy Color lasted for less than three years before the Game Boy Advance came out, and it couldn't even command a significant majority of software. That's pretty bad.

Game Boy Color weakness tends to get glossed over because of how well the hardware sold.

I don´t understand well, does this mean that 3DS sold 176K in USA in july?

boypita said:
I don´t understand well, does this mean that 3DS sold 176K in USA in july?

Yup, you got it

Edit: actually, we dont know how much it sold. We just know it sold at least 176k units. But you got the main idea right (in the US and in July).

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

hudsoniscool said:
naruball said:

source for the percentage you just posted?

I mean, why don't just speak for yourself and the people you know? How can you possibly guess such a number?

Your right it might be more. Maybe 10% of gamers are aware of it, but maybe it's less than 1%. But I being a xbox fan could sit here and say Scorpio is hugely affecting xbox's sales, but I'm not. 

I'm simply arguing against the principle of talking about percentages with nothing to back it up. I also think you're underestimating how well informed the average potential console owner is. Thanks to the internet even people who don't game at all have heard a thing or two about Neo. Last time a female friend (who has never onwed a console in her life) asked me what I did in the weekend and I told her I played a ps4 game, she asked me if I was buying a Neo this Christmas. Then a friend who only plays Fifa on PC and hasn't game on a console since the ps2 days told me that he was thinking of buying a ps4, but wasn't sure if he should wait for Neo.

I believe that things have changed thanks to how much people are bombarded with info on all kind of sites, and even facebook.

As for xbox. You can honestly say whatever you want. I don't care for console wars. But saying for example "xb1 sales would have been 30% higher if it weren't for Scorpio having been announced" is just wrong. You simply don't know that and there's no point bringing percentages into a discussion if you have nothing to back them up.

Kerotan said:

Xbox sales are anything but impressive.  Ps4 are just average but it's got a lot more to give in future. 

True. Barely beat competition been 100$ cheaper.