By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Take On Cinematic Games?

Tagged games:

Why is your thread title about apples when the OP is about oranges?

Around the Network

I dont like cutscenes. I dont like a game to stop me for 10 minutes to watch exposition of stuff I already know or simply dont care about.

I understand games are "special" since they involve multiple media practices, but I play games. I dont read or watch them (kinda hypocritical since I watch a lot of LP and eSports...)

Edit: Of course, if a game has a good story, I'll welcome it. But I want 90% of my playtime being me playing.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

dont pay attention to anyone. just play what you enjoy :D

I don't really mind stories in video games as long as they are decent, but gameplay will be always be king to me.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

The stories in games usually suck. They are so boring, predictable and usually poorly written. Gameplay is significantly more important than the story for me.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
It's kinda give and take. First off video games simply don't have the best writers. If you're a great writer you're not going to pick video games as your profession, you most likely would aim for movies or barring that, TV if you don't want to write books.

So I mean I kinda get it, for me it's very hard to play a 30+ hour single player game of any kind any more unless I feel the story is half way decent. I need to have something to chew on besides just gameplay/exploration for that length of time.

But on the other hand, most video game stories do objectively kinda ... suck. If they were movies you would probably be a lot more critical of them.

I disagree with that considering some games stories are better than movies. Especially better than todays movies thats for damn sure.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

alternine said:

Here's the order for me: Gameplay > Story > Sound and Music > Graphics

Story > gameplay. Get gud scrub, you gotta lotta soup to eat 

Actually that's not entirely true as I prefer to value as a whole rather than separate categories. Nothing more annoying than "gameplay first "tho *rollseyes*

It depends, I have no problem playing games that have little to no emphasis on story as long as the gameplay is solid but at the same time I also love to sink my teeth into a fun game with a great story. However decent games with a large emphasis on a poor story have ended up ruining the entire experience for me.

I really dislike when some people start throwing out "that's not a game, that's a movie" or whatever. Who gives a fuck? If a lot of people are enjoying it, then that's all the justification needed. If you don't like that particular style of game then go play something else.

That closed-mindedness is kind of silly, when you think about it, as video-games themselves redefined what constitutes a "game", as did AD&D. I have no doubt there were people back then declaring that those were not games, as well.

You are of course entitled to your opinion and your favorite games. It's awesome that there are games of all genres, difficulty levels, and accessibilities for different games enthusiasts.

But I'm going to continue to push back against cinematic games because the storytelling demands of cinema do not work well with the interactive demands of video games. One has to be sacrificed for the other. Sometimes, rarely, a game will come along and straddle successfully the line between game and movie - Uncharted 2 comes to mind - but much more often the desire to tell a gripping story through cut-scenes interrupts the flow, pacing, and interactivity of a game. And that, for me, is a mistake.